Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Starch? page

VeganNightmares is offline Junior Member

What's Your Starch?

Hey everyone,

Normally I do not talk much about my (paleo) diet to people I run into. But the other day I had mentioned my diet to a vegetarian and the first thing out of their mouth was "What's your starch?". I was wondering how you all would handle this question?

All I said was that I get everything I need from meat, veggies, fruits, healthy fats, nuts and seeds. And I don't need anything more.

But what would your response be?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Your response is fine. What I say would probably depend on my relationship with the vegetarian. If they were "cool" I may just quip back "so where do you get your protein?" If someone was teetering on the edge of converting, but fearful of cutting out too much carbs you could let them know that sweet potatos and such are still paleo. If its someone a bit more knowledgeable I suppose we could discuss energy partitioning in relation to the sort of exercise we are looking at and get into all kinds of fun discussion about the need or lack thereof for any starch at all.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    my starches are fingerling potatoes and sweet potatoes. Very rarely (every couple of months) I might eat white rice.

That said, I am with Neckhammer with his protein comment.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Your answer is perfect. Or you could say that now that you take your shirts to the cleaner, you don't need starch.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    By "starch" people mean carbohydrates (silly word games)... which is found aplenty in vegetables, tubers, roots, and fruits. All perfectly Primal. No problem!

And that would be my response.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Bananas, Potatoes and Kumaras.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    So why exactly would benefit from starch have anything to do with vegertarianism?

Just curious ...
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Some of the longest lived persons on the planet eat a lot of starches... for instance the Okinawans and their sweet potatoes. They're not vegetarian... but almost.
    Last edited by JEL62; 12-03-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    Some of the longest lived persons on the planet eat a lot of starches... for instance the Okinawans and their sweet potatoes. They're not vegetarian... but almost.
    Long as its high in pig fat too....then sure Animal Pharm: Benefits of High-Saturated Fat Diets (Part V): The Traditional Okinawans

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Long as its high in pig fat too....then sure
    From what I've read the traditional Okinawan diet did include pig fat but it was a very small portion of their overall calories. I'd like to read more about this though, so please post working links for any studies that you have seen.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast