Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 28

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Go, gointos!!!

@sjmc: I peel my potatoes, so that's not a factor.

I am actually wondering if I need to consume potatoes with yogurt and sauerkraut, i.e. probiotic to aid digestion. When I was doing my carb-ups, I did that and never had troubles. My carb up was just one day, and huge (6 lbs of potatoes) but yes, I ate yogurt and sauerkraut along with the potatoes.
    I have included some kraut w/tator before. I use kraut when fasting also
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Ha-ha, I like the suggestion about the fridge, though for me I will probably need a poster of an Athletic Goddess, I react so much better to positive than to negative.
    Well, this isn't positive either, but you could always put on a pair of pants that fit rather tightly
    whilst MAKING all the delicious treats, so the tightness reminds you to keep your eye on the
    prize.

God I hate tight pants.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I would like to let everyone know that I have been able to maintain the weight I lost on potatoes last week. Except for some water weight gain after eating chocolate and drinking wine and beer over the weekend, I have kept off all three pounds. When I weighed myself this morning, I was 133 (1 pound less than when I finished the potato hack, but that's probably water weight), and that is despite the fact that I had a super high calorie (but low carb) day yesterday--2,363 calories! I have to say that I'm very pleased with the results and will do it again after X'mas.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Great job Serenity!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I would like to let everyone know that I have been able to maintain the weight I lost on potatoes last week. Except for some water weight gain after eating chocolate and drinking wine and beer over the weekend, I have kept off all three pounds. When I weighed myself this morning, I was 133 (1 pound less than when I finished the potato hack, but that's probably water weight), and that is despite the fact that I had a super high calorie (but low carb) day yesterday--2,363 calories! I have to say that I'm very pleased with the results and will do it again after X'mas.
    If you do, come back here and start a thread called "Potato Reset". I think that is how it should be used...maybe we can get a cool movement going.

I love the thought of having a 'reset button', in the form of a week of spuds, that I can hit a couple times a year to keep from obsessing about weight stabilization and prevent the 'fukitol' attitude that comes with weight gain. Yo-yo'ing is super-unhealthy, keeping weight in a 5-10 pound band is super-healthy.

From watching everybody of this, and the other threads, I would like to propose the following guidelines for a "Potato Reset"

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily.
    3. Other foods allowed (but optional!): 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup bone broth, 1 tsp max daily coconut oil, olive oil, or butter,
    1-2oz lean meat daily. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think 'de-load week'
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF'ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the "Potato Reset" diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

What do you think? Let's come up with a good list and start a new thread!

Atticus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you do, come back here and start a thread called "Potato Reset". I think that is how it should be used...maybe we can get a cool movement going.

I love the thought of having a 'reset button', in the form of a week of spuds, that I can hit a couple times a year to keep from obsessing about weight stabilization and prevent the 'fukitol' attitude that comes with weight gain. Yo-yo'ing is super-unhealthy, keeping weight in a 5-10 pound band is super-healthy.

From watching everybody of this, and the other threads, I would like to propose the following guidelines for a "Potato Reset"

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily.
    3. Other foods allowed (but optional!): 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup bone broth, 1 tsp max daily coconut oil, olive oil, or butter,
    1-2oz lean meat daily. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think 'de-load week'
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF'ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the "Potato Reset" diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

What do you think? Let's come up with a good list and start a new thread!
    Otzi, the list looks pretty solid. The only thing I would disagree with is the "Lift Heavy Things" exclusion. Even while water fasting, light resistance exercise has been shown to help preserve muscle mass. This is why I chose to keep my bodyweight exercises in the mix (Push Ups, Pull Ups, Squats, Plank). Now, I would argue that heavy cardio or anything that overly crushes the glycolytic pathway should probably be given a rest during the week. Maybe change it to "Lift Light Things, Walk"

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Going to post my results of the potato++ plus diet later tonight. Been busy with my birthday yesterday and all.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Cool... everyone doing the potato thing is a vegan... !

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Otzi - the list looks great - and yeah, I agree with Atticus - probably lifting light
    things is okay, but don't go fully balls out.

Or, if you weren't really feeling the lifting, like I wasn't, then don't.

Happy Birthday Jenn!

GREAT job Serenity!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been following the potato threads, debating whether there might be anything in it for me. As I've gotten closer to a healthy weight, weightloss has slowed, 1200-1300 cal/day felt less and less like enough and fiddling with macros made no noticeable difference in weightloss or satiety. For the last month, I've been bouncing around between 1300 and 2000 calories, with an average of about 1500 and I've been drifting between 137 and 139lbs. Starting on Sunday, I ate something like this:

6am- the usual 2 cups coffee with 1/3C 2% milk in each
    8am- 8-12oz baked sweet potato
    11am- start on 12-16oz steamed white potato, too much for one sitting, finish it by 1-2pm
    4pm- 100-200 calorie snack, anything primal goes
    7pm- 300-400 calorie dinner, anything primal goes

I'm down 3.5 lbs in 4 days, to a new low of 135.5 lbs. I learned a number of things that I found interesting and useful.

1) 1300 calories is no problem eating like this. I do want to eat more often, but am less tempted by non-primal foods when I'm hungry.

2) Beer is a regular part of the ritual of cooking and eating dinner for me and I have struggled with cutting it out altogether. I didn't miss it a bit on these potato days. Astonishing!

3) Plain sweet potato sprinkled with garam masala is delicious. I may have this for breakfast fairly regularly. I'll never put butter on a sweet potato again. I'm not sure why I thought they needed it.

4) White potato lightly mashed with salt, pepper and ACV is delicious. This is a super easy meal or snack that I'm glad to have in the repertoire.

At the end of day 5, I'm starting to feel really rumbly inside. Too much fiber? Change in gut flora? Intestinal virus? It's annoying, so I'm going to back off the potatoes for a few days. I'll be interested to see how that affects my feelings about beer, lol. Next week I may try potato for just breakfast or just lunch and see what the effect of that is. I'm not sure if I could do just potatoes all day, but I may try that too.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast