Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project

Shop Now
    This thread made me curious so I am going to try it for five days and see how it goes. I am very skeptical it would work for me... But it would really be amazing if I could save money on food AND lose fat.

Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Cool! Keep us updated for sure! EVERY.NUANCE.OR.ELSE.

Scared?

Good! Eat potatoes! RARR!

Julia

I'm very curious as well. For me, potatoes are simply a vehicle for butter and/or roast fat which I think you don't do on the potato hack, correct? I don't think I would want to eat a potato only moistened with stock and a tsp of butter. I'd love to know how you prepare them and if you like them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

You should really get inspiration at freetheanimal.com where the potato hackers have been creative!!

Here is my way for French fries:

You can make excellent oven-baked French fries (thus my alias name) by coating potato wedges with a thin layer of say slightly melted duck fat mixed with paprika powder, or garlic powder (whatever you like) and bake them at 200 C for ~ 30mn (at 15mn, toss them around). The result is really tasty. The guy at freetheanimal.com is doing something similar (with coconut oil in a wok for the thin fat coating of the wedges).

Potatoes are a whole meal on their own

French fry, the potato "diet" site I saw was EXTREMELY low fat. I am talking one tsp per whole baked Idaho. I can see where high carb and low fat makes sense, but it sounds unpallatable to me. Chicken stock just sounds wet.

However, I am totally going to make your fries since I happen to have some lovely duck fat in my fridge.

I eat potatoes plain or just with some salt and red pepper flakes all the time. Delicious! Add some broth and mash 'em. Yum! Or, my favorite is to grate a baked potato and spread the grated potato out in a sort of thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake until nicely browned and crispy. Eat with hot sauce. Double yum! Fat is not necessary at all.

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    However, I am totally going to make your fries since I happen to have some lovely duck fat in my fridge.
    Go for it!!!
    I use about 2 to 3 Tbsp of duck fat for a big batch of french fries (2 grown-ups and 2 kids, sometimes we don't finish them). I slowly melt it just enough so it is liquid but not cooked, mix some paprika and garlic powder, poor the melted fat on the wedges in a big bowl, cover it andshake the whole thing until it is spread evenly. Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg C (don't know in F), lay the wedges on a baking sheet (don't stack them all if you have too many, use 2 baking sheets instead). 30mn is about right. I have a convection oven by the way.

It's going to be dinner tonight and I have no intention of sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    It's going to be dinner tonight and I have no intention of sharing.
    hehe, I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy
    For best results, see slightly more advanced process: For the Love of Cooking Oven Baked French Fries
    The recipe calls for crapola oil ... duck fat is infinitely better!!

Shop Now
    Fries for dinner tonight!!
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel