Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 37

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You are a woman, correct? For some reason, the only group who reports not losing on the potato diet is women. I think you actually are losing fat, but maybe fluctuating up in water weight. Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month? I guess you will have to look at longer term trends to see if it is working for you as opposed to daily readings.

I'm a guy, so not really qualified in this area...
    Now see, I am one of the totally lucky, fortunate and blessed beings (that oozes sarcasm) that has the
    gift of bloating up anywhere from 3-5lbs of water during ovulation AND pre-ladytime.

Please, please, everyone, calm down. No, you can't be me. I know everyone wants to be, but I'm
    sorry, this area of water bloat is all mine. ALL MINE!

When I started the potato challenge a couple of weeks ago, I started on cycle day 18 - way far away from
    ovulation AND ladytime. It was perfect.

But then starting on day 24, watch out. Spongey was in da house.

Back up to 128lbs on cycle day 27. Seriously. And like I said, I DID fall into a mixing
    bowl of cookies, but not 17,500 CALORIES WORTH. Jesus wept!

So yeah, water fluctuations totally suck for us womenz.

Even today, cycle day 4, I'm down to 124lbs and still the water hangs on. It'll be Saturday
    before the bloat is gone, which will be cd7, which means in another 5 days or so, I get to
    bloat up all over again for another 4 days. God.

Those/these times are usually the time I get a BIG case of the fuckitols - (like sat/sun with
    the cookies), and reserve a big ol' table for Pity Party of One because "no matter what I do,
    I just can't lose weight".

Bullocks.

It's taken me 44 years to finally figure out that I have to RIDE OUT those damn bloat times
    and turn the other cheek whilst it's happening.

It's hard though. I feel nasty, jiggly, clothes are tight and it's very disconcerting....

But hey, for the other 17 days out of the month, it's great!

So, ladies, (even if you're not cycling anymore) take all of that into consideration and
    do NOT throw in the towel.

It just means that you're going to have to give something an actual GO for a couple months,
    not a couple weeks.

Dudes can do it, we can't.

Not saying eating only potatoes for a couple months, but eating real food and calorie restriction.

Okay, fine, yeah, so, my coffee kicked in and I DO have diarrhea of the mouth, SUE ME!

~Anonymous

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    omgawd you are friggen hilarious.

I forgot you fell into the cookie dough.

Oh I meant to tell you also, we do live in California, well southern California, well actually south of California, out in the country (California, Missouri)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

THAT IS NOT CALIFORNIA AT ALL!

YOU ARE ON RESTRICTION FOR LYING!

And, subsequently, you're only going to get a Costco-sized
    can of corned beef hash for xmas.

Sorry, you brought it on yourself.

Getting my hopes up like that, how DARE YOU.

Still,

~Anonymous

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    And, subsequently, you're only going to get a Costco-sized
    can of corned beef hash for xmas.
    At least it wasn't a lump of tator
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Disgusting corned beef hash in the can, that my mother
    used to eat RIGHT out of the can (can't get the image out
    of my head. My eyes, MY EYES!) is disgusting who knows what
    babyfood type meat WITH small cubes of potato.

Most disgusting thing I've ever seen and smells like the shittiest
    dog food you've ever smelled.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    I'm just frustrated because I've tried everything - IF, keto, counting calories - and can't seem to break my homeostasis.
    Look into the Shangri La diet, which isn't actually a diet at all, but a tool for changing homeostasis or set-point. The theories behind the method is on the website, but basically it boils down to taking a significant dose of calories (often taken as a flavourless oil), with no perceived flavour - hold your breath or use swimmers noseclips) within a window of time (an hour each side of the dose) that has no food flavours, no gum, toothpaste, foods, drinks other than water. It seems to trick the brain into perceiving scarcity and hence lowering the set-point to lower appetite as a survival mechanism. Anyways, it works for many who try it and it allowed by to move past a stubborn set-point that I couldn't get past for years before I tried this. It was almost effortless. It's a great combo with primal eating, and I'm sure that part of the "satiety" effect of the potatoes is a similar idea - bland or tasteless calories. Website is Seth Roberts and The Shangri-La Diet.

In other news, I've eaten only potatoes with bone broth all day. Then meatballs and tomato sauce on zucchini noodles for supper, with generous Parmesan cheese. Stuffed on a small quantity again.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    In other news, I've eaten only potatoes with bone broth all day. Then meatballs and tomato sauce on zucchini noodles for supper, with generous Parmesan cheese. Stuffed on a small quantity again.
    Hey, guys - i started a thread over in nutrition called Resistant Starch you might find interesting. Here's what I have found out today:

- The real magic of potatoes may be in it's resistant starch.
    - Scientists are racing to figure out a way to isolate the resistant starch in potatoes so they can make big $$ adding it to other foods.
    - The main benefits of the resistant starch is satiety (no duh), and blood sugar control.
    - To maximize the resistant starch, you need to cook and COOL the potatoes. This starts a process called retrogradation that turns regular starch into resistant starch. The retrograded starch is treated and digested as short-chain fatty acids (fat) in the large intestine--how bizarre is that?
    - Vinegar also aids in the conversion.

Next time I do the potato diet, I will include a larger portion of cooked and cooled potatoes for sure--this whole resistant starch thing kind of makes the whole potato diet a little more 'real'.

This time around almost all my potatoes have been previously cooked and cooled. Then reheated just before eating. I assume that doesn't impact the retrograded starch? That may be why reheated potatoes never have the same taste or texture as freshly cooked potatoes.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Does anybody else get horrible gas and cramping when eating just potatoes? I couldn't bear it any longer and ate a bunch of protein and fat on my 3rd day, and immediately the cramping subsided.

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast