Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Much Protein do YOU consume per day? page 3

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosenberry View Post
    Costco you say, yea? Do they carry quality, organic meat? My mother is a member at Sams Club and refuses to switch to Costco. I have thought about getting a membership there in the past. I think I shall do it this weekend. Should I?
    I love Costco. They are carrying more and more options of organic/hormone free and even some grass-fed options, although the grass-fed is hit and miss. They also carry Prime cut of Ribeye and Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib). Prime is restaurant quality meat with heavy marbling. In addition to the organic meat, they carry an increasing variety of organic vegetables and fruits. At one time I had both Costco and Sam's Club membership and Costco blows Sam's away for quality.

My goal for protein a day is 147 - 180. I weigh 187 lbs at 5'11" and estimate my lean body mass to be around 165.

I have a smoothie almost every morning after my workout that has 2 scoops of protein. 2 scoops of True Whey has 16g of protein and the 2 scoops of EAS (from Costco) has 27g of protein. I prefer the True Whey since it comes from Grass Fed cows and is Whey concentrate instead of Whey isolate, but it is very expensive.
    Last edited by Beef Cake; 04-15-2010 at 09:29 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Honest answer, I have no bloody idea. Alls I know is that a meal isn't complete if it doesn't have some meat and some kind of dark vegetable. I probably should consider this more since I'm weight-lifting but the last thing I want to do is chug down whey protein. My weight loss has slowed down, but my lifts are getting heavier and the mirror says I'm looking pretty good. Also, the tape indicates I'm losing inches, slowly, but surely.

Dare I say that if you eat meat, at least twice a day, you're fine? I guess that may not be enough protein for some folks. I'm pretty sure I'm under what the protein consumption should be. My weight is 156, I want to be in the mid 140s so I should be eating at least 130-140g a day by most suggestions. I'm probably at most at 100 on any given day.

Ugh, I hate tracking foods, plugging shit into a computer makes me feel like I'm a robot and not a human consuming food for hunger, sustenance and health but rather ... I don't know. I don't want to see numbers when I look at my plate, I want to see delicious food, can I get a Amen?

(for athletes with more of a purpose though, I totally understand having to meet certain minimal requirements for protein, and I do sometimes worry I don't get enough protein, but I'm not about to freak out about it, I'll just cook more meat )

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I don't know. I don't want to see numbers when I look at my plate, I want to see delicious food, can I get a Amen?
    Amen! I am slowly getting there. Habits are hard to break.

I agree. I do still sometimes say to myself "sweet, got my protein, got my carbs (veggies) got my fat, I'm set!" but while I respect the dedication of many of our posters I don't think I'll ever be like "got 60g of protein, 15g of carbs and 85g of fat!" just doesn't seem enjoyable or natural. Like I said though, if you're trying to be very specific (as I at one point was, and who knows, maybe will be again) then there's nothing wrong with this approach as long as you keep your wits about you.

I've been considering today that I may be under eating since I can't bring too much food (quantity wise) to school OR work and I'm at one or the other everyday of the week, no days off whatsoever for right now. I'm eating at most twice a day but not experiencing hunger, but like I said, I do fear I may be under eating. I just plugged in my last meal into Fitday (like I said I wouldn't just a post ago! haha) and it says it was around 800 cals. I had: turkey (I put in 6oz but that's an estimate, could be more) broccoli, about 2 cups (the problem with Fitday is that it doesn't say how much a cup is, or it most likely does but I haven't taken the time to look, I had about a handful of broccoli) 2 teaspoons of butter and 3 slices of bacon chopped up. I guess that's not too little calorie wise. It's 63g protein, 53g fat and 26g carbs. I'm most likely eating again tonight but I wish I had eaten more early since I worked out.

I'm not sure if I'm being a smart eater, I go back and forth on this issue a lot and there's a lot of conflicting information even in this forum. I typically don't eat right after a workout for at least two hours (no time, class after workout, besides I only pack one lunch so I like to eat it in the middle of my day so I'm not hungry before I head home) and I think some would heavily advice against that. My goal is to keep muscle and lose fat, ideally to BUILD stronger (not necessarily bigger) muscles and lose body fat. I had a weight loss plateau as of the last three weeks but I'm not sure if i should attribute that to my decrease in sprinting, or if maybe I wasn't getting enough calories and my body was halting or what exactly. I'd like to lose another 10lbs on the scale, and I can still pinch quite a lot of fat on my midsection and legs. Coupling all this with IF that I do almost daily (for just about 16-18hrs) I'm not sure if I should be eating more, or not IFing as much or what. Any help? This thread seems to have run it's course, new direction!

Edit: (I edit a lot...) I read on a Crossfit site once that tracking/measuring food intake for just a week or so is a great way to get some better "eyeball" estimate of how much of each macronutrient you're consuming. And that it provides a profound understanding of what you eat. It makes sense, I think I'll give it a go. I'm assuming foods are weighed prior to cooking them, right? I don't think this is a practice I would do for long, so I'll see if I can borrow a food scale for a week or two. Anybody done this before, did it help you be able to just "know" how much protein/fat/carbs you're eating just by looking at your food? Do you think it helps or just helps obsess more over food?
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Anybody done this before, did it help you be able to just "know" how much protein/fat/carbs you're eating just by looking at your food? Do you think it helps or just helps obsess more over food?
    Yes, I used FitDay and I currently use Daily Burn, but I force myself NOT to enter everything. I am very anal and it becomes more like a job tracking everything. Prior to FitDay, I used a handwritten journal for my food for a week or two at a time to "eye-ball" portion sizes. What I found worked for me and what was actually suggested in Body-for-Life, was that a good protein portion was the size of my clenched fist. Depending on the cut of meat, that was between 6-8 oz. Next came vegetables. I loaded 2 clenched fist sized portions of veggies. The remaining space on my plate, usually about half a clenched fist was some type of complex carb. Keep in mind, this was back when I still ate complex carbs with every one of my 5-6 meals. Now, I just forego the complex carbs and add more vegetables and throw on some butter or olive oil for good measure.

I don't have a problem inputting things, because I don't eat a lot of variety, the problem is that I don't have a way to measure the food so I have to borrow a scale. I would buy one, but I figure I'm not likely to use it for a long time (I'm pretty lazy, I'm amazed I've managed to cook everyday for almost three months of primal) I just want to get a better visual sense of my food intake so I know mostly that I'm not UNDER eating which is what I'm thinking lately. I don't think I could over eat if I tried lately...

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef Cake View Post
    I love Costco. They are carrying more and more options of organic/hormone free and even some grass-fed options, although the grass-fed is hit and miss. They also carry Prime cut of Ribeye and Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib). Prime is restaurant quality meat with heavy marbling. In addition to the organic meat, they carry an increasing variety of organic vegetables and fruits. At one time I had both Costco and Sam's Club membership and Costco blows Sam's away for quality.

My goal for protein a day is 147 - 180. I weigh 187 lbs at 5'11" and estimate my lean body mass to be around 165.

I have a smoothie almost every morning after my workout that has 2 scoops of protein. 2 scoops of True Whey has 16g of protein and the 2 scoops of EAS (from Costco) has 27g of protein. I prefer the True Whey since it comes from Grass Fed cows and is Whey concentrate instead of Whey isolate, but it is very expensive.
    I am very curious... where do you buy TRUE WHEY? I want some immediately. I want grass-fed whey. I will spend the extra bucks for it.

And, you have me convinced on costco. I am going to make a trip there this weekend to browse around. I will let you know if I leave with a membership.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123