Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 45

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to add, I don't put any water in my slow cooker - I just stuff it full -o- potatoes
    and turn it on high.

Never had a scorched one yet and they all came out perfect from bottom to top!

Julie

maladee is offline Member
    slow cooker sounds good.
    BTW I have lost some of the weight I put on after going off track, my will power is not that good, I love the taters with a small amount of vinegar and salt. They are soo good

Auroralaura is offline Junior Member
    Hello! I have been reading all of these potato posts like crazy! I have hit a stall and was wondering what to do when I heard from another website about the Potato hack! I'm in, for sure. Today I started (tried to start on Saturday but complications arose) and have just finished my second cold potato and sea salt and vinegar. Delish! I have 2 questions: Is is possible to have baked sea salt potato chips (Kettle makes a simple one, only a few ingredients) ? What do you think of a few nips of Potato Vodka? I'm normally a wino, but obviously that is OUT!
    Great Thread, by the way... I usually eat on the low carb end of Primal, so this a a bit different, but tasty!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Auroralaura View Post
    Hello! I have been reading all of these potato posts like crazy! I have hit a stall and was wondering what to do when I heard from another website about the Potato hack! I'm in, for sure. Today I started (tried to start on Saturday but complications arose) and have just finished my second cold potato and sea salt and vinegar. Delish! I have 2 questions: Is is possible to have baked sea salt potato chips (Kettle makes a simple one, only a few ingredients) ? What do you think of a few nips of Potato Vodka? I'm normally a wino, but obviously that is OUT!
    Great Thread, by the way... I usually eat on the low carb end of Primal, so this a a bit different, but tasty!
    I wouldn't eat any store-bought potato chips, baked or otherwise, unless the only ingredients was potatoes and salt--then should be OK. You can make your own with one of these: Amazon.com: Mastrad A64601 Top Chips Maker and Slicer Set: Kitchen & Dining

I have one, it's pretty cool.

A few nips of vodka would be OK, but not like 2 shots every day! Maybe a half a shot every other night. I personally pass on everything with calories while doing a potato diet..makes it much easier and you can't wonder afterwards if you should have done something differently.

If it works out for you, do it again a couple weeks or months later, but add some twists of your own.

Auroralaura is offline Junior Member
    Well, the chips were potatoes, sea salt vinegar and safflower oil... 3 grams of fat. I pretty much figured they might be out. I just baked up some incredibly ugly chips.... Sliced potatoes on the mandolin and tossed with vinegar and salt.... They actually got crispy! Only a slight spray of coconut oil spray on the foil.

I am disappointed about the potato vodka, but also not surprised. I guess there is no way in any form of eating habits to endulge in very much alcohol. Just one of my demons......

You guys are easier to talk to than a doctor, ya know?! They all say "eat less fat, more whole grains". Blah blah. I know that I can ask any question and get honest answers!

Laura

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Auroralaura View Post
    Well, the chips were potatoes, sea salt vinegar and safflower oil... 3 grams of fat. I pretty much figured they might be out. I just baked up some incredibly ugly chips.... Sliced potatoes on the mandolin and tossed with vinegar and salt.... They actually got crispy! Only a slight spray of coconut oil spray on the foil.

I am disappointed about the potato vodka, but also not surprised. I guess there is no way in any form of eating habits to endulge in very much alcohol. Just one of my demons......

You guys are easier to talk to than a doctor, ya know?! They all say "eat less fat, more whole grains". Blah blah. I know that I can ask any question and get honest answers!

Laura
    The people on this forum are great. I get a bit of grief for including starch in my diet, but lots of people are starting to realize starch isn't the enemy. Ask away if you have questions!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tiuhjnvds View Post
    I have no problem with folks eating a calorie reduced diet and losing weight. In fact, that is the only way to lose weight, deniers of fundamental thermodynamics notwithstanding. I would and do have a problem with folks eating a diet that is deficient nutritionally. I also have a really big problem with uncritical ritualistic acceptance of anything, whether related to diet or otherwise.
    Do you not see the beauty of the Potato Diet? These people trying it have not eaten one of the most nutritious foods (potatoes) in years thanks to low carb dogma. Once one realizes that starch is not the enemy it opens the world of eating healthy to you!

The Potato Diet is a very short term weightloss tool. Never meant to be long term, 1-2 weeks max. People FAST for that long regularly around here!

spacegirl is offline Junior Member
    Day 1 - 178.3
    Day 2 - 182.0
    Day 3 - 181.5
    Day 4 - 180.0

I found yesterday quite hard. In the early afternoon, sitting in front of someone eating a big steak, I first thought 'I can't do this'. I may be making it hard for myself by a) trying not to eat too many calories (trying to limit myself to 2lbs of potato per day) and b) trying to have just breakfast, lunch and dinner without snacking in between. Last night it got too late to cook without disturbing everyone in the house and I was sooo hungry - I did eat some macadamia nuts.

I don't feel great on this diet, but then I didn't expect to. My sinuses, glands, brain and fingertips feels as though they are stuffed with potato! I feel tired in the afternoons. Anyway, only 4 more days (including today) until the experiment ends.

spacegirl is offline Junior Member
    Day 1 - 178.3
    Day 2 - 182.0
    Day 3 - 181.5
    Day 4 - 180.0
    Day 5 - 180.6 (+0.6 from yesterday, +2.3 over all)

utfsdh - I think you're probably right. I don't feel weird and 'stuffed up' anymore, although still sleepy and headachy. I expected water weight to come back when I started the potatoes, although I'm disappointed that my weight has gone up today. Still, it's useful to know how much water weight I do carry (about 3.7 lbs), and the experiment has been valuable for confirming that I do feel better over-all with low carb (although comparing 'low carb' to 'all-carb' probably isn't very fair). I am finding this quite hard to stick to now, feeling undernourished and craving other foods. I need to plan better so that I don't end up hungry late at night, tempted by nearby nuts.

I'd use this diet again as a way to get the benefits of a carb-up without unwanted weight gain. I have two recipes:

1. Potatoes cut into wedges/chips, sprayed with olive oil (I know - I'd never normally use this cack, but its a way to make chips with minimum oil) and baked. Served with lots of apple cider or malt vinegar.

2. Mashed potatoes - boiled potatoes, mashed with some added cold water, served with a gravy made from stock (mixture of my own bone broth, which tastes of NOTHING, and Bovril) thickened with potato flour.

azger is offline Junior Member
    Just an Update from me. I did 5 days of just potatos and lost 7 pounds, its been two weeks and have added in 1 pound of potatos a day into my normal eating, 1/2 pound at breakfast and 1/2 pound at dinner and eating paleo and have continued to lose in those two weeks 6 more pounds, I'm perfectly happy with that amount of weight loss.

For me eating nothing but potatos was a great reset after the holidays, when I go off the diet I usually go down hard and it's very hard to start back up with this I lose wight and get back on track quickly.
    Last edited by azger; 01-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast