Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 42

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I want to try an all meat diet someday. With ample calories. See what happens.
    That's how I lost a lot of weight when I got into primal. Plus eggs, butter and cream. So this whole eating potatoes only thing seems a little backwards to me, but I'm thinking of doing it for a week for the hell of it anyway, partially to cleanse the junk food and alcohol out of my system after a very slothy and gluttony holiday season.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Some are doing it now, in the 7 days of spuds or something. It is a cold tator experiment. The resistant starch thing. You can find it just a few doors down.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    We've looked at that extensively in other threads. One user, J3NN, has a blog where she is doing that same diet with great success, I'll look for a link. Mary was on to something, too bad it got lost in vegan-ville.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lariaz View Post
    Ah, gopintos, I actually meant n=1 specifically regarding the effects of the potato diet on weight loss beyond what would normally be achieved via caloric restriction. Sorry, I should have been more specific!
    I'm on day two of round two of the potato hack. Based on my round one experience, I believe that it is more than caloric restriction because I don't experience the appetite suppression effect to the same extent as others on this forum. I was eating between 1200 and 1550 calories per day, I'd say average around 1300-1350. That is approximately how much I normally eat on weekdays, but I definitely lost more on the potato than I do normally. (I'm always trying to lose weight so the 1350/day is not eating to satiety for me--it's definitely caloric restriction. However, I didn't try to restrict the amount of potatoes I ate while on the hack so it did have an appetite suppressing effect.) Anyway, I lost more on the hack than I do on the normal 1350-1400 low-carb primal diet that I default to on weekdays. The only thing that causes me to lose faster is the Kekwick fat fast, which I've started doing on Mondays and Tuesdays some weeks. The problem with the fat fast is that, since it's super low carb (close to zero carbs, actually), most of what you lose is water weight. And I'm always starving on it. Ketosis doesn't have the same kind of appetite suppressing effect on me as it does on others. *Sigh*

Babble Alert:

I am thinking of going tators for a few days. My weight has been climbing, and I am eating right. And I am exercising. So maybe I am not eating enough, I don't know. But I do seem to climb during the middle of the month... so I guess it is that time of the month again.

I was reading the SLD thread, and that part in the PHD book, so I did have CO the morning before last, and ended up with 1600 calories for that day, which is 300 - 400 higher than normal, and gained the next day 1.1lb. So then yesterday I didnt have it, and was at 1200 calories and this morning I still had a gain of 1.5lb

Just shoot me now.

So I dont know. I have been more active. I know PHD says increase 500 calories for every hour of activity. But when I do tabata, I don't know how to count that so usually I don't increase any calories. And my ST isnt anything to write home about.

So I don't know. Today, I did some CO first thing at about 3am. I broke fast at 9, cuz I had dinner at 5 last night. I have tracked my PHD foods for the day already. And I have been hungrier today for some reason but if I stay on track, I'll have 1587 calories - not including veggie calories, and this morning was a workout day so maybe that is why I am hungrier. Going to retake my measurements in the morning. I havent done that for awhile.

So I don't know... I am just babbling now. The gains just get so frustrating when you think you are doing everything right. I just can't get over this hump. I got over it, barely, but now I am back the other direction. So that is why the set point on the SLD stuff had me thinking because I just can't get over it and stay over it.

Now I am just wondering if my calories are just too low. The 1600 was a rare one. And today almost 1600 is rare. I normally come in 1200 - 1300ish. ugghh

I put in my tracker everything PHD says I should have each day as a base, and I think it was saying almost 1400 and that was with 2TBL of CO. So that is what I am trying to do today. So I just don't know if I should keep on that, or do a few days of tators............. I know. Shut up already. It helps me sometimes (but not this time cuz I am clueless) to type it out.

Oh, just one more thing. I was losing weight at a good clip until I went VLC. I can see from my graph that everything just went to hell after that. And really, I am not that much farther along than I was then. I have pretty much been flat lined since middle of August. It has gone up, down, up, down but if you draw a line, I am about the same weight. Makes me want to cry to even think about that. That is 5 months. % months??!! Now I think I will cry. And the few months prior to that, wasnt that much progress either.

Ok, I forgot where I was going with that. I was going to say, I went to the DR about that time, I can't remember for sure, and thyroid was okay. Not pre-menie. But maybe I have messed something up since then? I came off the HF first part of October.

I dont do soda, I dont do fast food, I dont eat donuts and cakes and crap. I dont do wheat. I dont do much dairy except a serving of homemade yogurt but I havent had that for quite some time. I dont do much extra fats now. I am in the 42-72gram range with my fat.

Just so frustrating.

I do feel better. I think I am getting all the nutrition I need. I sleep fine, for the most part. I havent gotten sick like everybody else. And I always feel like I am making progress. That is why I dont notice this schit until months have passed and I start looking at my charts. I can see muscles in my legs. My tummy is flatter. I really do feel better. But I am wearing the same britches. So I guess I will see what the tape measure says in the morning.

UGGGHH and ARRGGHHH
    Just so frustrating. Did I say that already?
    Last edited by gopintos; 01-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.

otzi Guest
    Hey, I feel your pain! Try this: Eat 2 pounds of potatoes a day for 3 or 4 days. Be strict about it. That will be about 1000 calories a day.

Then, start the weightloss version of PHD, keeping to 1300 calories by eating 1/2 pound of potato, 2 medium sized, very green bananas, and 1/2 pound of meat of your choice. That will be about 1000 calories, you can pick about 250-300 more calories from whatever you want...eggs, cheese, nuts...don't eat any other fruit or leafy stuff.

Do this version of PHD for 2 weeks, and I guarantee you will be to a new low. You should do just fine on 1300 calories. Keep all the leafy and green veggies and sweet fruit out of the picture for a while, they may be bloating you.

One thing to keep in mind about your current situation, if you are maintaining, you have to change something. If you are gaining without eating a lot more, it is just likely to be water weight/bloat from something you are eating. Pears do it to me, but it's not that you are getting fat again, even though it feels like it.

Good luck!

Well, I have been having more Brussels sprouts lately, almost daily for the last week or two maybe even, now that I think about it. In fact, eating the last few now. So then those will be out of the house.

Okay, Dr. Otzi. Send me a bill for services rendered. I will be back for my check up

Seriously, thank you. Common sense should tell me that. And probably what I would have told someone else, but when it is your own self, I lose common sense I guess.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Well, I have been having more Brussels sprouts lately, almost daily for the last week or two maybe even, now that I think about it. In fact, eating the last few now. So then those will be out of the house.

Okay, Dr. Otzi. Send me a bill for services rendered. I will be back for my check up

Seriously, thank you. Common sense should tell me that. And probably what I would have told someone else, but when it is your own self, I lose common sense I guess.
    As I may have told you before, I have become a lot braver trying things that may add weight since I know how to lose it quickly. The potato diet is almost like a reset button for me. I have found that about all of what I used to freak out over was just water weight. It is really physically impossible to gain a pound of fat in less than a week or two without drastically altering your food intake. You may gain an ounce or two in a few days, but not several pounds.

I find if I start putting on weight, it's usually something I am eating new. For instance, our local store had a huge display of pears, we bought several different kinds and I ate 2-3 a day for a couple days and put on almost 5 pounds and was really gassy. Cut them out and back to normal in 2 days without any changes. Same if I eat crap sweet stuff like milk chocolate and fudge.

Later

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It is really physically impossible to gain a pound of fat in less than a week or two without drastically altering your food intake. You may gain an ounce or two in a few days, but not several pounds.
    This is how effective the super secret potato project is:

I have only stated I was going to be on it today, and I already lost 1.8lbs! haha

I guess it was the Brussels sprouts. Never made the connection before. We have had them most daily for quite a few number of days, which I had been gaining for the last 4 days or so..... So that's a shame. They are so tasty and easy to fix, and reasonably priced per pound.

I guess I need to remember this before any swimsuit competition.

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast