Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 33

Theo911 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I definitely gained some momentum after a couple days it became easier when the craving effects and appetite seemed to dull from the routine of the potatoes. I never really wanted sweets or craved sugary stuff like a low-carb diet will do to you. Also I never felt really depleted and flat like a low-carb will do to you as well. I know the theory has been around for awhile but I'm waiting for this information to break more mainstream...maybe it has I just havent seen it.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I blogged about my Potato plus+ diet results with some glucose and calorie data: Potato Plus+ Diet Results | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living

Spoiler: lost 8 lbs in 10 days, hated the low-fat protocol despite including various LF foods. The satiety magic of the potato is lost when other foods are involved. YMMV, of course.

Just read your blog...great job capturing your experience. So cool, too, that you look exactly like your avatar in real life!

I'm really surprised that you lost so much eating what you did. Too bad about the hunger. You should try it again in a few months with only a miniscule amount of fat and meat and no other veggies. I'll bet you find the hunger blunting effects we all speak of.

just one question: why are you eating so much from midnight to 6am? Do you work nights?

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    I definitely gained some momentum after a couple days it became easier when the craving effects and appetite seemed to dull from the routine of the potatoes. I never really wanted sweets or craved sugary stuff like a low-carb diet will do to you. Also I never felt really depleted and flat like a low-carb will do to you as well. I know the theory has been around for awhile but I'm waiting for this information to break more mainstream...maybe it has I just havent seen it.
    I'm waiting for it to break mainstream, too. I think this diet will get the exposure it deserves and people will make money off it and write books.

I have been doing a very low carb keto experiment the past few weeks and I find myself scouring the cupboards for something to eat. When eating just potatoes, I'd eat, then be just fine without thinking about food even though my calories were sometimes half of my norm...

This hack is getting a lot of airtime in other blogs and catching people's eyes. At first, it's easy to blow it off as a fad diet like the old cabbage soup diet, but on closer examination, you see there are a lot of things in play.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    My big epiphany regarding the joys of mashed vs dry baked potatoes has continued all day. I ate the mashed redskins straight-up for breakfast, sprayed with balsamic vinegar and rewarmed at lunch and then had them mixed with an egg and fried in a pan (I was going for the potato pancake idea, but they didn't stick together) for supper. I sprinkled them liberally with garlic powder. Each feed of potatoes has been about 1.5-2 cups, enough to feel stuffed afterwards. I'm probably at about 600-800 cals for the day. In addition to adding the egg, I had about 2 oz of Brie cheese - now the pkg is done and it won't haunt my thoughts any longer.

Right now, I couldn't eat another bite. I feel full of potatoes right up to my back teeth. In fact, a little too full. Pretty sure I'm done eating for the day. And I have at least as many mashed potatoes ready and waiting for Day 2 tomorrow.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    My big epiphany regarding the joys of mashed vs dry baked potatoes has continued all day.
    <giggle>

Today, I tried something different also. I am sure someone else has posted this, however I also know not everyone likes to dig through the threads (like me to see if anyone already posted it) ha

okay, so I wanted to boil some tators. I had two different objectives. One, I didnt want to peel all these tators. And two I was thinking about the cold resistant starch, and thinking that maybe if they were boiled in their jackets, more of the starchy stuff would stay with the tator. I also knew that they would take longer, but would save me time on the back end with peeling. So, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. And they were much easier to peel, so all in all I think it was a time saver.

Now, I don't know about the starch objective. Since it was whole, there wasnt as much surface area for the starch to coat, but also I figured maybe not so much of whatever would be boiled out either? And maybe surface area is not important. Maybe just because I couldnt see/feel it, it wasnt there on the inside also. A little bit may have been removed with the peel, however for the most part, once started, the peel just came off thinly in sections.

So anyways, at least one of my objectives was accomplished. It worked great to wash them and then boil them whole, as far as simplicity goes.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I just washed and chunked up my redskins this morning, then mashed the skins right in. Adds colour and texture interest.

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I just washed and chunked up my redskins this morning, then mashed the skins right in. Adds colour and texture interest.
    Oh yal, I should have added, I did russets.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Just read your blog...great job capturing your experience. So cool, too, that you look exactly like your avatar in real life!

I'm really surprised that you lost so much eating what you did. Too bad about the hunger. You should try it again in a few months with only a miniscule amount of fat and meat and no other veggies. I'll bet you find the hunger blunting effects we all speak of.

just one question: why are you eating so much from midnight to 6am? Do you work nights?

Anyway, good job and thanks for sharing!
    Oh, I should have mentioned that my husband and I keep erratic hours. We're self-employed and work from home, so our schedule cycles often. Sometimes our day doesn't begin until 8:00PM. Bad habits.

I'm sure at least half of the weight loss was still water weight, despite my glycogen stores being topped off. I am prone to water retention, hence my prescription RX. Some day maybe I will try the original potato hack. hehe

Thanks! I had my avatar designed by a cartoonist.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

So yesterday ended up being all taters except for about 2 oz Brie and 1 egg, all in the late afternoon/suppertime. I was definitely hungry driving home from work (a 25 min commute), but I had no midafternoon potato snack, so I noshed on the cheese as soon as I came in the door.

And I'm back down 1.5 lbs this morning, though not yet quite back into the 140's. I'm all potato until supper today, then I'll add a meat serving at suppertime.

Loving this potato hack!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My calories were 2/3rds tators. Down .9 Yeah me! And yeah Marthat!!

Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast