Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 513

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 31

  1. #301
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    57
    I have found that the first day or 2 will be harder with more hunger pangs - but then it gets really easy by day 3 onwards, when your hunger becomes normal and manageable.

  2. #302
    unchatenfrance's Avatar
    unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    788
    OK, well I totally fell off the potato wagon tonight, hopefully I can stay on track tomorrow for Day 2!

  3. #303
    tmech's Avatar
    tmech is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    OK, 27-year-old 5'7", 155-lb (~23-25%BF) female over here - how the heck are you people sated with 6 potatoes a day? I'm on day one and have already eaten 3 lbs of potatoes and am STARVING every 2-3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore and am diving into a tub of Greek yogurt as we speak.
    You prompted me to actually register! well done!

    I did last week on taters, and tried various experiments with satiety.

    tl;dr - add a little fat and see if that helps.


    Sun - straight taters/salt/pepper. hungry and irritable all day.
    Mon - x2
    Tues - x2, but had to be out for social drinks late in the evening and grabbed Hot Chips on way to drinks to make sure I'd eaten. Immediately felt more full and less cranky than all week.
    Wed - Added 50g of ham with breakfast and lunch. Was much less hungry, had to remind myself to eat.
    Thur - x 2
    Fri - Tried without ham, but with extra butter. Not hungry.

    So my weight loss went something like ..

    Day Change (kg)
    Sun 0
    Mon -.6
    Tue -.9 chips
    Wed 0 ham
    Thurs -.3 ham
    Fri +.1
    Sat -.9

    So there was a pretty marked drop when I was doing just taters but I was also miserable. Ham appeared to entirely stall my losses. Adding more butter on the Friday managed to keep me feeling ok and the Saturday drop was either a cumulative effect from the week finally paying off, or there's some kind of magic to the tater+fat combo (for me).

    I don't really think daily weighing can tell you too much, but those are the numbers.

    Today I am trialling having a bit more fat (1 tsp with ~400g taters, and 1Tbsp of coconut oil this morning) and I feel full and happy and good with the world. So miserableness and hunger are solved, but I don't know what effect it will have on weight loss yet.

  4. #304
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tmech View Post
    You prompted me to actually register! well done!

    I did last week on taters, and tried various experiments with satiety.

    tl;dr - add a little fat and see if that helps.


    Sun - straight taters/salt/pepper. hungry and irritable all day.
    Mon - x2
    Tues - x2, but had to be out for social drinks late in the evening and grabbed Hot Chips on way to drinks to make sure I'd eaten. Immediately felt more full and less cranky than all week.
    Wed - Added 50g of ham with breakfast and lunch. Was much less hungry, had to remind myself to eat.
    Thur - x 2
    Fri - Tried without ham, but with extra butter. Not hungry.

    So my weight loss went something like ..

    Day Change (kg)
    Sun 0
    Mon -.6
    Tue -.9 chips
    Wed 0 ham
    Thurs -.3 ham
    Fri +.1
    Sat -.9

    So there was a pretty marked drop when I was doing just taters but I was also miserable. Ham appeared to entirely stall my losses. Adding more butter on the Friday managed to keep me feeling ok and the Saturday drop was either a cumulative effect from the week finally paying off, or there's some kind of magic to the tater+fat combo (for me).

    I don't really think daily weighing can tell you too much, but those are the numbers.

    Today I am trialling having a bit more fat (1 tsp with ~400g taters, and 1Tbsp of coconut oil this morning) and I feel full and happy and good with the world. So miserableness and hunger are solved, but I don't know what effect it will have on weight loss yet.
    So that's over 2kg (4.4 lbs) in a week if I'm reading this right? That's awesome! Yes, daily weighing is misleading, but the weekly is telling.

  5. #305
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    OK, well I totally fell off the potato wagon tonight, hopefully I can stay on track tomorrow for Day 2!
    I fell off several times my first go. When I realized it worked so well the second run was much easier. It's like fishing in a new lake, once you know there are fish in there it's easier to sit in the rain all day waiting for a bite, but until you know there's fish you want to quit and go home after 15 minutes.

  6. #306
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tasham View Post
    So after 4 days I'm still down the same 1.5kg (58.5kg) i was after a day and a half. My stomach definitely is flatter and I am surprisingly not sick of potatoes yet.

    I'm finding that while I am satisfied on about 6 potatoes a day (maybe ~1.2kg) I am kind of fatigued and have a bit of muscle soreness that definitely is not from working out. I took a magnesium and a multi this morning so hopefully these will resolve the muscle soreness.

    I will continue through to day 7 and reassess my progress then. If weight loss is stalled above 58kg I may not continue through the second and third weeks unless I still really dig potatoes...no pun intended.

    A note on exercise: I have been doing daily cardio eg. 30 min jog/40 min bike/2 hr walk because I am currently recomping to reduce muscle mass as well as fat mass (put on wayyy too much muscle [for my aesthetic sensibilities] in 2012 when I switched over to resistance based/HIIT workouts).
    That's a good plan. If it doesn't work, don't force it!

  7. #307
    RayR22's Avatar
    RayR22 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US
    Posts
    20
    I am not a Potato only believer, however I love the mass-study you all are doing. haha. I eat potatoes whenever I want. I have always felt they were healthy and that weight/health was never just about carbs. So my one meal tomoro will probably be eggs, bacon, and hasbrowns with some butter.... take my Vitamin K2, D, Glutathione, Krill Oil, and be SATISFIIIIED. haha

  8. #308
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,805
    I've just finished Day 2, and I felt it was so easy to just eat so few calories and be full. Although right now, I'm a bit hungry, but I can actually resist the chocolate in my pantry. I also baked some bread today and was fine, although that's not a real difference since I've done so before and didn't feel like sneaking a lick.

    The only negative things I could say about this is:
    - The vinegar in everything is starting to make my body feel really acidic...I don't know how to describe it, but it feels weird. I'll stop with the vinegar for a day and see if it does anything. I just think there needs to be something acid to combat the alkalinity of the potato overload.
    - I am starting to get a lot of gas. I've been eating sweet potatoes and potatoes pretty regularly before this, so I don't think it's a gut flora issue.
    - I only had 30g protein today! I am pretty sure that the protein overload for the past YEAR will make up for this, though...

  9. #309
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,914
    I blogged about my Potato plus+ diet results with some glucose and calorie data: Potato Plus+ Diet Results | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living

    Spoiler: lost 8 lbs in 10 days, hated the low-fat protocol despite including various LF foods. The satiety magic of the potato is lost when other foods are involved. YMMV, of course.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  10. #310
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I blogged about my Potato plus+ diet results with some glucose and calorie data: Potato Plus+ Diet Results | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living

    Spoiler: lost 8 lbs in 10 days, hated the low-fat protocol despite including various LF foods. The satiety magic of the potato is lost when other foods are involved. YMMV, of course.
    I will have to check it out, but love the spoiler That is fantastic!!!

    I think your statement of satiety is lost with other foods, I think many find that to be accurate. I keep hearing Otzi's voice in my head.... Just eat tators! ha

    I may do a few tator days. I wasnt really planning it for awhile, but I think during this time of the month, I don't have a cycle anymore and not pre-mensie, but I have noticed that I seem to gain during the middle of the month for some reason, so I was going to watch it this month, and sure enough, I have had a little gain so I will see what it is this morning and decide what I need to do.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •