Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 513

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 23

  1. #221
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    Primal Fuel
    So I'm kind of torn about whether to do four more days of potato starting tomorrow or whether to go back to low carbing. Even after a normal, largish meal Friday night with lots of alcohol (but only vodka and club soda--I was good in that respect), I was still 134 Saturday morning. But I went to a birthday party last night and ate lots of crap--well, I was pretty good and didn't eat any wheat (not even the birthday cake), but I did have a bunch of chocolate (yikes!), wine, and beer. I didn't even bother weighing myself this morning, but we'll see how bad the rebound is tomorrow (Monday) morning.

    My concern about doing potatoes again is that...after months and months of feeling like I'm going to die when running on low carbs, I finally got over that a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what happened, but, one day (a Thursday), I suddenly realized that, although it was Thursday and my glycogen stores are mostly depleted, my morning run was EASY!!! I was thrilled. Anyway, now even if I'm in ketosis, as evidenced by purple ketostix, running is easy. I'm really afraid that if I do the potato hack two weeks straight, my body would be used to running on carbs again and that if I went low carb again in the future, I would feel like I'm going to die when running again. What makes it worse is that I'm going on vacation next Friday and probably won't be eating super low carb while on vacation so if I don't reduce my carb consumption over the next couple days, I'd be high carbing for three weeks straight. So I'm thinking about not doing the potato hack again until sometime in January. What do you guys think?

  2. #222
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,675
    I just ate some organic potatoes that I got from Foothill Produce for 39 cents/lb and they were SO DELICIOUS. They were even sweet tasting! I'm buying organic only from now on XD

  3. #223
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    So I'm kind of torn about whether to do four more days of potato starting tomorrow or whether to go back to low carbing. Even after a normal, largish meal Friday night with lots of alcohol (but only vodka and club soda--I was good in that respect), I was still 134 Saturday morning. But I went to a birthday party last night and ate lots of crap--well, I was pretty good and didn't eat any wheat (not even the birthday cake), but I did have a bunch of chocolate (yikes!), wine, and beer. I didn't even bother weighing myself this morning, but we'll see how bad the rebound is tomorrow (Monday) morning.

    My concern about doing potatoes again is that...after months and months of feeling like I'm going to die when running on low carbs, I finally got over that a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what happened, but, one day (a Thursday), I suddenly realized that, although it was Thursday and my glycogen stores are mostly depleted, my morning run was EASY!!! I was thrilled. Anyway, now even if I'm in ketosis, as evidenced by purple ketostix, running is easy. I'm really afraid that if I do the potato hack two weeks straight, my body would be used to running on carbs again and that if I went low carb again in the future, I would feel like I'm going to die when running again. What makes it worse is that I'm going on vacation next Friday and probably won't be eating super low carb while on vacation so if I don't reduce my carb consumption over the next couple days, I'd be high carbing for three weeks straight. So I'm thinking about not doing the potato hack again until sometime in January. What do you guys think?
    When I was doing the potato diet, I was in ketosis almost the whole time due to low calorie intake. Not sure why you are wanting to start eating a high fat, LC ketogenic diet, but I don't think it will matter either way if you do another week or wait a few weeks.

  4. #224
    marthat's Avatar
    marthat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,053
    Monday morning and I'm back on potatoes, this time for 2 days. My weekend rebound was only a tiny fraction of the previous 2 weekends, up 2.5 lbs to 149.5, still below 150, which makes me very happy. The weekend was gluten free except for a tiny sliver of pie last night (1/16th of a lemon buttermilk pie, only one crust). We smoked a small turkey on our Big Green Egg and it was awesome, served with baked russets, roasted turnip and carrot and a steamed whole head of cauliflower with garlic butter. I've had a martini, 2 glasses of wine and some potato chips over the weekend. And still only a very moderate rebound - I'm impressed.

    So, onwards with several large oven-baked russets as leftovers from last night's feast. Had half of one for breakfast already this morning.

    And I'm NOT wearing my "fat pants" to work today! I'm smaller and not straining my fave black dress pants - YAY! In fact they are fitting even better than they did on Friday, the first day I dared to put them back on. So I'm shrinking, too.

  5. #225
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,785
    Unfortunately, did not work out very well for me. I had to eat about 1400 calories to keep full, and by whatever reason my digestion reacted horribly. I got really sick on Saturday with bloating after potato breakfast, so I switched to rice and bananas with yogurt. I did not think I ate much, but was up a pound the next morning (bloating, I suppose).

    The digestion calmed a little, so on Sunday I started on potatoes, but then sunk into one of the worst binges I have ever had (fruit, jam, yogurt and some roast pork). So, yeah, digestion is completely out. I am not taking food in until I am no longer sick. After which, I believe I will do broth, and then soups to heal up.

    I think potato diet works for people for whom it shuts appetite out on a very low caloric intake (i.e under 1,000 calories). If you are like me who needs to eat potatoes to ~ BMR-maintenance level, the weight of the potatoes & all the starch becomes problematic.

    So, potatoes are not my ticket to fat loss.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-10-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  6. #226
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    And I'm NOT wearing my "fat pants" to work today! I'm smaller and not straining my fave black dress pants - YAY! In fact they are fitting even better than they did on Friday, the first day I dared to put them back on. So I'm shrinking, too.
    Fantastic!

    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Unfortunately, did not work out very well for me.
    Oh, what a bummer Sorry to hear all that



    I weighed and was down 1.1 of my gain. I really thought it would be more as I thought the swelling was pretty much gone For now, I am just going to IF at least until 10, that will be 16 hrs like PHD protocol. Then I havent decided yet. The tuna and potato are sounding pretty good I really need to use up the sweet tators though. So I don't know but it will be tators of some kind at least until dinner.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  7. #227
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I just ate some organic potatoes that I got from Foothill Produce for 39 cents/lb and they were SO DELICIOUS. They were even sweet tasting! I'm buying organic only from now on XD
    Oh wow, that sounds like a good price?! Especially if you figure a few pounds is a days worth of meals Even if I am not doing all tators, PHD suggests up to a pound a day anyways, so that really helps out the food budget
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  8. #228
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,785
    Oh, what a bummer Sorry to hear all that
    Hey, it was worth a shot. Now I know I can't eat potatoes day in, day out
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  9. #229
    ezk's Avatar
    ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    paris
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Weighed myself this morning--was 137. Pretty crazy, considering that I was 132 last Friday. I know that most, if not all, of that was water weight because I ate very little carbs last week (was trying to recover from Thanksgiving).
    Does fat-free broth slow the progress of this hack? I want to give this thing its best chance of success. Should I stop adding broth to my taters? This hack is kind of like voodoo to me so it's hard for me to figure out the parameters.
    Serentiy, almost all brands of broth put some MSG in their products, even if it is not on the list of ingredients.
    They usually put it under the name of natural spices or rising agent or ..
    use only homemade, the rest sucks.

  10. #230
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    The tuna and potato are sounding pretty good
    Had yellers w/tuna. Nom Nom Nom

    Quote Originally Posted by ezk View Post
    use only homemade, the rest sucks.
    And homemade is so easy & delicious! Nom Nom Nom
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •