Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 38

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No! Are you removing the skins? Most of the people bothered with the nasty gas thing seem to be eating the tater skins.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    This time around almost all my potatoes have been previously cooked and cooled. Then reheated just before eating. I assume that doesn't impact the retrograded starch? That may be why reheated potatoes never have the same taste or texture as freshly cooked potatoes.
    I love this:

"A study by Higgins et al, published in October 2004 issue of Nutrition and Metabolism showed that replacing 5.4% of the carbohydrate content of a meal with resistant starch [cold potatoes] increased fat oxidation by 23% in a sample of 12 study subjects. This increase is apparantly sustained throughout the day, even if only meal contains RS [cold potatoes]and the increased fat oxidation is sustained if one keeps eating RS [cold potatoes] on a daily basis. It appears that the RS [cold potatoes]changes the order in which the body burns food. Usually carbohydrates are used first, but when RS [cold potatoes]is present, dietary fat is oxidised first into energy before it has a chance to be stored as body fat. This study suggests that including foods high in RS [cold potatoes] in your daily diet may help with weight management."

* I added the words [cold potatoes]

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    During my 10 days I ate a good percentage of my meals as either cold spuds or cold rice. I had good results with weight loss.

Maybe cold potatoe's with lashings of butter could be the answer. Might have to use thick sliced potatoe as sliced "bread".....
    Last edited by fat belly frog; 12-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I havent had any cramping. Gas, maybe a little but I had kraut sometimes also?

This week's tators, (russets) I boiled whole in their jackets. I was trying to go for the resistant starch thing. Thinking maybe I wouldn't lose as much in the water? Then I peeled before I ate them, but.... BUT... I warmed them up, so probably not the same effect.

marthat, I added a meat sauce for dinner also Just half a cup and then a 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese on top of.... My tator! It was almost like eating lasagna
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    marthat, I added a meat sauce for dinner also Just half a cup and then a 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese on top of.... My tator! It was almost like eating lasagna
    That sounds awesome! Should have thought of that! I was going for the no-spuds option with julienned zucchini "noodles". They were good. But weight is up half a lb this morning after a pretty well perfect day yesterday. No grains, no sugar, avoided the Christmas baking trap, low carb supper. So it was either the jarred "Vodka sauce" pasta sauce or the generous Parmesan cheese that caused the slight bloat. I did eat the second half of my breakfast baked potato cold yesterday afternoon. Go RS!!

So I'm uncertain whether I will stay with all potatoes today. I'm off work (influenza outbreak in today's nursing home - contractors can't go in), so have more eating options at home. But I also have an enormous amount of nice bone broth made on Tuesday that would mash nicely into potatoes. Think I just might...

Edit: Nope, bacon and eggs for B. :-)
    Last edited by marthat; 12-20-2012 at 06:42 AM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    No! Are you removing the skins? Most of the people bothered with the nasty gas thing seem to be eating the tater skins.
    Yes, I am! I am carefully removing any small growths in the eye areas as well, so there should theoretically be no issues?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Sakura - when I first started the potatoes on December 3rd or whenever it was, I had horrible bloating
    and cramps.

I knew it was just because my stomach wasn't used to a shit ton of potatoes and that it would probably subside.

It did, finally, but it took until about day three.

The feeling was annoying and I was quite nauseated as well, but I was in that mind frame that those feelings
    were a GOOD THING because at least I wasn't effing HUNGRY.

I was so tired of being starving all the time, so even all those deleterious effects didn't make me stop. I needed them.

Welp, the MIL is in town and last night was her first dinner night. We had pizza.

I had one HUGE 300g russet yesterday at 12pm (unpeeled, i don't peel anything) and cripes on
    a cracker, that sucker lasted me until EIGHT PEEE EMMMM!! Holy shitballs!

So then I had my two pieces of pizza and was done.

Potato diet pill during the day works like a charm!

Potato was 279 cals and pizza I'm putting at 250/300 a slice, so still
    under 1K cals for the day, even WITH the delicious greazy pizza.

But I'll be bloated for my weigh in from the wheat in the pizza crust of course.

I even made peanut butter cream cheese cookies for the kids yesterday (from scratch, I don't DO
    scratch, EVAR, so it was a treat for them and a maiden voyage for me!) and wasn't even
    tempted to eat ONE.

That is whack.

Ohhhh! Recipe for peanut butter cream cheese cookies please??? Pretty please with Stevia on top???

I'm holding off the Christmas baking until the last minute so I have less time to indulge. One batch of shortbreads with real butter - that's it. Anyone got a good primal shortbread recipe?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    these aren't primal by any means martha - still use flour, but here you go anyway

I also didn't want to have to dirty my measuring cups so I just weighed the cream
    cheese and peanut butter - i used 6oz of cream cheese and 6.5oz of peanut butter.

putting the mixing bowl in the freezer for an hour did WONDERS

after I rolled them into balls, then i rolled them in sugar, then i smashed them
    down with the bottom of a cup and THEN i make the silly little fork marks in them

Cheap Comfort: Peanut Butter Cream Cheese cookies

Thanks, Julie! These sound good. They might work with almond flour, don't you think? Still a whackload of sugar, but hey, it's Christmas, right??

Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast