Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Week-long Fast page 11

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ...You probably won't die if you eat a large meal after a fast...
    Probably.

Not to be alarmist or anything.

I am sure there are cases where consuming a large amount of food after a fast COULD kill someone, but you seem to be a healthy, well-nourished man in the prime of his life.

I think you are PROBABLY safe.

Yes, I know. I'm being snarky. Sometimes it just happens.

Paleobird Guest
    I think the idea that protein is somehow "hard to digest" is a CW/vegan propaganda leftover. I broke my four day fast with a big steak and was just fine. Meat is one of the easiest most completely digested things you could possibly eat.

Of course you might want to "work up to" it with smaller portions to let your shrunken stomach adjust.

Char, you are an inspiration. Seriously, major kudos to you.

I will be doing a 7-10 day fast sometime soon.

jadedgamerx is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations sir!

I enjoy the mental clarity and "power over food" feelings I get on the fast that we discussed earlier so I'm contemplating a fast from Friday night dinner on out and ending whenever I feel I need to. My fiancée will be working this weekend so I won't have to worry about her cooking things around me that make me "rumbly in my tumbly"...

I typically break my fast with a small portioned meal because I get stomach cramps almost regardless of what I break it with (usually the less fiber the better though). This time around I chose about 4oz. of BBQ/Rotisserie chicken and it gave me the usual 30-45 minute stomach cramp and then I could eat more and normally from there on out (maybe should have had less now that I think about it). Some people recommend breaking fasts with bone broth/soups and working your way up to more solid food as it's less uncomfortable that way. I've done the "soup as first meal" method and it still gave me a cramp so I decided to just use portion control when breaking my fast and that seems to be the biggest factor for me, sheer size. Applesauce sounds good, but goes a bit against the primal thing for me as even unsweetened it's pretty sugar dense compared to most fruits/veggies I consider primal ratio friendly and I like to make the base of my meals a high fat/protein source and add veggies/fruits ontop of that.

Disclaimer!*: I am by no means trying to lay judgement on this food choice, just my own personal feeling towards it, please everyone eat whatever you want and don't take this as a personal attack on "The Applesauce". :P

Wishing you health and happiness.
    Last edited by jadedgamerx; 12-11-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think the idea that protein is somehow "hard to digest" is a CW/vegan propaganda leftover. I broke my four day fast with a big steak and was just fine. Meat is one of the easiest most completely digested things you could possibly eat.
    I've always done this too. I never understood what all the fuss was about- lol

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Congrats! 8 days without food is no mean feat. Don't feel bad, you've got the rest of your life to do more fasts if you so choose. Enjoy your food
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Char Aznable is offline Member
    First, today's update:

Stats:
    Weight: 275.6
    BP: 116/70
    HR: 149 !!!

Great stats-- except for that heart rate! It's pretty high! Granted, I have eaten quite a lot of sodium today and the bolus of calories may be influencing this. Also, seeing as I've had more energy today, I've been moving around a lot faster than I have the past 8 days. It was a little frightening when I saw that number come up, but I'll keep an eye on it and take it in stride. I lost .2 pounds, which is interesting, and my blood pressure is great!

Feeling really, really good. The change is mostly psychological, but it's a substantial change nonetheless. I feel pleasant and talkative now that I've had food. I began with the applesauce, moved onto some dark chocolate and then had some pork and potatoes with butter. I went to bed not long after this meal and slept OK. When I awoke however, I could still feel the food sitting in my stomach. A bit of movement helped it along; I'm burping and whatnot, and I can feel my stomach slowly working through it all.

Got to work and had a slice of meat pizza. I don't know why. I hadn't had pizza in months before this and it really hadn't sounded good, but for whatever reason, I went for it. It upset my stomach a little, but all seems to be well now. That'll be the last I have of pizza for a long time, but the taste was more intense than I remember. Although unhealthy, it wasn't particularly unsatisfying.

Overall, my portions have been lesser today, as I've been trying to get used to food again. Tomorrow I'll try eating normal amounts, and the day after that, I'll start my bloodletting sessions at the gym! I'm so pumped! Working out at higher intensity has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, and I think I may be light enough and disciplined enough now to do it. Going to be lifting and doing some high-octane cardio. I know it's silly, but I feel unstoppable! Just have to make sure I don't overdo it, haha.

Oh-- not sure if this is worth a mention, but about two hours after first breaking my fast, I had a solid, normal-ish bowel movement. I was really surprised, lol.

I'm happy to hear that so many of you are considering longer fasts and look forward to hearing about your progress! I'm not done with fasting, and will probably settle back into my usual IF (one large meal every one to two days) in a day or two. I don't think there will be any problem with this, health-wise. I'll keep on updating! Keep me posted if any of you should decide to fast!

Haha, no worries, jadedgamerx. Admittedly, I made a few poor food choices today and the applesauce was indeed kind of sugary. My body seems to have handled it OK, and I'll be moving towards only healthy, whole foods from here on out. Also, BBQ chicken sounds heavenly at the moment, haha.

Best of luck with your fast! Fasting without having someone cooking around you will certainly make it easier. Let us know how it goes if you decide to go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Of course you might want to "work up to" it with smaller portions to let your shrunken stomach adjust.

Char, you are an inspiration. Seriously, major kudos to you.

I will be doing a 7-10 day fast sometime soon.
    Thank you! I hope to hear about your progress! And I agree: my stomach didn't seem to have much trouble with meat. Smaller portions at first are key, but I don't think abstaining from protein is necessary.

jadedgamerx is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Haha, no worries, jadedgamerx. Admittedly, I made a few poor food choices today and the applesauce was indeed kind of sugary. My body seems to have handled it OK, and I'll be moving towards only healthy, whole foods from here on out. Also, BBQ chicken sounds heavenly at the moment, haha.

Best of luck with your fast! Fasting without having someone cooking around you will certainly make it easier. Let us know how it goes if you decide to go for it!
    I most definitely will - if everything goes according to plan it could help me jump start a "no booze until new years" plan as well I would love to post some pictures up of progress but I can't find anything of me at my pre-primal weight other than some "party pictures" or what not. I guess those would be ok if I can't find anything else. I would offer that anyone who is taking primal seriously take progress pictures every couple weeks or so, it's really nice to have them to look back and compare. Try and wear the same clothing when you take the pictures in the same place. I'm going to snap some new ones tonight and start recreating it every few weeks for myself as well.
    Quite literally, the wittiest signature line you can think of.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Oh-- not sure if this is worth a mention, but about two hours after first breaking my fast, I had a solid, normal-ish bowel movement. I was really surprised, lol.
    Must have been incubating for a while I actually had the same experience a few hours after breaking my 4 day fast. Congrats on making it to a week! 20lbs of weight loss is quite impressive.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast