Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Starch? page 3

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree that there are inconsistencies in the actual reporting of what 'traditional' diets actually comprised and I am as perplexed as anyone with regard to what they were actually composed of... but from studying the Blue Zones it does appear likely that with regard to diet an abundance of plant foods does seem to confer benefits with regard to health and longevity. This is not at odds with the primal/paleo concept.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    I agree that there are inconsistencies in the actual reporting of what 'traditional' diets actually comprised and I am as perplexed as anyone with regard to what they were actually composed of... but from studying the Blue Zones it does appear likely that with regard to diet an abundance of plant foods does seem to confer benefits with regard to health and longevity. This is not at odds with the primal/paleo concept.
    Nah, its all good. Veggies according to Mark should be where you get the most volume of food. Its just that meat is so nutrient dense (calorie dense too) that it will be where you get your most calories.

I must admit that I've cut way back on my veggie intake due to not finding much data on previous HG societies relying on them much at all along with some other data. I am low carb still, but now when I eat anything other than meat, eggs, fish, milk...ect. I make it a sweet potato or some fruit. Heck if I eat 2-3 servings of fruit or sweet potato a day I would still fall under the 100g carb mark. I still use veggies for taste and texture, but I don't attempt to pound down several kilos a day to hit some magic number (5-11 servings or such).

All in all if your gonna go high carb, or just high plant surely the sweet potato is the best way to do it (least it seems).

That's cool.... and I'm here being primal right along with the rest of you. I just lean my diet more toward the plant end of things rather than the all-meat 'let's all be like the Inuit' trend we see all too often here. In studying the Blue Zones, it does seem that a more plant-based diet confers the most benefit.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Naw. That's crap. Most veggies (greens, roots, junk like that) are starvation and flavor foods. The majority of the nutrition you need can be found in animal parts. Plug this into your favorite nutrition calculator and adjust for CW:
    8 ounces of chicken liver
    3 duck eggs
    3 ounces of oysters
    6 ounces of beef heart
    How's that micronutrient profile looking now?! Short on anything? Only barely.

Plants? Choose fatty or colorful ones, not leafy, starchy diarrhea-generating crud! Two avocados and 15 sprouted almonds. A cup of mixed berries. And you're covered.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^lol...and here I was trying to be diplomatic.

That's all well and good, but it's also good to fly our flag high when the situation calls for it. Straight up O.G. low-carb Primal did wonders for me. Later on I added a carnivore and warrior twist, and a little carb cycling, and it's working even better!

Sure, I carb up here and there with a few apples, sometimes I even dabble in sweet potato territory - but it never lasts long. It's just for variety, I guess, and when I can tell I've been too low-carb too long. But the gut does not take well to it, so it's just a temporary kick-start sort of thing for me to eat more than around 50-75g of carbs. So, I should asterisk there, above. I DO eat some starch sometimes, but I don't think it's truly necessary - it just feels right sometimes, so I do it.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Naw. That's crap. Most veggies (greens, roots, junk like that) are starvation and flavor foods. The majority of the nutrition you need can be found in animal parts. Plug this into your favorite nutrition calculator and adjust for CW:
    8 ounces of chicken liver
    3 duck eggs
    3 ounces of oysters
    6 ounces of beef heart
    How's that micronutrient profile looking now?! Short on anything? Only barely.

Plants? Choose fatty or colorful ones, not leafy, starchy diarrhea-generating crud! Two avocados and 15 sprouted almonds. A cup of mixed berries. And you're covered.
    What, like parsnips, yams, potato etc???

Yeah. You want to defend the fort? Load me up with a plate of sweet potatoes and wait a couple of hours. I'll blast 'em away with angry brown revenge.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah. You want to defend the fort? Load me up with a plate of sweet potatoes and wait a couple of hours. I'll blast 'em away with angry brown revenge.
    That sounds more like a personal problem than a statement about longevity. I doubt anyone will argue that the Okinawans enjoy a long life, and regardless of their diet otherwise, sweet potatoes remain a large part of it. Sucks that you explode them out your ass as such, but perhaps you have a really weak system?.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Fair enough. This isn't my experience however.

But i agree about leaves. Pointless. When you say fatty or colorful ones, can you provide examples of which ones you mean?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast