Thread: Low sodium sauerkraut page

dentalgal is offline Junior Member

Low sodium sauerkraut

Shop Now
    This is different than your canned or bagged kraut, but very good!

Low Sodium (And Very Quick) Sauerkraut

Ingredients

1 green cabbage, shredded
    1 tsp caraway seeds
    5 springs of fresh dill weed, minced
    1-1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp ground mustard
    1/2 cup of apple juice (you can also use a teaspoon of concentrated apple juice and water)
    1/3 cup of water (or more if you don’t like it so tangy)

Directions

In a medium pot, add the cabbage, apple juice, vinegar, water, dill, mustard, and caraway seeds and bring
    to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
    Add a little water if the sauerkraut gets too dry. Remove from heat, let cool, and enjoy! It can keep for up to
    two weeks in an air-tight container in the fridge.
    "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."

peril is offline Senior Member
    That's not sauerkraut - its cooked cabbage. Sauerkraut is living goodness
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

High blood pressure in the family results in low sodium cooking for my mother-in-law...call it what you like!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    salt is so misunderstood. you really need to do some reading on the substance, and how it pertains to blood pressure.

We're talking about a very unhealthy person here...CHF, diabetic, HBP, former smoker, CPAP machine user, obese, non-exerciser, eats lots of processed/canned foods. I know that sodium doesn't necessarily cause HBP and that family history plays a big part, as well as obesity. Sodium causes the body to retain fluids which makes the heart work harder and less efficiently, causing high blood pressure. She is carrying about 30 extra pounds of fluids right now, so low sodium it is!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dentalgal View Post
    We're talking about a very unhealthy person here...CHF, diabetic, HBP, former smoker, CPAP machine user, obese, non-exerciser, eats lots of processed/canned foods. I know that sodium doesn't necessarily cause HBP and that family history plays a big part, as well as obesity. Sodium causes the body to retain fluids which makes the heart work harder and less efficiently, causing high blood pressure. She is carrying about 30 extra pounds of fluids right now, so low sodium it is!
    I just want to say "Thanks for posting!" ... I'm going to give this a shot.
    I haven't had anything remotely 'krauty' in ages because I have a medical issues which means I also cannot consume salt...

And while I agree with the above person, salt does not necessarily cause HBP, if a person already has a medical condition then avoiding salt may indeed be necessary. And for me that is definitely the case! In fact if I consume salt I can actually feel the effect of it... no doubts. My fluid problems are in my brain, another area not to be messed about with.
    I'm very well read on my medical condition and what things affect it. Including sodium. And CHF/HBP and sodium as well as I help tend to my father-in-law who is a similar boat as your family member. If he consumes excess salt he swells like a tick and it takes days to rid him of the edema... it's awful...

For normal healthy folks it's a different story.
    I wish I could have the real fermented 'kraut' too... but that's not happening right now.
    We do what we can.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Sauerkraut is fermented and full of good little bacteria. This recipe just looks like vinegar pickled cabbage. Certainly not sauerkraut! But probably tastes good....

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    salt is so misunderstood. you really need to do some reading on the substance, and how it pertains to blood pressure.
    Well, some of us don't need reading, but listening to their stomachs. But reading, of course, is good.
    This what I read yesterday: "Excess dietary salt, on the other hand, promotes stomach cancer" (Velasquez-Manoff, An Epidemic, p. 159).
    Again, reading is, of course, good, but intelligence is even better.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It is possible to make real low sodium sauerkraut. I haven't, because, well, I don't want to, but you can.

The trick, as I understand it, is to start with a strong initial bacteria colony (because you don't have the natural preservative effect of the salt protecting the cabbage at the start, so need to speed things up). This is usually done either with whey extracted from yogurt, or with starter liquid from a previous lacto-fermented food batch. You may also need to add other liquid because you don't have salt extracting it from the vegetable matter being pickled.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out. I would probably make a batch of tsukemono, then use the liquid from that to kick start the 'kraut.