Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 32

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm back on potatoes this morning, planning 2 days of spuds. I've got a big pot of redskins boiling right now, which I will mash with some smoked turkey bone broth and balsamic vinegar. Then eat it 2-3 meals/d. I plan to eat a meat portion at supper each night in addition to the potatoes - tonight will be London Broil - thin beefsteak wrapped around a ball of sausage meat. Needs a slow cook from what I understand - never done it before.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I've got a big pot of redskins boiling right now, which I will mash with some smoked turkey bone broth and balsamic vinegar.
    One of my favs, is tators with bone broth. I had some turkey broth the last couple of weeks and it was fantastic! Smoked broth sounds super fantastic!

Over the weekend, I even had DH eating it w/o knowing or thinking twice. It was tators, broth, and kraut. I did also dice up some leftover steak one time, and then yesterday it was shredded chicken. It was yummy!!!!

I also realized when weighing my tator, that for the hashbrowns that I fixed on my foreman, the after weight was half of the beginning weight. I guess all the water content & steam, but sometimes I weigh them first and never thought about it being that much of a difference.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

marthat is offline Senior Member
    OMG! What a yummy difference to have the potatoes NOT baked and eaten dry. I'm noshing on a big bowl of boiled and mashed redskins (with skins) moistened with smoked turkey bone broth, seasoned with only salt and pepper. It's like having porridge - total comfort food.

This is going to make the next 2 days MUCH more pleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I will see what it is this morning and decide what I need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    This is going to make the next 2 days MUCH more pleasant!
    Looks like I will spend a couple of days right here with you also. I was up again, just a little but that makes it 3lbs in 3 days. Which I know, could be any number of things. It is just aggravating when I really can't explain it. Everything was in check. Just aggravating. So I guess it will be my trusty tators today.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    It is just aggravating when I really can't explain it. Everything was in check.
    I was just thinking what I might have done different. About the only thing, with DH being home those days, I opened my window early. So I ate breakfast. Which means by the end of the day, I do have a few more calories, but still I was between 1300, 1400, 1600. My biggest gain of 2lbs came after a couple of 1300 days. So I just don't know. Fats 30ish%, carbs 40ish%, proteins low 20ish%. I might should have upped my protein I guess. I had been trying for a 3 way split and looks like I mixed the mark on that.

Looks like yes, my best days for progress last week, was when I had more protein, and was closer to a 3-way, and my calories were around 1500.

Thanks, glad we could have this chat. It was very helpful

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I blogged about my Potato plus+ diet results with some glucose and calorie data: Potato Plus+ Diet Results | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living

Spoiler: lost 8 lbs in 10 days, hated the low-fat protocol despite including various LF foods. The satiety magic of the potato is lost when other foods are involved. YMMV, of course.
    Wow! Impressive numbers. Makes sense to me why your results turned out the way they did.

Question on other things though - did you get any exercise? If so, how many calories do you think you burn every day?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Wow! Impressive numbers. Makes sense to me why your results turned out the way they did.

Question on other things though - did you get any exercise? If so, how many calories do you think you burn every day?
    My exercise was just walking with intermittent jogs every few minutes for an hour at a time, but not every day, I'd say 6 out of the 10 days that I did LF. My maintenance is around 2500-2800 calories or so, maybe as high as 3000. I've been in a downward (weight) trend for a long time and I do IF several days out of the month, so I don't even know for sure. IF creates an effortless deficit as well. I didn't IF for nearly as long as usual while doing the HCLF protocol, though. Couldn't. Wanted to eat every 3 seconds, lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Theo911 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Everyone I wanted to add my experience to this thread. I mostly lurk on this site everyday and really enjoy reading about everyone's experiences so I wanted to try this Potato Hack myself. I'm M45, 6' 4", 220ish pounds, overall pretty active. I run, lift, do 1/2 marathons and shorter races and an occasional Olympic or shorter triathlon. 2 young daughters (3 and 1). I'm in decent shape but like most folks that do races I've always felt like if I could drop a few more pounds I could be a little faster and place better in my age group.

I've always found that losing weight while doing lots of running or training is really alot more difficult than people think and is counterintuitive since you are doing so much cardio. Problem is you get hungry from the workout! So while I could lose a few pounds during the heaviest training weeks prior to a race, messing with calorie deficit diets will royally jack up a workout and performance. Duh. Not really training for anything now so it was a good time to experiment with diet.

So over the course of this past summer and fall I've been eating more Paleo thanks to this site but not 100%. My most significant lesson from MDA is eat fewer processed carbs/sugar, more meat/vegetables and not eating at the "programmed" times ie. I skip breakfast or eat a light protein (eggs wbacon) breakfast which keeps me satisfied for several hours. Weight-wise I've dropped from 235-240down to around 225 this summer and my goal was 220 and then re-evaluate how I feel and look.

Two weeks ago I went "Full-Potato" even though some here say you should never go "Full-Potato". It was only for a couple of weeks so wtf. Not very scientific so sorry about that. Here are my observations/experiences:

1. Starting weight 225.
    2. Started with baked potatoes with salt, pepper and ketchup/hot sauce. Probably ate 9/10 per day. Never really counted or weighed anything just ate until I was satisfied. Cheated a little with bites here and there of other food for sanity.
    3. Perfected crispy hash browns on a Cuisinart griddler with little oil. Used salt/pepper/ketchup. Didnt like apple-cider vinegar but malt vinegar was amazing with it.
    4. Moved on to cutting the pototoes into fries and chips and baking for 50 mins until crispy. This was rediculously good with salt/ketchup/malt vinegar. NEVER got tired of this.
    5. It was a little difficult the first few days but over time my cravings and overall appetite were noticeably blunted to the point where I was thinking "Damn this is ez!".
    6. 3 potatoes cut up and baked is a large meal and is very satisfying. It didnt keep me full as long as I thought it would but after 3 hrs I probably could eat again but I wasn't "out-of-control" starving like a sugary meal would have left me.
    7. My weight slowly came of around .5lb/day. After about 6 days I thought I was probably putting too much salt on and when I backed this off I dropped another 2 lbs.
    8. I ran a couple times 4.5 miles each and felt terrible. My training has been inconsistent so that didnt help. Hard to determine if the Full-Potato eating was the cause but I think it contributed to it at least from a caloric-deficit perspective.
    9. Lots of comments from people at work when I was baking them at work and walking around with a big plate of potatoes 2x/day. I just said these are so good I cant stop eating them! I didnt want to get into the experiment with them.
    10. Ending weight 219.

Bottome line for me it worked and it was not that hard. I havent been this light for a long time. I feel like I have a better grip on my cravings and portions. I'll resume my training and continue to monitor my weight every day. I'll probably resume normal Paleo eating for a brief time then try to get down to 215 and re-evaluate again. Damn I love potatoes even more than before! Thanks to those that shared this information on the PPD.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    Lots of comments from people at work when I was baking them at work and walking around with a big plate of potatoes 2x/day. I just said these are so good I cant stop eating them! I didnt want to get into the experiment with them. .... Damn I love potatoes even more than before!
    OMGawd, I loved all of this, but especially these parts I will have to remember that line!!

Good job!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo911 View Post
    Hi Everyone I wanted to add my experience to this thread...
    ...Two weeks ago I went "Full-Potato"
    ...Starting weight 225.
    ...Ending weight 219.
    Jon
    Jon, you are a man after my own heart! I love that you did this and posted about it. You did it just like I did, minimal other foods, but an occasional bite of something. Next time you do it, it will be easier to forego those extra bites because you will have faith in the system.

I think it is so funny to hear person after person say they are not tired of potatoes despite eating them for 1-2 weeks straight. Imagine that with chicken breasts, I'm sick of them after two meals in a row!

Thanks for sharing.

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast