Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 34

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    OK so day 1 for me was a no-go (fell off the wagon in the evening because I was just eating plain potatoes) - day 2 was good and now I'm on day 3. I eat potatoes with salt and a tiny bit of butter, plus a splash of milk/cream in my morning coffee. Yesterday I also had a bowl of spinach soup I had sitting in the fridge and didn't want to see go to waste. Down almost a pound but I'm suspecting it's mostly water weight. Still, feeling pretty good! Yesterday I had coffee in the morning, then ate around 11, second coffee around 12, ate again at 5, went to dance class 7:30-9:30, ate nothing afterwards. Coffee again this morning and still not hungry. I'll stick it out until Friday and see how it goes. This is my last-ditch effort to break my homeostasis without going insane, so this better work!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Here's an inspirational story for us Potato Heads:

My obese brother (age 50, 5'7", 335 lbs, 4 yrs post-lapband Sx) has been trying the potato hack the past few weeks. He has so many foods that he can't tolerate because of the lapband, but potatoes go down OK. And a bad snack habit, so the all-potato rule is a no-brainer for the type of person who allows all kinds of stuff to sneak into their diet. So when I learned about the PPD, I told him about it and he started the next day. Still uses a bit of milk and butter in his mashed, I think, and has had several other dinner engagements etc (tis the season, right?)

Well, in the past 2 weeks, he has dropped over 8 lbs! Texted me this morning to say 326.8 lbs! Amazing, eh?? He's pretty impressed!

Lariaz is offline Junior Member
    Hi, y'all!

I've been following along this thread quietly- great to see everyone's experiences.

I was wondering if any already-lean individuals have tried this and seen results? Is there something special about potatoes, or is it just pure caloric restriction?

Thanks!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lariaz View Post
    Is there something special about potatoes, or is it just pure caloric restriction?
    I wish I were smart enough to compile this information, but I am not. However I was smart enough to save a copy in my Super Secret Potato Project Science document

ChocoTaco369
    Forthose trying this "experiment," did anyone read this postat Hyperlipid that got this whole ball rolling to beginwith?

Hyperlipid:Protons: Zero fat

Thetheory why people are calling this a "diet hack" isn'tbecause of calories. That would just be normal dieting. The reasonwhy potatoes are the chosen food is because they're basically zerofat and come with high quality protein, something very rare in avegetarian protein source, and a lot of nutrients. The theory isbecause your body needs fat to manufacture insulin, if you are eatingZERO fat, it has to pull fat out of storage to manufacture insulin.Because white potatoes are so highly insulogenic and create such amassive, high GI response, it needs A LOT of insulin - which requiresa significant portion of fat. Since you aren't eating fat along withit, it is forced to go to adipose tissue as a source - and needsquite a bit - to make all that insulin.

Sowhen you start combining potatoes with outside sources of protein andfiber - like egg whites, fish or vegetables - you are destroying the"hack." You are greatly reducing the insulin spike you'resupposed to get, which lessens the immediate fat need from your fatcells to manufacture insulin. The whole point is because potatoes areso massively insulinogenic. If you add stuff, it doesn't work. It hasto be allpotatoes.

Youcould surely do it with white rice too, but it's not recommendedbecause there's virtually no protein (certainly no high qualityprotein) and far less nutrients. Potatoes were chosen because of thevery high quality protein, the nutrient density, the high glycemixindex and the fact that someone can survive a very long time eatingsimply potatoes - it is nearly a complete food - you will become illmuch faster eating just white rice than eating just white potatoes.
    HTH
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I did potatoes yesterday as well, and doing them today too.

This weekend I fell into a mixing bowl of a batch of cookies that was supposed
    to be 48 cookies, ended up being 35 (cuz i made them bigger) and then I ended
    up eating 75% of them myself. I figured they were about 200 cals each.

So, potatoes to get things back in perspective and in check yesterday and today, then tonight my
    MIL shows up, but won't want anything to eat (never does on flying day) so I will pass
    by dinner unscathed from crap food.

Planning on doing potatoes during the day when she is here and then eat whatever dinner
    she is craving at night, but just not a f*ckton of it.

I do, however, plan on going batshit crazy on xmas eve (our dinner night) and xmas day (our
    finger food day and dessert with the family night).

So there.

Man, it's just so nice, the satiating properties of potatoes. I swear it works just like a diet
    pill.

Not hungry for more potatoes, but the BEST part is that I'm not hungry for anything ELSE, no
    matter HOW tasty it smells or looks.

Blasphemy!

Julie

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hi, y'all!

I've been following along this thread quietly- great to see everyone's experiences.

I was wondering if any already-lean individuals have tried this and seen results? Is there something special about potatoes, or is it just pure caloric restriction?

Thanks!
    Without getting scientific, for me, it's nothing magic about potatoes whatsoever - it's caloric restriction
    for sure, but it's just the hunger blunting of the potato itself, and like I wrote above, I can get really full
    on a minimal amount of potatoes, and still not want ANY other food no matter how tasty it is or great it
    smells.

It's very, VERY perplexing.

I'm not super lean by any means, but I am 5'3.5 and around 125lbs.

Normal to say the least, but I'd love 115lbs.....

Anyway, and the only reason I'm 125 rather than 123 from my last potato fest,
    is because it's freaking ladytime and I pack on piles of water.

Disgusting, sloshy and gross feeling.

Hate it!

Thanks for the Hyperlipid link, gopintos. I had never read any of the previous potato threads, just found this one the day I started, so I'd missed out on the science behind it. Very interesting stuff!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    This is my last-ditch effort to break my homeostasis without going insane, so this better work!
    The closer you stay true to the tater, the better the outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Well, in the past 2 weeks, he has dropped over 8 lbs! Texted me this morning to say 326.8 lbs! Amazing, eh?? He's pretty impressed!
    Glad it's working out! I hope he keeps at it with weeks of nutrient refeeds in between.

Thanks!
    This diet will work for anyone with fat to lose. I did it several times over 6-8 months and am around 12-15% body fat. Each time I did it, I lost 1/2 to 1 pound a day overall. The trouble with leaner types is they don't have as much to lose, so don't see the need to do this extreme hack and end up not giving it a good try, if that makes sense. But then again, if you are lean, why would you want to go on a super-fat buster type diet?

I think the magic in this diet lies in the satiety effect of the potato. Google "Food Satiety Chart" and see what looms above everything on every chart. Being satiated allows you to drastically restrict calories, and that is the source of the rapid weightloss. Being an almost zero-fat diet, you begin using your own fat stores for energy once the starch is (quickly) used up.

It's pretty simple, really, and it won't work as well with rice, sweet potatoes, or vegetables like broccolli, cabbage, etc...

If you don't want to try it, but want a good tip that has come out of it..boil up a bunch of smallish potatoes, put them in the fridge and munch on these for a light meal. They fill you up and leave you full for hours.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Thanks for the Hyperlipid link, gopintos. I had never read any of the previous potato threads, just found this one the day I started, so I'd missed out on the science behind it. Very interesting stuff!
    YW. I can cut and paste much more, if you want. From Otzi I think Actually, it would be easier to find his original tator thread. There's some scienc-y shtuff right at the beginning
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nah, that was enough science for one day. I'm going outside into my non-snowy (amazing!) back yard and let the chickens out to play, then I'm going to plant garlic (that should have been planted in October, but my wrist was screwed up with tendonitis). No sun for Vit D, but at least it's not snowing and it's plus 4 C, pretty freaking amazing for mid Dec in central Ontario.

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast