Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 36

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I LOVE potatoes! Another 2 lbs gone overnight of the weekend bloat. 148.5 this morning. The lowest I've hit so far is 147.5, but with a rebound every weekend. 'Tis the season, right? I want to get below that low water mark this week.

And after an all potato day and a meat and potato supper, my evening meeting turned out to have Christmas snackies (very non-primal, but not too sweet). Despite moderate partaking in cheese ball and wheat crackers, I'm still down this morning!

I've decided to do another all potato day today until supper.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I LOVE potatoes! Another 2 lbs gone overnight of the weekend bloat.
    WTG!!

I flip-flopped yesterday. I had 2 eggs with a little salmon first, then tators the rest of the day. My scale moved down 1.1
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Ouis is offline Member
    you know, I have seen major changes in my blood sugars over the few weeks I have been doing this. When I started, I saw some high bounces (145)and high fbs (103). Now, after 3 weeks of adding potatoes back in (and alternating potato only days for 3 days a week to tater days/primal dinners) I am seeing lower fbs (80s), and very quick bounces back down after eating potatoes. It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
    Last edited by Ouis; 12-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    WTG!!

I flip-flopped yesterday. I had 2 eggs with a little salmon first, then tators the rest of the day. My scale moved down 1.1
    I hate you all. Day 4 and nothing (had dropped almost a pound of water weight and then it came back).

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouis View Post
    you know, I have seen major changes in my blood sugars over the few weeks I have been doing this. When I started, I saw some high bounces (145)and high fbs (103). Now, after 3 weeks of adding potatoes back in (and alternating potato only days for 3 days a week to tater days/primal dinners) I am seeing lower fbs (80s), and very quick bounces back down after eating potatoes. It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
    You're definitely on to something Ouis - and this is precisely why the alarmists/haters and fake doctors need to shut
    their traps and let people try things for THEMSELVES.

THEMSELVES!

Keep on keeping on,

Julie

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    I hate you all. Day 4 and nothing (had dropped almost a pound of water weight and then it came back).
    You are a woman, correct? For some reason, the only group who reports not losing on the potato diet is women. I think you actually are losing fat, but maybe fluctuating up in water weight. Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month? I guess you will have to look at longer term trends to see if it is working for you as opposed to daily readings.

I'm a guy, so not really qualified in this area...

i will be reading these thread

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month?
    Yal see, that is what I am experiencing now I think. I had gained, which a pattern seems to be that I gain towards the middle of the month. So I am losing what I had gained. But had I not stayed on top of it with tators, I think I would have continued to gain for a few more days. Then it takes me a week to get that back off. So I am on top of it this month for a change
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouis View Post
    It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
    It also shows me there are things the experts may be missing. I think you may be correct in thinking that a diet designed to keep starch/glucose/sugar at a minimum may actually cause unforeseen problems with insulin/glucose sensitivity.

Specifically, eliminating potatoes, bananas, bread, grains, and lentils removes almost entirely all sources of "resistant starch" from our lives. I agree it's good to limit the grains, but without the resistant starch, we may be causing harm to our intestines.

Please click: Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The big tie-in with resistant starch and intestinal health is butyrate, Butyrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Potatoes are probably one of the best sources of butyrate we can feed to our intestinal tenants. It is certainly a convincing argument for at least adding potatoes into my diet on a regular basis.

Look at the two links I provided and then Google "Potato Butyrate" or similar search terms.

More info:
    Whole Health Source: Butyric Acid: an Ancient Controller of Metabolism, Inflammation and Stress Resistance

Gut Flora and Inflammation | Mark's Daily Apple

The Human Colon in Evolution: Part 4, The Secrets of Butyrate | Melissa McEwen on food anthropology, economics, and culture

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month?
    What woman doesn't? :-) Yes I am female. I'll do it until Saturday for the first time around. I'll give it a few more tries after that - as long as I don't start gaining weight! Which doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just frustrated because I've tried everything - IF, keto, counting calories - and can't seem to break my homeostasis.

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast