Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 30

Lovelykati is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Otzi, my goal is to drop down to 130-135. I want to lose fat fast. I have been gaining slowly ever since starting a vlc ketogenic hflc diet... About 25 lbs, to be more precise. I think I want my money back!!!!!! Lol. Really though, I underestimated how many calories I was eating and packed it on, especially after carb binges once a week. Did. Not. Work. Out. So there you go. :0) I am going to bump my carbs up from less than 40/ day to 75-100 and see if that helps after the hacks get me down where I want to be. I'm a 27 year old girlie, about 5'5", and super muscular. But fluffy as well.

tasham is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for a while and started the PD (not totally PPD unfortch) a couple of days ago. Starting weight was 60kg at 164cm. I lost 1.5kg in the first 1.5 days which is similar to the initial results i get IFing. Enjoying potatoes especially served as hash browns with a little tomato sauce, bbq and mustard (a little sugar, no fat. gonna let these slide for the mo). I am interested in the low food reward aspect of the diet as a way of retraining my appetite.

I have been eating 4-6 potatoes each day plus a little condiment with 1 meal only and a f***ton of black coffee/tea. My energy levels are normal, no coldness as of yet and cravings for other foods have definitely decreased.

My aim is to continue the PD until new year to see if I can break through my sticking point of 58kg.

Will update as I progress.

P.S. did not dare to weigh myself this morning as i drank a fair bit of alcohol last night.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelykati View Post
    Otzi, my goal is to drop down to 130-135. I want to lose fat fast. I have been gaining slowly ever since starting a vlc ketogenic hflc diet... About 25 lbs, to be more precise. I think I want my money back!!!!!! Lol. Really though, I underestimated how many calories I was eating and packed it on, especially after carb binges once a week. Did. Not. Work. Out. So there you go. :0) I am going to bump my carbs up from less than 40/ day to 75-100 and see if that helps after the hacks get me down where I want to be. I'm a 27 year old girlie, about 5'5", and super muscular. But fluffy as well.
    I'd say if you want to lose 25-30lbs over the next couple months, start with 5-7 days of just potatoes, nothing else (except salt, pepper, vinegar, coffee, water). Drop a few pounds in a hurry, then eat a week of healthy Primal with whatever you want, then a week of potatoes--but with a little bit of added meat and maybe a few more non-potato veggies. Get a feel for where you are losing best--if it takes all-potato, do it--but alternate it with healthy weeks with plenty of fish, liver, big-ass salads, etc... I spent a year trying to lose 10lbs, I can now do it in 2 weeks with just potatoes. You should be able to lose 30lbs in 10-15 weeks realistically.

Lovelykati is offline Junior Member
    Oh thank you for the input! I think on Monday I'll shoot for the moon and try 7 days with vitamin supplements. I will post progress.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tasham View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for a while and started the PD (not totally PPD unfortch) a couple of days ago. Starting weight was 60kg at 164cm. I lost 1.5kg in the first 1.5 days which is similar to the initial results i get IFing. Enjoying potatoes especially served as hash browns with a little tomato sauce, bbq and mustard (a little sugar, no fat. gonna let these slide for the mo). I am interested in the low food reward aspect of the diet as a way of retraining my appetite.

I have been eating 4-6 potatoes each day plus a little condiment with 1 meal only and a f***ton of black coffee/tea. My energy levels are normal, no coldness as of yet and cravings for other foods have definitely decreased.

My aim is to continue the PD until new year to see if I can break through my sticking point of 58kg.

Will update as I progress.

P.S. did not dare to weigh myself this morning as i drank a fair bit of alcohol last night.
    Hashbrowns are definitely good! I find the whole potato project very interesting. The food reward aspect definitely looms over it as the biggest impact, but I think there is also a big 'gut flora' aspect as well. Plus, it makes slipping up very hard and it's cheap.

I always had good energy levels and no coldness. It also made me question a lot of things I had been eating prior, like nightly coconut milk smoothies, dark chocolate, nuts, etc... I was eating out of habit rather than hunger. Eating a single-food diet for a few days or weeks gives you time to reflect on your eating habits for sure--I found it very liberating to be able to say, "Today I eat POTATO" and then do just that. Good luck!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelykati View Post
    Oh thank you for the input! I think on Monday I'll shoot for the moon and try 7 days with vitamin supplements. I will post progress.
    Buy 25lbs of various potatoes, if you have the luxury of picking through them, get ones that weigh 1/2 pound. It makes it easier to gauge how many you will need day-to-day. Also, boil or bake a bunch (5 or 6) ahead of time and keep in fridge for munchie attacks. Potatoes take so dang long to cook you might slip up if there's nothing ready....

Also, give the waffle-maker/Foreman Grill Hashbrown's a try. Best way to eat potatoes in my opinion, but also easiest way to over eat, except it takes a bit of effort to shred and cook them that way. Boiled and chilled potatoes are probably the best if you just need food in your stomach--they fill you up and it lasts a looong time! I like to take these for work lunches. One or two and I'm good til supper.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Atticus, I think you should start a fresh post with this in the fitness part of the forum. I would be interested in the commentary from the folks that spend time on posts there who may not have the interest to wade through the land of the potato hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Your post brings up what I find to be a very important point. Sometimes we equate performance during training as the measure of the workout protocol. I think this is losing sight of the goal in some cases. For me, during the experiment, my goal is to maintain the muscle mass I had when I started. It seems clear from a ton of studies that this is possible with some form of resistance training during caloric restriction. It doesn't even seem that the protocol is that important (see below). Obviously, if I'm crushing myself repeatedly during a period of caloric restriction, both the actual workout performance and the recovery would probably suffer. People forget its the recovery that's important, which your post points out. If I had plans to compete in a 100m collegiate sprinting event, or a marathon, I may think twice about eating at 1500 calories leading into that event.

Whenever I hear an questions on how much resistance exercise to perform, I always come back to a study by Carpinelli, Otto and Winnett in 2004. Talk about a lot of words. However, the summary at the end of that *60* page study is one of the best guides on resistance training ever written (in my opinion), and is completely inline with PB Fitness. It reads:

"The preponderance of research strongly suggests that gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, and endurance are the result of the following simple guidelines:

Select a mode of exercise that feels comfortable throughout the range of motion. There is very little evidence to support the superiority of free weights or machines for increasing muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Choose a repetition duration that will ensure the maintenance of consistent form throughout the set. [...] No study using conventional exercise equipment reports any significant difference in muscular hypertrophy, power, or endurance as a result of manipulating repetition duration.

Choose a range of repetitions between three and 15 (e.g., 3-5, 6-8, 8-10, etc.). There is very little evidence to suggest that a specific range of repetitions (e.g., 3-5 versus 8-10) or time-under-load (e.g., 30s versus 90s) significantly impacts the increase in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Perform one set of each exercise. The preponderance of resistance-training studies shows no difference in the gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance as a result of performing a greater number of sets.

After performing a combination of concentric and eccentric muscle actions, terminate each exercise at the point where the concentric phase of the exercise is becoming difficult, if not impossible, while maintaining good form. There is very little evidence to suggest that going beyond this level of intensity [...] will further enhance muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Allow enough time between exercises to perform the next exercise in proper form. There is very little evidence to suggest that different rest periods between sets or exercises will significantly affect the gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Depending on individual recovery and response, choose a frequency of 2-3 times/week to stimulate each targeted muscle group. One session a week has been shown to be just as effective as 2-3 times/week for some muscle groups. There is very little evidence to suggest that training a muscle more than 2-3 times/week or that split routines will produce greater gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.
    "
    Full study:
    http://www.goldmedalsquared.com/docu...Myths_2002.pdf

Hi Everyone!

Here are the stats on my second round of potatoes. Please note that no attempt was made to actively restrict calories, I just fixed my plate on top of my food scale and then tallied up the results at the end of the day. All food was measured to the gram. Always ate to satiety. On the last 3 days I had dinner in the style of the "Mary's Mini" McDougall diet - with added veggies, no fats. I've attached a pic of what this dinner was like

December 10 - 138 pounds
    Calories consumed: 845
    Calories Burned: 1768

December 11 - 136.2 pounds
    Calories consumed: 783.7
    Calories Burned: 1954

December 12 - 135.8 pounds
    Calories consumed: 618.5
    Calories Burned: 1923

December 13 - 135.6 pounds
    Calories consumed: 676.2
    Calories Burned: 1765

December 14 - 135 pounds
    Calories consumed: 909
    Calories Burned: 2018

December 15 - 135 pounds
    Calories consumed: 919
    Calories Burned: 1719

December 16 - 135.8 pounds
    Calories consumed: 960
    Calories Burned: 2369

December 17 - 136.8 pounds

I have stopped the potato fast because it is now a few days before TOM, so I will continue to gain weight which will come off the week after TOM - hopefully with a whoosh! I am currently retaining a lot of water because my fingers are like sausages. Over this past week I feel that my upper body feels smaller, but bum and thighs are unchanged

Overall, I have found the potato fast is great for controlling your relationship with food and appetite. It is really satisfying, especially if you can do the Mary's Mini style with added veg. I could have gone on for way more time, but I feel it is time for more nutrient dense foods. I will certainly use it in the future if I feel that my appetite and blood sugar are getting out of control.

It has not proved to be a miracle weight loss thing for my body - I have not been able to get below 135 pounds during 2012, and the potato fast didn't help that. I will go back to normal low carbish paleo to drop the weight because I know that has worked for me in the past.

I'm glad I tried it though! A great tool in the paleo toolbox that may come in handy in the future

PC140038.jpg

tasham is offline Junior Member
    So after 4 days I'm still down the same 1.5kg (58.5kg) i was after a day and a half. My stomach definitely is flatter and I am surprisingly not sick of potatoes yet.

I'm finding that while I am satisfied on about 6 potatoes a day (maybe ~1.2kg) I am kind of fatigued and have a bit of muscle soreness that definitely is not from working out. I took a magnesium and a multi this morning so hopefully these will resolve the muscle soreness.

I will continue through to day 7 and reassess my progress then. If weight loss is stalled above 58kg I may not continue through the second and third weeks unless I still really dig potatoes...no pun intended.

A note on exercise: I have been doing daily cardio eg. 30 min jog/40 min bike/2 hr walk because I am currently recomping to reduce muscle mass as well as fat mass (put on wayyy too much muscle [for my aesthetic sensibilities] in 2012 when I switched over to resistance based/HIIT workouts).

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, 27-year-old 5'7", 155-lb (~23-25%BF) female over here - how the heck are you people sated with 6 potatoes a day? I'm on day one and have already eaten 3 lbs of potatoes and am STARVING every 2-3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore and am diving into a tub of Greek yogurt as we speak.

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast