Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 43

maladee is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Otzi,

Well I am back ,I feel of the wagon and gained some weight back ,I got sick and things kinda snowballed out of control.

I restarted PHD ,I am starting with just plain taters some salt that is pretty much it.

Gopintos good job wow just the mention of tater diet causes weight loss wow.
    I hope Ray does not get mad at me, when is his web site to be up any idea Otzi?

BTW GO NINERS!!!!!!

spacegirl is offline Junior Member
    Long time lurker here -

Been very low carb primal for a while now and really disappointed with the results. Been eating 1000-1500 calories per day, around 20g carbs (meat, vegetables, eggs - all home-cooked, etc etc). It seemed the only days I lost weight were when I ate <800 calories a day and was hungry. I even went on a 'fat fast' (1000 calories, 90% from fat) which included lots of slow movement and lost nothing. I haven't been able to lift weights lately because my muscles are so weak, and I feel dizzy when I stand up even though I supplement my electrolytes. (Meanwhile, of course, a male friend with a much lower BMI has lost 12lbs in 4 days, not even following the rules properly!). So, I'm going to try the potato diet and see if it helps.

My Stats: 24/F/5' 4"/178.3lbs

Day 1: In the morning I ate about 1lb of baked potato wedges/chips ('fries' seems inappropriate as they were so thick - they were chipped potatoes, so I'm calling them chips) with malt vinegar. I also took 1000mg ALA and drank hot water with lemon juice in, in an attempt to reduce the glycemic/fat-storing impact of the carbs.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    There is a good thread that is tater - related :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76153.html

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacegirl View Post
    Been very low carb primal for a while now and really disappointed with the results. Been eating 1000-1500 calories per day, around 20g carbs (meat, vegetables, eggs - all home-cooked, etc etc). It seemed the only days I lost weight were when I ate <800 calories a day and was hungry. I even went on a 'fat fast' (1000 calories, 90% from fat) which included lots of slow movement and lost nothing. I haven't been able to lift weights lately because my muscles are so weak, and I feel dizzy when I stand up even though I supplement my electrolytes. (Meanwhile, of course, a male friend with a much lower BMI has lost 12lbs in 4 days, not even following the rules properly!). So, I'm going to try the potato diet and see if it helps.
    How about just adding a few potatoes to your meat and veggies? Why go from one extreme to the other? I hate the word "balanced diet" in a CW context, but surely it applies here? I was too low carb for a while myself and suffered from the dizziness as well. Adding potatoes has really helped me and I feel great, but that doesn't mean I will do this potato only diet. It may well help you but all I'm saying is consider just adding them to your normal primal diet and I guess you'll be just fine.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    So last week M-F, I had sweet potato for breakfast and white potato for lunch followed by primal dinner and lost 3 lb. The rumbling in my intestines was really starting to get on my nerves. No potato over the weekend and then this week M-Th, I had berries and yogurt for breakfast and white potato plus 4 oz meat for lunch followed by primal dinner and lost 2 more lb. Calories were about the same both weeks.

Next week I'm going to try sweet potato for a late breakfast and see if I can push my lunch off until dinner time. I've decided yogurt and berries for breakfast is not helping me in my goal of merging breakfast and lunch into one meal. Something about potatoes, though, seems to make going without eating for longer stretches much easier.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spacegirl View Post
    Long time lurker here -

My Stats: 24/F/5' 4"/178.3lbs

Day 1: In the morning I ate about 1lb of baked potato wedges/chips ('fries' seems inappropriate as they were so thick - they were chipped potatoes, so I'm calling them chips) with malt vinegar. I also took 1000mg ALA and drank hot water with lemon juice in, in an attempt to reduce the glycemic/fat-storing impact of the carbs.
    Try it for a couple days at least. When you see your weight stable or dropping, you will realize that it wasn't 'carbs' keeping you from your goals. Once you lose your fear of carbs, you can truly prosper with Primal.

When you go back to your normal diet, eat potatoes or a starch source like rice or sweet potatoes every day. Try to eat at least 300-500 calories a day from potato, rice, or sweet potato. Try eating them very plainly, but with a normal meal.

If you are worried about making room for them in your calorie range, remove some fat. If you count macros, shoot for 50-30-20 (F-P-C). If you want to lose weight quicker, try 40-30-30 or stick with 50-30-20, but cut overall calories.

These ratios don't have to be perfect, but some like targets...that's an easy one.

Low carb helps a lot of people break their sugar addiction and get started eating healthy, but don't lump sweet fruit, candy, and potatoes/rice all together. If you are not thriving on low carb, raise the carbs with a good starch product.

I'm a big ol' guy, so I'm different than you, but normally my day goes like this:

First food at 11am, big baked potato w/salt and bit of ketchup, tin of sardines, or small portion of lean meat, raw veggies like green pepper, tomato, mushrooms.

no snacks

Second meal at 6, another potato cooked various ways, large serving of meat, more veggies, butter used in cooking.

Dessert - One or more of: dark chocolate, banana, blueberries, cheese, almonds

Eating like this keeps me ridiculously full and perfectly weight stable.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    So last week M-F, I had sweet potato for breakfast and white potato for lunch followed by primal dinner and lost 3 lb. The rumbling in my intestines was really starting to get on my nerves. No potato over the weekend and then this week M-Th, I had berries and yogurt for breakfast and white potato plus 4 oz meat for lunch followed by primal dinner and lost 2 more lb. Calories were about the same both weeks.

Next week I'm going to try sweet potato for a late breakfast and see if I can push my lunch off until dinner time. I've decided yogurt and berries for breakfast is not helping me in my goal of merging breakfast and lunch into one meal. Something about potatoes, though, seems to make going without eating for longer stretches much easier.
    Wow! So close to goal and experimenting with carbs! I know when I was losing weight, I was deathly afraid of them, and if I felt I wasn't losing fast enough, they were the first to go. Now I realize that was actually hurting me. I should have kept sensible levels of starch all along and cut a pit on fat or protein at meals.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    How about just adding a few potatoes to your meat and veggies? Why go from one extreme to the other? I hate the word "balanced diet" in a CW context, but surely it applies here? I was too low carb for a while myself and suffered from the dizziness as well. Adding potatoes has really helped me and I feel great, but that doesn't mean I will do this potato only diet. It may well help you but all I'm saying is consider just adding them to your normal primal diet and I guess you'll be just fine.
    Very, very good advice. The only thing I really like about the "Potato Diet" is that it gets people to realize it's not the starchy carbs that are causing weight gain/water retention. I find my weight much more stable with a steady intake of potatoes or rice at meals. When on a strict 'LC' or 'VLC' diet, any screw ups can lead to quick bloating and weight gain. On a moderate intake of carbs, I seem to be more stable.

BTW, eating 1-2 potatoes or rice a day is only 50-100g of carbs, still LC by many standards.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    This is pretty much what I do now, PHD style, but it is also nice once in while to do a day or two of tators. But I also might do a day or two of all steak & eggs, or I'll I do a day or two of HF/LC, so it is just one more useful tool.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Wow! So close to goal and experimenting with carbs! I know when I was losing weight, I was deathly afraid of them, and if I felt I wasn't losing fast enough, they were the first to go. Now I realize that was actually hurting me. I should have kept sensible levels of starch all along and cut a pit on fat or protein at meals.
    Fortunately for me I was well into my weight loss before I found MDA. I had already decided on my own that grains were a bad investment when I only had so many calories to spend, so my carbs were rarely over 200g/day anyway. I did try HFLC around 150 lbs and 1400 cal/day because I was starting to feel crazy hungry all the time, but it didn't seem to make things any easier or help weight come off faster so I gave it up as too much trouble. I have naturally settled into about 100g carbs/day which gives me plenty of room to play around with any food I like.

My goal is just a number that seemed like a respectable middle-aged weight when I started, lol. I can see now that I can do better, which is actually very freeing when it comes to playing around with eating strategies.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast