Ketones: 0.3

Day 7: Calories: 2004
    Morning Weight: 187.8
    BF: 19
    Fat Pounds: 35.68
    Lean Mass: 152.12
    FBG: 98
    Ketones: 0.0
    (Note: went slightly off diet on this day. Had Chipotle bowl with Rice, Veggies, Chicken, no cheese, sour cream or guac. Tried to keep it as low fat as possible. Also, started mindlessly eating samples at Costco until I realized what I was doing. I had a sample of beef stew, salami and cheese and a chocolate truffle. Other than that, was back on potatoes by dinner, but note how many calories that added without much effort!)

Day 8: Calories: 1555
    Morning Weight: 187.2
    BF: 18.3%
    Fat Pounds: 34.25
    Lean Mass: 152.95
    FBG: 97
    Ketones: 0.3

Day 9: Calories: TBD
    Morning Weight: 187.4
    BF: 17.7%
    Fat Pounds: 33.17
    Lean Mass: 154.23
    FBG: 99
    Ketones: 0.4

Today will be my last full day on the experiment, as tomorrow is my Christmas Party, and I plan to have a steak. I will update final numbers tomorrow. Overall, my experience has been positive although I once the weekend hit it was much harder to stick to the diet.

This experiment clarified a lot of things for me: 1) I *expect* to extract enjoyment from my food. This could be at the crux of my issue in that I derive a lot of pleasure from food, and over the countless choices I have each day, I realized that I have been making some bad choices along the way. 2) This type of mono diet can be helpful to break some bad habits. I have been able to break an artificial sweetener habit, a "eat dark chocolate at night" habit, a Diet Coke habit, and creeping non-primal foods habit. 3) This is a valid whole-food hack. It was a nice way to eat "primal" without thinking. As I mentioned before, its the first time I have been completely dairy free. For me, it was much easier than say a Whole30 approach, which I started and failed. 4) I do not like what this protocol does with my blood sugars. Overall, the blood glucose levels were very high on this diet, and I did not see much if any improvement in post-prandial or FBG numbers. Normally, if I eat lower-carb primal, my FBGs are in the 80s. For this reason, I may not attempt this again. I also think I may be pre-pre-diebetic. My father is a full on Type II.

One other note, I continued my workout sessions without issue during this experiment, which is basically Convict Conditioning, which is very similar to the bodyweight exercises in Primal Blueprint Fitness. I was able to progress as expected, and even hit some PRs during the last week.

My plan going forward is to return to a stricter primal protocol, and on the lower carb side of things. Hey, kind of like this book called "Primal Blueprint" that I've read. I'm interested if coming into this already "fasted" will help me continue the weight loss. I do not have too much farther to go, just want to hit about 12% BF at some point in my life.

Thanks for all the support team Potato!

P.S. Individual results may vary.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-10-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spacing, spelling.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Good going, Atticus, congrats.

Did you try any of the acids, i.e. vinegar or lemon juice before eating potatoes to keep blood sugar down/steady?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    4) I do not like what this protocol does with my blood sugars. Overall, the blood glucose levels were very high on this diet, and I did not see much if any improvement in post-prandial or FBG numbers. Normally, if I eat lower-carb primal, my FBGs are in the 80s. For this reason, I may not attempt this again. I also think I may be pre-pre-diebetic. My father is a full on Type II.
    Here's an article you may find interesting: In T2 Diabetes, Which Comes First: High Insulin Levels or Insulin Resistance? | Diabetic Mediterranean Diet

You did great on the potato diet, you got the advertised weight-loss, anyway! I know what you mean about it re-establishing your relationship with food. I found it gives me time to contemplate what I normally eat and make wiser decisions when back to normal eating.

Good luck and thanks for posting all the stats, it will mean a lot to people in the future doing this.

otzi Guest
    Did you guys notice that in Mark's Sunday Link Love blog, he gave a shout to Richard Nikoley's blog on the Potato Diet, apparently he doesn't read his own forums!

Interesting Blog Posts In case you’ve been wondering about the latest fat-busting craze to sweep the Primal world, Richard Nikoley breaks down the basics of the potato diet hack in inimitable fashion.
    Read more: Weekend Link Love - Edition 220 | Mark's Daily Apple

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Did you guys notice that in Mark's Sunday Link Love blog, he gave a shout to Richard Nikoley's blog on the Potato Diet, apparently he doesn't read his own forums!
    I enjoyed reading that again. I always pick up something new that I overlooked/forgot/skimmed-over-too-fast before, and this time, I noticed he does supplement with bcaa and liver tablets.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Atticus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Good going, Atticus, congrats.

Did you try any of the acids, i.e. vinegar or lemon juice before eating potatoes to keep blood sugar down/steady?
    I did not, unfortunately. I did have salsa during several of the meals, which does contain some Citric Acid. Didn't notice any difference. I do want to point out that is is only my individual experience. If there is one thing to be said, insulin/glucose measurement is like trying to catch a falling knife. People with normal glucose control would probably not have the same results. I think I may be broken a bit. The time I did measure post-prandial, this is what I got. This was on night #4, so I had been at it for 4 full days:

1 hr: 163
    1.25 hr: 167
    1.50 hr: 163
    1.75 hr: 169
    2.0 hr: 137
    2.25 hr: 100
    2.50 hr: 136
    2.75 hr: 129
    3.25 hr: 126
    4.25 hr: 111

Needless to say, these numbers concerned me a bit. As I return to normal PB eating, I'll provide an update here on my numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Here's an article you may find interesting: In T2 Diabetes, Which Comes First: High Insulin Levels or Insulin Resistance? | Diabetic Mediterranean Diet

You did great on the potato diet, you got the advertised weight-loss, anyway! I know what you mean about it re-establishing your relationship with food. I found it gives me time to contemplate what I normally eat and make wiser decisions when back to normal eating.

Good luck and thanks for posting all the stats, it will mean a lot to people in the future doing this.
    Yes, thank you for putting up the original posts and explanations. Can't believe this "secret" thread just topped 10,000 views. It seems like a lot of people are stuck in the same boat as I was. I had successfully returned to health by following a low-carb primal diet, but stalled out with about 10 pounds to go. "80/20" foods started to creep into the diet.

One of the real unanswered questions I have is this: Is perhaps 17-19% body fat actually the healthiest weight for me from a longevity and functional fitness perspective? I know I wont grace the cover of Men's Health any time soon, but perhaps trying to drive down BF too much is counter-productive. I don't know . . . .
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-10-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Thanks for all the support team Potato!
    Loved reading your stats. Great job!

I meant to add, I know what you mean about resetting some other things. Over the weekend, I had some store bought yogurt. I like to make my own but didnt have any. And shortly after I had a headache, not bad but still. And then later and the next day I was pretty stuffied up. So, my sister was here so I gave her all the yogurt I had left, almost 3 cases (I get it CHEAP! at my Dutch store, that is why I have so much. That and since I make my own, the store bought doesnt get used up.) So anyways, I have known this for awhile, I think after the last time I did a full on tator, but I just wasn't ready to accept it I guess. So anyways, I wont buy anymore, except maybe for a starter. I will make my own and see how I get along with that.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-10-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: premature postulation

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm not following a strict regime. However, I've lost about 1.5 inches from my waist over about a month since cutting back the fat and eating more potatoes. I've also increased my maximum plank time by almost a factor of 3, effortlessly, which I find pretty compelling evidence in favour of eating more taters, less fat.

I've not weighed myself since I made the primal decision to ditch the scales a few months ago.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I'm not following a strict regime. However, I've lost about 1.5 inches from my waist over about a month since cutting back the fat and eating more potatoes. I've also increased my maximum plank time by almost a factor of 3, effortlessly, which I find pretty compelling evidence in favour of eating more taters, less fat.

I've not weighed myself since I made the primal decision to ditch the scales a few months ago.
    That is fantastic!!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Feeling bloated today. Worked out last and then drank insane amounts of liquid. That always puffs me up. It's also TOM, so the fact I still lost at all this week is remarkable in itself, lol.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast