Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Secret Potato Project page 10

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I know you don't have an eating disorder. Neither did I. I was just pointing out that, while choosing different menus, we both were essentially doing calorie restriction and both worked.
    Maybe it's time to resurrect your 'monster thread' on calorie counting--because you are right! I looked but couldn't find it. I think the only diff between normal calorie restriction and the potato diet is that the potato diet is meant only for 1-2 weeks max and has a high satiety effect.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    u mad or what? if you don't like it, gtfo!
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Boys and girls, do NOT engage the haters - just move past it like it never happened, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    I'm a little baffled by the people who find this ridiculous, think there are WAY too many "tater" threads, yet feel the need to insert themselves into each and every one of those threads...!?
    Sorry, not a hater, but I am mystified. As pklopp was doing and logging changes and trying to see how it works etc. I think is a good effort at least to try to understand what is going on with it. I even somewhat understand the concept of using potatoes as a "hack" (as it has been called - even though I couldn't do it), but I am not understanding calling it a "diet" (in the common understanding of the word) since that is what paleo/primal are so not about at all. And I think it is telling that when someone comes along and says that in their opinion eating plain potatoes would be boring (in their opinion mind you) that the wagons are circled.

I also happen to think that it is important to make comments for the sake of those who are new to paleo/primal. It's good for them to understand as they are learning about the ins and outs of making dietary changes that just because there are a number of threads dedicated to "taters" that there are also paleo/primal eaters who don't agree, or can't understand that kind of "hack," or are interested in the science behind it before they would actually do it.

Respectfully, this is also a public forum and so I think it should be an expectation to have comments from people who might not agree with you. If you want to have a forum that is private you will have to start your own I think. There are blogs that allow you to set up and keep it private...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

So I went to the grocery store and looked and looked for the super secret potatoes. I found russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, red bliss potatoes, fingerling potatoes, but nothing marked "secret" or "super secret." So I saw a guy stocking the apple rack, and I figured I'd ask him. But of course you can't just come right out and ask where the super secret potatoes are, because, you know, they're super secret. So I thought I'd play it cool, so I just pretended to be really interested in some Jonagolds, and then I whispered over to him Are there any other potatoes besides the ones over there?, nodding towards the potato rack. And he was like, No, that's all of them. But he was a real young guy, so maybe he just hadn't been initiated into the super secret potato society. Then I saw there was this old guy pushing out some boxes on a big cart, so I followed him over to the mushrooms. As he was refilling the bins of creminis, I thought I'd fish for some info. These would be really good in a ... potato gratin, don't you think? He kept stocking away, and just mumbled, S'pose so. So I pushed the issue. Well if I wanted to make a ... potato gratin ... but I didn't want to use any of the potatoes over there [nodding], where might I be able to find some ... special potatoes? He pushed his glasses back on his nose and thought for a moment. Aisle 11 has Ore-Ida and them, the ones in the boxes. I rubbed my chin as if to consider this, and then asked him But is there any other potato, a variety that's not on the rack over there, or in the prepared foods aisle? He said, Well, there's canned potatoes. I don't think there's any whole potatoes frozen. But you're better off using the fresh ones anyway.

So my first attempt to procure the super secret potatoes was foiled by the keepers of the super secret potato society. But I think the old man knows something, and I think he knows I know that, and so maybe it's like a test, where I have to come back and prove that I'm worthy of the super secret potato society's trust. I'm thinking maybe I could hand him a picture of a potato with the caption THE SECRET IS SAFE WITH ME. Unless there's a password. Spud? Idaho? Mr. Potato Head? It's all very perplexing. Maybe there's even an initiation rite. I hope I don't have to kill a goat and drink its blood.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat belly frog View Post
    For PK

First round (weight kgs, calories)
    Day 1, 110.9kgs, 1000 cals
    Day 2, 108.7kgs 1400 cals
    Day 3, 107.8kgs, 1000 cals
    Day 4, 105.9kgs, 1200 cals
    Day 5, 106.2kgs, 1000 cals
    Day 6, 105.8kgs, 1200 cals
    Day 7, 105.5kgs, 1200 cals
    Day 8, 104.8kgs, 1200cals
    Day 9, 104.5kgs, 1000 cals
    Day 10 104kgs, eat a big juicy steak that night
    day after 104.5kgs

Round two after 12 days of eating anything and everything.... even shock horror bread....

Day 1, 105.5kgs, 1800cals (had roast chicken for dinner, spuds and rice during day)
    Day 2, 105.0kgs, 1400 cals
    Day 3, 103.8kgs, 1200cals
    Day 4, 102.8kgs, 1200 cals (had red curry paste with green veggies and spuds for dinner - high salt content?)
    Day 5, 104.0 cals Finished Poataoes with lamb chops that night
    Day after 104.5kgs

Now eating 90% paleo and sitting between 103-105kgs. Prior to the PD I had bounced around 110-112kgs eating the same way.

I based calorie intake on the assumption of 100 cals per 100grams of spuds and 200cals per 1 cup of coooked white rice, allow +/-10% for sauces etc.
    With those numbers, assuming you are male, of average height, and between 40 - 60 years of age, you were eating about 1150 kcal. per day, and your BMR requirements are anywhere between 1800 - 2000 kcal. So, you were at 58% - 65% of your BMR. Were you to not lose weight on such a protocol I would be stunned.

If you were eating at those levels and not feeling hungry, that is indeed impressive, but then we would need to discuss satiation vs. satiety, where satiation == your body is fed, and satiety == you are fed up ( with eating so many potatoes ).

Nevertheless, congratulations on your progress.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Sorry, not a hater, but I am mystified. As pklopp was doing and logging changes and trying to see how it works etc. I think is a good effort at least to try to understand what is going on with it. I even somewhat understand the concept of using potatoes as a "hack" (as it has been called - even though I couldn't do it), but I am not understanding calling it a "diet" (in the common understanding of the word) since that is what paleo/primal are so not about at all. And I think it is telling that when someone comes along and says that in their opinion eating plain potatoes would be boring (in their opinion mind you) that the wagons are circled.

I also happen to think that it is important to make comments for the sake of those who are new to paleo/primal. It's good for them to understand as they are learning about the ins and outs of making dietary changes that just because there are a number of threads dedicated to "taters" that there are also paleo/primal eaters who don't agree, or can't understand that kind of "hack," or are interested in the science behind it before they would actually do it.

Respectfully, this is also a public forum and so I think it should be an expectation to have comments from people who might not agree with you. If you want to have a forum that is private you will have to start your own I think. There are blogs that allow you to set up and keep it private...
    I think that the most important voices to be heard are those of the dissenters.

We already have an inborn tendency towards confirmation bias ... why fan those flames by excluding contrary viewpoints?

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    The secret password is "the eye's have it!".

Thanks for the entertaining story..... you silly boy!

Okay day 2 stats..............

Day 2 - 12/04/12

Weight: 125.2 = -.6

Food:
    M1 - coffee, 15g cream, 115g 2%mik - 109cals

M2: 250g baked russet rounds with salt - 242cals

M3: 450g skinned red potatoes made into a "soup" (wallpaper paste?), with salt - 324cals

Total Calories: 676

Macros:
    Protein - 19g
    Carbs - 131g
    Fat - 8g

Exercise - A whole lot of nothing other than laundry
    and walking back and forth to school 6 times.

Bodybugg said I burned 2052 cals for the day so minus
    the 676 is 1376 deficit.

I did end up walking 10K steps though, so that's five miles.

I can't wait to see what I weigh today, as I went to bed last night
    weighing LESS than I did when I weighed yesterday morning. That is weird.

Also, yesterday's russet potato rounds were tasty, but I was hella full from them
    forever. I only made my potato wallpaper paste later in CASE I got hungry, which I
    did, but not hungry enough to eat all of the slop that I made.

The curious thing was that even though everyone else around me was eating toothsome things,
    I wasn't hungry for any of THAT either.

Very.Very.Odd.

Pretty hungry today and potatoes sound GREAT again!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm always baffled why a low calorie diet is somehow considered a failure if it is easy. People only consider it a success if you had to struggle with hunger. So if you can eat potatoes until you're blue in the face but only squeeze in 1000 calories, that sounds like a success to me. Well, as far as a weight loss hack anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree SB.

Back in 2008 I did Lyle's PSMF diet and almost killed people, then myself.

That thing SUCKED ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

It worked, but it was NOT as easy as this.

I swear this feels as though someone has just flipped a switch as if to say "yeah, you're not THAT
    hungry."

It really is weird.

My husband eating his steak sammich usually has me drooling. Yesterday he was eating a salami
    sandwich along with a BAG, a BIG bag of cheetos (my fave), and that did nothing.

Last night the kids were porking down some of their halloween candy (that will NEVER DIE since
    they both collected ELEVEN POUNDS EACH), and usually THAT would send me into a snickers
    eating frenzy, but just looking at them eating it I was like "um, yeah, I gotta get outta here before
    I barf". So I went for a walk around the block.

I don't understand it whatsoever, and it COULD just be because one is tired of eating the same thing
    over and over, but even then, you have to think that if your body/stomach/mind is hungry, then you're
    going to EAT whatever is there, no matter if it's the same ol' thing.

So I don't get that.

600 calories yesterday? Really? I should have been a royal bitch, lethargic, cold and just plain mean
    but I wasn't.

Maybe today? We'll see!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I'm always baffled why a low calorie diet is somehow considered a failure if it is easy. People only consider it a success if you had to struggle with hunger. So if you can eat potatoes until you're blue in the face but only squeeze in 1000 calories, that sounds like a success to me. Well, as far as a weight loss hack anyway.
    +1!
    Gods, if there was one thing, anything that i can eat and be full & happy on 1300-1500 calories a day & not crave anything else to the point of failure, I would eat it! So far I tried pure fats (coconut oil, macadamia nuts); high fat VLC (<30 g); green veggies and meats; paleo; and slow carbs. And my appetite & cravings for fruit are never curbed. Because of my blood sugar problems I am afraid to try all potatoes (and because I have an experience of eating 6 lbs of potatoes in one day, no problems).

But I think I am going to start later this week (after I finish eggs I brought to the office) and see how much I go through in one day. If my appetite keeps increasing after 2+ days & blood sugar goes wacky, I will stop. Anyone tried taking lemon juice during this diet to keep blood sugar from ups and downs?
    Last edited by Leida; 12-05-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    ...So my first attempt to procure the super secret potatoes was foiled by the keepers of the super secret potato society.
    You're getting close...

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast