Thread: Chemical-free yoga mat? page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Chemical-free yoga mat?

Primal Fuel
    For those of you who buy your own, what brand do you buy? If I do a simple search on amazon, it costs $50, and I'm not willing to shell out that much money toward something that I don't do too regularly. All the cheaper ones I've found in stores come with a horrible chemical smell and a hazard warning label.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple of eco mats on the market, most of them are going to cost between $50-100.

The eco yoga mat from the UK is about $80 and is made of jute and natural rubber; the manduka mat (which runs between $70-90) eko designs are natural rubber with a biodegradable polymer; and there are several others on the market.

there's a new australian one that I'm looking for now (love yoga mat, maybe?).

Reall,y though, I practice without one. I have for years. I didn't have one until I started going to a studio, and often I would use the rentals anyway. At the end of the day, it's mostly there to demarcate your space, rather than being anything that you need specifically.

I prefer to practice straight on the floor (hardwood being my preference), but. . . yeah.

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    At the end of the day, it's mostly there to demarcate your space, rather than being anything that you need specifically.

That's about it.

How do you do yoga on hardwood? It's so slippery for me!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it is mostly in how you place your hands/feet and how you press into certain points that "lock you" into place. When I started practicing in a studio, it was an iyengar studio, and we didn't have mats. It was hardwood floors! So, you learn.

So. . . you can learn.

Okay! Thanks for your input

I tried to do a simple series of yoga stretches this morning on my hardwood floor, and it went pretty well, for the most part. Something to get used to, I guess.

imagemats is offline Junior Member
    $50 us way too expensive for a yoga mat. I have an article before on how to get rid of the smell of the foam for brand new mats. I think you can google it to find the answer.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    LOL - this reminds me of a story my Indian yoga teacher told me. He learnt yoga without a mat, and by the 70's he had still never used one. He visited America and was asked to demonstrate some poses at a convention. His hosts, of course, gave him a mat.

My teacher was too embarrassed not to accept it, so ascended to the podium to do his yoga demonstration in front of an auditorium of 100 people, instantly slipped on the mat, and fell on his face.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat