Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 48

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
    Healthy11 - Richard Nikoley added 1 tsp butter to potatoes and did great.

My daughter is only half-doing the hack because she is in college living in a dorm and she says lunch is impractical. I told her about the rice as being a distant secondary option (per Ray Cronise), so she is having mostly indian food rice curries for lunch from an indian food stand on campus, then mashed potatoes I made for her (fat free, milk free, with chicken broth) for dinner. She is down 12 pounds now after only half-doing this for a few weeks, and lost 5 pounds in the past week with the mashed (she ate the potatoes every night in this past week, where as in previous weeks she sometimes skipped microwave, baked, or crock pot potatoes). The mashed is working really well for her because she wants to eat them. She was doing low carb with no luck (it worked in the past as effortless weight loss, but no more).

She went from 242 to 230 so far (5' 10" and extra large boned and very muscular/athletic like her father). She is 18.

I have taken 9 days off the hack (weekends) plus maybe a half dozen off meals on the on days and am now down to 198 from 213 since January 18 (I'm also 5'10" but med framed and a very poor physical specimen, just turned 48, so I am extremely pleased). Low carb no longer works for me (although I lost @100 pounds on low carb) so I am really happy to have found this.
    This is all fantastic!!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Key Tones is offline Member
    Thank you!

I just read a facebook post from Ray Cronise. I believe he has clients? He posted one that has dropped 38 pounds in 38 days. I believe he is applying cold therapy to a fat-free potato hack, but I am not certain as Ray is a bit vague. Ray notes that the body trying to keep warm under applied cold conditions burns many, many more calories than exercise possibly could. I am curious but a bit reluctant.

Here is the post:

Daniel is down 38 lbs in 38 days. No exercise. No shakes. No supplements. Oh, and what's all this talk about crashing metabolism? His RMR is 3100 kcal/day as measured on a Quark CPET from Cosmed HQ. Your metabolism isn't the problem either. Great job Daniel!!! with Daniel Harrington.

Quote Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
    the body trying to keep warm under applied cold conditions burns many, many more calories than exercise possibly could. I am curious but a bit reluctant.
    There are couple threads around here somewhere on some of that, some N=1's.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I did cold, boiled potatoes with just salt and vinegar for 3 days as a 'carb reset'--and I gained 7 lbs.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm extremely carb sensitive and need to stay at no more than 25g carbs daily. I thrive on this WOE, but I've read that it's best to have a 'carb day' every few months, and I've done that for the past few years--usually just for a single day.

However, Mark mentions that carbing up, it's best to go low fat, and since I avoid grains and sugar, I thought that a 'potato hack' might work well. I've read that it won't result in weight loss for people with a metabolic dysfunction like mine but that as a 'reset' it's ideal. But I was hoping that it wouldn't result in a gain.

I felt fine, but I had more appetite than usual and was probably eating too much in terms of calories (I love potatoes and haven't eaten them in years). The gain may simply be the glycogen+water from the carbs (at least that's what I'm hoping).

I probably should have limited this to one day, but I was curious to see whether it worked better as a 'reset' if I did 3 days.

I'm back to low carbing, and I hope this worked so that I can lose the bloat quickly.

I think that it's important for others like me who are extremely sensitive to carbs to know what they may experience.

Key Tones is offline Member
    Emmie,

You would have to eat about 245 extra potatoes to gain 7 pounds of fat, so it can't be fat. I don't know why you bloated up; sorry to hear about the issue.

My weight goes all over the place for the first few days. It is day 4 or 5 where it gets interesting.

It has lowered my fasting blood glucose to the 80s. I have never seen a fasting blood glucose below 100 in my life, even when I was in my 20s my fasting glucose was too high. Seriously, I don't understand it but it has helped me. I have McDougall's Starch Solution book to see if he explains this.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I would try this if I got stuck. Or maybe when I reach my ideal weight, just to see what happens. Before I started I think I would want to have a glucose meter on hand, I think.

otzi Guest
    Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii! Despite eating whatever I wanted, even had a few umbrella drinks at the pool, lots of chocolate covered coffee beans and a couple shave-ices, I actually lost 3 pounds. Maybe it was the taro? Maybe it was the daily buffet breakfast (I normally IF til noon).

Anyway, nice to see this thread still attracting people. Ray Cronise has some new stuff on his site at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn | but he really does seem to be headed into the CICO realm. It looks like his site may soon change to a pay-for-service kind of deal, but he definitely knows a lot about metabolism, cold, and eating.

I have watched and participated in probably hundreds of people doing some version of the 'potato hack'. Most lose weight, but some gain. The gainers, I'm sure are from water weight, mostly when coming from years of low carb, glycogen depleted dieting. I'm thinking some may also be gaining from the extra salt? But who knows. Bottom line, it really works, is safe, and is totally voluntary. If you don't like it after a day or two--quit. No harm, no foul.

The best successes I have seen are guys (men) who eat noting but potatoes (with only salt/pepper/vinegar), for 1-2 weeks. It's like an automatic 1/2 - 1 pound a day loss the whole time, and most women do good, too.

Since I have lost my fear of carbs in the past 6 months or so, I have been eating a couple potatoes every day and my weight initially increased about 3 pounds and then has leveled off and is rock-steady pretty much no matter how much I eat, although I generally eat only Primal Blueprint style.

Good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii!
    Niiiice! And you were bikini ready (to observe anyways haha)

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Niiiice! And you were bikini ready (to observe anyways haha)
    It was really eye-opening looking at the people on the beach and at the pool. I would say that 90% of all men over 30 have the classical visceral fat, protruding belly, even with a lack of fat on the rest of the body. Almost everybody has that big gut that signals 'metabolic syndrome'. I think that eliminating visceral fat needs to be the goal of everyone. The fat under the skin does no harm, but the fat around organs is what causes the start of the downward spiral that ends in fatty liver, diabetes, heart problems, etc...

Of course, watching these same people at the breakfast buffet and poolside bar left no doubt as to the cause of their condition.

Anyone over the age of 40 who is in good shape clearly works for it. If you see an older guy with no gut, chances are he also has good biceps and strong legs, even if he is not ripped with a 6 pack. It's also very telling to watch people eat--the healthiest bunch doesn't pig out and eat lots of fruit, even though they still may be eating pancakes and bagels. The unhealthy looking people are getting thirds on the pancakes and completely skipping the fresh cut fruit.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and it felt good to be one of the 'in-shape' people rather than fat and miserable like I used to be.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Bravo on finding what works so well for you Otzi. You must have felt great on your vacation as well as being Od of the fittest guys around.

Being older and looking good does take a lot of work! I want to try the Potato Hack again at some point to see if I can tolerate the nightshade better this time. I tried in January coming off a bad December of flour and sugar. maybe now that I've been eating Primal since 1/1 I have less inflammation and five less pounds and might do better. Last time I didn't get that Full response to the taters and ate 1200-1300 calories worth a day. I gained doing it for three days, had swollen fingers and quit.

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast