Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 13

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Stay strong, Abs!!

(slinks back into her corner, head hung in shame, with meat juices in the corners of her mouth...)

WonkoTheSane is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    This is one of the reasons I like this. Its the first time I've been truly grain, legume and dairy free. I realized this evening that I wasn't craving my evening dark chocolate, and I too am almost even enjoying my black coffee. Since I was at it, I also ditched my bad Diet Coke habit. Something about eating purely one thing makes this easier, not sure why.
    There's no leeway for convincing yourself "just this once", or "I'll call this my 20%". I'm seeing it very much as a tool to retune my tastes and not something I'd ever consider sticking to. I prefer eating real primal food, but life events that you wouldn't believe if I wrote them down had got me into a funk and this was about taking control back (I don't much like how that sounds, it's a bit disorder-ish, but it's not something I've ever suffered with).

WonkoTheSane is offline Junior Member
    I'm all done.

11 days of the potato diet (and one back to primal eating) and I'm down 4.2kg (9lb3oz). My tastebuds feel better adjusted to avoiding the sweet crap that I was falling for again, and I'm enjoying savouring my meat and veggies again. Strong black coffee tastes goooooooood again, not bitter.

I wish I'd taken more measurements. I thought of waist etc after I'd already lost a couple of pounds. d'oh.

I wrote up the experience at:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/wrigleyj/potatodiet

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Holy Cow!! I dropped 3 lbs overnight to 149.0. And that's with one non-potato meal of a burger and coleslaw. Between meal snacking is nil, I have steady energy, good sleep, regular bowels, what's not to like? Bored to tears with potatos, but they sure work!

On to Day 4, without the complications of yesterday, I hope.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    With those numbers, assuming you are male, of average height, and between 40 - 60 years of age, you were eating about 1150 kcal. per day, and your BMR requirements are anywhere between 1800 - 2000 kcal. So, you were at 58% - 65% of your BMR. Were you to not lose weight on such a protocol I would be stunned.

If you were eating at those levels and not feeling hungry, that is indeed impressive, but then we would need to discuss satiation vs. satiety, where satiation == your body is fed, and satiety == you are fed up ( with eating so many potatoes ).

Nevertheless, congratulations on your progress.

-PK
    Hi PK thanks mate, I am stoked to have broken thru a stall point and feel better carry around 6 kegs less.

6'2" male 43 years old and pretty active. Cheap Scales say 21% BF but I think I more in the 18-20%. would calculate BMR at 2500 to 3000 with what I do exercise wise, so to loose a lb a day is about right on a 2000 cal def as I am also sure there is also a metabolic boost with the change in gut bacteria.

To answer your other questions, yes that's really what I ate, about a kilo of spuds a day or 5-6 cups of rice. I was hungry at times but found a cold spud or a couple of mouthfuls of cooked rice would see me right. I also had the odd cup of beef stock (16 cals per cup) to stave off hunger to see me to the next boiled spud...

I have a question for you... Have you been to rays site and read his blog and the comments? If you have any major concerns or scientific questions you should send him an email or post a comment on his site. He only chose spuds as they are seen as an evil high GI carb.... I am sure it would work as advertised with other starchy foods that get converted to glucose readily in the gut.

Keep questioning and challenging things PK that's how we all learn and grow.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post
    I'm all done.

11 days of the potato diet (and one back to primal eating) and I'm down 4.2kg (9lb3oz). My tastebuds feel better adjusted to avoiding the sweet crap that I was falling for again, and I'm enjoying savouring my meat and veggies again. Strong black coffee tastes goooooooood again, not bitter.

I wish I'd taken more measurements. I thought of waist etc after I'd already lost a couple of pounds. d'oh.

I wrote up the experience at:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/wrigleyj/potatodiet
    Wow, good job! I will go check it.

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Holy Cow!!
    Holy cow is right! WTG!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I took a stock of the fridge and all supplies, and I am starting on Saturday. My goal is Saturday & Sunday, then evaluate on Monday morning. If the weight and appetite are stable, I will continue for a couple more days, and re-evaluate.

My main goal is to stay way from fruit over the weekend & I hope that potatoes will help. I want to go boiled Potatoes (peeled after boiling), red pepper flakes and dill only, with lemon juice of 1/2 lemon at least 3x a day.

Anyone else will be around on Saturday and Sunday?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Time for day three stats:

Day 3 - 12/5/12

Weight - 124.6 = -1.2lbs

Food -

M1 - coffee, 15g cream, 100g 2% milk - 101 cals

M2 - 165g russet potato with salt - 160cals

M3 - 169g baked sweet potato with salt - 177cals

M4 - 150g skinned russet potato with salt - 139cals

Total Calories - 579

Macros:
    P: 13g
    C: 113g
    F: 8g

Exercise - walking, rearranging furniture and cleaning my
    son's hell hole of a room. Also, a walk after dinner so we
    could take the kids around the 'hood to see xmas lights.

Steps - 12,474 = 6.2mi

Bodybugg - cals burned - 2152 minus 579cals = 1573 deficit

Not hungry whatsoever yet today, though it's only 6:55AM, but I've been up since 5.

I guess I'll be able to subsist on air soup and wind pie today! We shall see!

Have lots of energy though, so going to bamboozle my husband into going to the gym
    after I push the kids into their classrooms. No weights though, just the hamster wheel.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    @Wonko - Dude, ELEVEN DAYS - you are not sane ONE BIT. But hey! awesome job! And I'm glad to
    hear that it DID bring you back to a certain sanity with regard to food choices though. I know that
    it's doing that for me as well. I was getting wayyyyy too lax with my "food" (it's in quotes cuz most
    of it was halloween candy and other stupid shit).

@Martha - wow!!! That is CRAZY!

@Leida - I'm sure there will definitely still be peeps here on Saturday.

My plan is to quit "all potatoes all the time" on Saturday, but still use them
    like I was before - maybe a couple potatoes during the day and then a normal
    dinner of MEAT.

Going to try and keep my cals at 1200 since that seems to be the spot I have
    to be at to lose. Which is horseshit, but whatever. I'm old.

@fatbellyfrog - kudos to you too, you fully rocked it. Love all the stats as well.

@gopintos - WELL? WHAT IS THE VERDICT?!?!? Have you weighed yet?

How dare you keep me in suspense.

You are on restriction until further notice.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Weight this morning was 135, same as yesterday. I'm okay with it though--2 pounds over three days is pretty good progress, provided that it's 2 pounds of fat, haha. We'll see.

I was hungry when I got home from work yesterday so I had a bunch more potatoes. Grated up two already baked ones and heated it up in the oven until crunchy. Ate it with salt and vinegar--it was delicious! I was so hungry that I even tried a potato raw (couldn't wait for the stuff in the oven to heat up). I don't think I've ever had potatoes raw before, and it wasn't bad. I also baked more potatoes for today and decided to eat one of the fresh baked ones with some beef broth right before bed. I don't normally eat that late at night (in fact, I usually try not to eat after 5 or 6 pm on weekdays), but by the time I got home from work it was already 9:30 and I had consumed less than 1,000 calories. I was hungry, and I figured that I should just eat until I'm no longer hungry. After all, it's a potato hack and not a starvation hack.

So...I ended up consuming 1,549 calories yesterday. I'm not sick of potatoes at all although I do miss red meat. I'm not experiencing as much of an appetite suppression effect from potatoes as some others on this thread, but there is some kind of effect. Normally, if I'm allowed to eat as much I want to without completely gorging myself, I can easily consume 2,500 calories (that is only if I don't drink alcohol--the numbers are A LOT higher if you throw in a couple--or more than a couple--drinks). I think it's just because potatoes have a high volume-to-calorie ratio so you can eat a lot of it without consuming too many calories. My feelings of satiety/hunger heavily depend on the volume of food I consume so consuming a large volume of low-calorie foods makes me feel more satisfied, which is why the Kekwick fat fast is so hard for me. Ketosis also doesn't have the same kind of appetite-suppressing effect on me as it does on other people. Sucks being me. Oh well!

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast