Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 29

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Otzi, the list looks pretty solid. The only thing I would disagree with is the "Lift Heavy Things" exclusion. Even while water fasting, light resistance exercise has been shown to help preserve muscle mass. This is why I chose to keep my bodyweight exercises in the mix (Push Ups, Pull Ups, Squats, Plank). Now, I would argue that heavy cardio or anything that overly crushes the glycolytic pathway should probably be given a rest during the week. Maybe change it to "Lift Light Things, Walk"
    I agree with this. I held off for a few days then did an intense weight lifting class and my performance was actually better. Now that I'm eating my regular primal foods again, I eat much more starch on lifting days. The potato experiment made me realize that I do better with eating starches on lifting days.

Atticus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I agree with this. I held off for a few days then did an intense weight lifting class and my performance was actually better. Now that I'm eating my regular primal foods again, I eat much more starch on lifting days. The potato experiment made me realize that I do better with eating starches on lifting days.
    Just found this:
    Resistance training preserves muscle during weight loss and will enable the body to lose only fat when in a negative calorie bal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    It's been 20 years but I use to lift heavy (and I think pretty heavy for a chick but I wasnt into reading magazines and comparing to others so I dont really know if it was all that heavy or not) on almost all tators. Tators and some chicken, but not so much these days yet. But I feel I could have with no trouble. It gave me increased energy for sure, and made me start a small ST program again. Prior to that, I wasn't really doing much. Just no energy. I was LC for quite a number of months.

Everyone needs to use their own judgement but I know people also like to have a guideline.

I am now wondering though, do you think the potential trouble is in having the strength and stamina to complete the workout, or do you think it is in the repair afterwards? I didnt get through that article posted, though it looks good, but my eyes kind of glaze over when I see alot of numbers and formulas, but it looks like the conclusion was high volume resistance. Does that mean lighter weight, more reps? I guess I should try to read it

LauraSB, Loved reading your results. WTG!
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-14-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Back on potatoes for today and tomorrow until supper (eating out). Big Japanese dinner out last night, plus some indiscretions yesterday (involving chocolate peanut butter cups). Weight bump this morning and belly bloat, so I'm back on potatoes to reverse the trend and get below 150 again.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    What diabolical person leaves a half-eaten 400 g bar of 72% cocao, dark Belgian chocolate in the lunchroom??? Especially on an all-potato day! And apparently it has been sitting there for a day or two only half eaten - don't these people realize how great dark chocolate is?

So, I've already cheated on my all-potato day, but in a good way - and man, was it good!

Atticus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am now wondering though, do you think the potential trouble is in having the strength and stamina to complete the workout, or do you think it is in the repair afterwards?
    Your post brings up what I find to be a very important point. Sometimes we equate performance during training as the measure of the workout protocol. I think this is losing sight of the goal in some cases. For me, during the experiment, my goal is to maintain the muscle mass I had when I started. It seems clear from a ton of studies that this is possible with some form of resistance training during caloric restriction. It doesn't even seem that the protocol is that important (see below). Obviously, if I'm crushing myself repeatedly during a period of caloric restriction, both the actual workout performance and the recovery would probably suffer. People forget its the recovery that's important, which your post points out. If I had plans to compete in a 100m collegiate sprinting event, or a marathon, I may think twice about eating at 1500 calories leading into that event.

Whenever I hear an questions on how much resistance exercise to perform, I always come back to a study by Carpinelli, Otto and Winnett in 2004. Talk about a lot of words. However, the summary at the end of that *60* page study is one of the best guides on resistance training ever written (in my opinion), and is completely inline with PB Fitness. It reads:

"The preponderance of research strongly suggests that gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, and endurance are the result of the following simple guidelines:

Select a mode of exercise that feels comfortable throughout the range of motion. There is very little evidence to support the superiority of free weights or machines for increasing muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Choose a repetition duration that will ensure the maintenance of consistent form throughout the set. [...] No study using conventional exercise equipment reports any significant difference in muscular hypertrophy, power, or endurance as a result of manipulating repetition duration.

Choose a range of repetitions between three and 15 (e.g., 3-5, 6-8, 8-10, etc.). There is very little evidence to suggest that a specific range of repetitions (e.g., 3-5 versus 8-10) or time-under-load (e.g., 30s versus 90s) significantly impacts the increase in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Perform one set of each exercise. The preponderance of resistance-training studies shows no difference in the gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance as a result of performing a greater number of sets.

After performing a combination of concentric and eccentric muscle actions, terminate each exercise at the point where the concentric phase of the exercise is becoming difficult, if not impossible, while maintaining good form. There is very little evidence to suggest that going beyond this level of intensity [...] will further enhance muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Allow enough time between exercises to perform the next exercise in proper form. There is very little evidence to suggest that different rest periods between sets or exercises will significantly affect the gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.

Depending on individual recovery and response, choose a frequency of 2-3 times/week to stimulate each targeted muscle group. One session a week has been shown to be just as effective as 2-3 times/week for some muscle groups. There is very little evidence to suggest that training a muscle more than 2-3 times/week or that split routines will produce greater gains in muscular strength, hypertrophy, power, or endurance.
    "
    Full study:
    http://www.goldmedalsquared.com/docu...Myths_2002.pdf
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-14-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Softened my language and added full study link.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. I need to reread that several more times

This link was in my email box this morning. Little blurp about the safe starches in the PHD new book
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Lovelykati is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone! I have read lots about the potato hack and have been doing my own version since Tuesday this week. I started at 162 and am down to 159 this AM. I eat potatoes two or three times before supper, with .5-1 tsp fat per tater, then 3oz chicken liver cooked with minimal fat, some red wine and spices. And of course, more spuds. I have also included a little homemade unsweetened kombucha and mineral supplements. I am thinking of doing a deal where I eat good amounts of protein and fat and lift heavy on the weekends and do the PPH mon-tues, thurs-fri. Today is day four in a row and I'm feeling cold and lazy. I'm averaging 1,000 cal a day. Should I change something?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelykati View Post
    Hi everyone! I have read lots about the potato hack and have been doing my own version since Tuesday this week. I started at 162 and am down to 159 this AM. I eat potatoes two or three times before supper, with .5-1 tsp fat per tater, then 3oz chicken liver cooked with minimal fat, some red wine and spices. And of course, more spuds. I have also included a little homemade unsweetened kombucha and mineral supplements. I am thinking of doing a deal where I eat good amounts of protein and fat and lift heavy on the weekends and do the PPH mon-tues, thurs-fri. Today is day four in a row and I'm feeling cold and lazy. I'm averaging 1,000 cal a day. Should I change something?
    I'd say it depends on your goals. Most have taken on the potato diet to lose 4 or 5 pounds quickly. If you have considerable weight to lose and are hitting stalls with the tried and true weight loss tactics, you could try alternating days or weeks, but I think the best results come from people who eat mostly potatoes for at least a week.

I like to think of it as a way to target fat and not worry about anything else for the duration. If you are wanting to use it long-term, you are kind of in uncharted territory and we will be asking you questions soon!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Could be time to go microwave a potato.

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast