Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 40

WJS
    WJS is offline Junior Member
    I have been lurking here with interest for a little while but unfortunately not been able to commit to a consecutive hack until after the holidays. However, this may show my ignorance but Pklopp are you recommending not to do the potato hack?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS View Post
    I have been lurking here with interest for a little while but unfortunately not been able to commit to a consecutive hack until after the holidays. However, this may show my ignorance but Pklopp are you recommending not to do the potato hack?
    In case he doesn't answer right away, I'll tell you this...

pklopp tried a version of the potato diet and wrote about it here: All Potato Diet | Just another pklopp site

His version didn't work well for him, but many criticized his attempt because it also included large amounts of eggs and tuna, I believe. pklopp is a monster in the health world, very knowledgeable in all things diet related. I think I have heard him say he thinks the potato diet is good for rapid weightloss, but thinks it also results in muscle loss for the weightlifting types.

Maybe he'll pop back in and tell us, hope I didn't put wrong words in his mouth.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Whew. For a moment I thought I made a wrong turn and ended up in the Science room. I was looking for the silly super secret spud room.

Well it served me well the last few days. I tend to gain during this time but it only went up slightly and I could get it back down. Usually we are talking several pounds, so I was glad to use this. We have company from now until Christmas though. But... BUT.... I fed them rice this morning Some with cinnamon and blueberries, some had butter, some had stevia, some had half & half. And actually, when they got here for lunch yesterday, I fixed tacos for them but I still had my broth, tator, kraut but then I did put a little of the ground beef in it also. Really, is there anything you can't do with a tator?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    When I was an evil child, I used to hammer them up my neighbor's tailpipe and then
    run in the house, run into the dining room to the window and wait for the fireworks.

That dude would start his car (OLD VW bus) and within seconds, potato was shooting
    out like a rocket.

GOOD TIMES!!!

~Anonymous

Now, sugar in the gas tank produces no fanfare, but if you're
    trying to steal my man in the 10th grade, it sure will keep you
    from driving anywhere, ever, again.

~AnonymousDeux

jbogg is offline Junior Member
    I am totally new to these forums and have joined just to participate in this conversation.

On Thursday I got a wisdom tooth out and was on a soft cold food diet only. It occurred to me in the evening it might be a good time to try this (that and Xmas coming up, and going on vacation in a week). For 2 days I have eaten between 1-2lbs of potatoes, but I have also had 2 bowls of vegetable soup each day. I was working both days and there was a nice soup available, I felt for the healing of my tooth it might be worth the extra nutrition. Anyway, each morning my weight has increased by about 1 lb. I also haven't had a good bowel movement since starting.

I'm eating way below my BMR. I suspect the extra is water weight for me, though I can't admit to fully understanding the science here. I plan to continue today with mainly potatoes, and then there will be 3 days right after xmas that I can commit to entirely potatoes (no social events and whatnot). Will update

I honestly thought this whole thing was just a hack for keeping calories really low while staying full, so I didn't think much of the extra soup since my total intake has stayed around ~1000 calories. We'll see though, if I stay around the same calories deficit with just potatoes later in the week and end up losing, would be proof enough for me that it's more than just that. I'm not sure why it would work less well with 200-300 calories of vegetables (starchy and nonstarchy), since it remains a high starch, low fat, low protein consumption. Any theories?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogg View Post
    On Thursday I got a wisdom tooth out and was on a soft cold food diet only...For 2 days I have eaten between 1-2lbs of potatoes, but I have also had 2 bowls of vegetable soup each day....each morning my weight has increased by about 1 lb. I also haven't had a good bowel movement since starting.

Any theories?
    It sounds like your body is a bit out-of-balance, probably from the trauma of the tooth removal. You may have some systemic inflammation as your body reacts to all it has been through. I think the soup is a great idea, as you need nourishment right now more than ever. Keep it up if you feel good, I think soon your body fluids will balance out and your bowels will once again be normal and you will see some weight movement.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    When I was an evil child,
    A nerdy guy asks his stud-muffin friend how he can get some 'lady action'. His buddy tells him to put a potato down his pants when he goes to the club and the women will be all over him.

Next day Mr. Studly asks the dweeb how it went, he says it didn't work at all, the women just laughed and pointed. Well, lets see what you did wrong, show me what you did. The nerd puts the potato down his pants and saunters around for him.

The Jock says, "You Idiot! You are supposed to put it down the FRONT of your pants!"

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Oh Otzi, you silly boy!

How have your Ketogenic Days been going? Good?

How long are you doing it for again?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Oh Otzi, you silly boy!

How have your Ketogenic Days been going? Good?

How long are you doing it for again?
    I made it almost 30 days at 20g or less carbs. I hated it. I have never experienced such muscle soreness after working out. I normally do tons of pushups, pullups, and squats every other day with weekends off. Keeping that schedule on keto was impossible. I normally do 5-10 sets of 20 pullups, last couple weeks I was lucky to do 1 set and then I was sore for 4-5 days afterwards. Same for squats and pushups. I added back carbs last week and am now back to old self. It was a fun experiment, but that's it. I didn't lose any weight, but that wasn't my goal.

Anyway, i'm on a Resistant Starch kick now! Eating 1-2 cold potatoes, cold rice, and ground flax seed. Trying to get 30-40g of RS a day. Talk about a difference in poop! On keto, it was hard to go and not very pleasant. On RS, it's 'on like Donkey Kong' to steal a phrase from you. I never had problems in this area, but wow what a difference. Poopin' like a Grok-star!

One area that RS has made a big difference I can see...I love sauerkraut, cabbage, and kimchi. Eating it gave me the world's stinkiest gas...I mean it chased the dog out of the room. Now I can eat all this stuff and not have any gas. As the good RS eating bacteria build up, it chases out the bad off-gassing bacteria.

Also, the satiety effect of this amount of RS seems to be just right. One small cold potato for breakfast and I am good to go for hours. Same as with supper, I cook a big batch of rice and keep it in the fridge, I eat a small bowl of cold rice with supper and it fills me right up. I'm not counting carbs, but I'd guess they are in the 100-150g range.

I may do a round of taters after New Year's, just because.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Talk about a difference in poop! On keto, it was hard to go and not very pleasant.
    Omg yes, I am loving this too. I am starting to eat potatoes more often because it came back out so pretty

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast