Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study Munchies... what gives? page

Sandamel is offline Member

Study Munchies... what gives?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there! I'm pretty new to this world of Primal eating, and I'm loving it so far.

Most days I'm fine with 3 meals per day (or fewer) with occasional fasting days (not regimented). This goes for work days (10 hour work day, desk job) and weekends that are much less structured.

So the eating thing is going really well for me EXCEPT when I'm studying. It's so odd! After an hour or so of hitting the books, all I want is to snack on things. I'm not jonesing meal food, but for finger food - doesn't matter if it's salty or sweet. I guess it's not really a "hungry" thing but what the heck is it? And how do I deal with it? Because I haven't been studying very much lately but I have to buckle down in preparation for January mid-terms (yes, I'm on a very odd school schedule!)

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with my study munchies?

Thanks in advance!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandamel View Post
    Hi there! I'm pretty new to this world of Primal eating, and I'm loving it so far.

Most days I'm fine with 3 meals per day (or fewer) with occasional fasting days (not regimented). This goes for work days (10 hour work day, desk job) and weekends that are much less structured.

So the eating thing is going really well for me EXCEPT when I'm studying. It's so odd! After an hour or so of hitting the books, all I want is to snack on things. I'm not jonesing meal food, but for finger food - doesn't matter if it's salty or sweet. I guess it's not really a "hungry" thing but what the heck is it? And how do I deal with it? Because I haven't been studying very much lately but I have to buckle down in preparation for January mid-terms (yes, I'm on a very odd school schedule!)

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with my study munchies?

Thanks in advance!
    Do you recall if this type of snacking was a habit before swapping to Primal?

In all likely hood it's simply an old habit that has transferred... most people get boredom munchies to some degree and that's exactly what study munchies are since you are usually covering old ground not new material or not something that you are completely enthralled with...

Try hot tea, especially herbal teas if you don't want the caffeine.
    They usually don't need any sweetener at all, come in a wide variety of flavors, taste good, are warm and comforting (good for cold weather!), and give your hands something to do do... not such a bad "new" study habit.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Boredom munchies. Study munchies. I got them too when I was a college student hitting the books and cramming.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Boredom munchies. Study munchies. I got them too when I was a college student hitting the books and cramming.
    This plus an element of avoiding-the-studying by munching instead. What Cori said too. Keep your hands busy with a cup of tea.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Just find 'good' foods to munch on?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sandamel is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I will try the tea. Yes it's an old habit from pre-primal days... I was just hoping it would go away on its own with this new way of eating I have been keeping my munchies Primal but grazing in and of itself just doesn't seem to be Primal so I want to stop. That, and I'd love to lose a little fat so even if the snack foods are compliant they're still extra, unnecessary calories.

Hot tea it will be!

Paleobird Guest
    Veggie sticks like celery, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. might scratch the munchie itch.

sunsis is offline Member
    I used to get this pretty bad at uni. I actually found that when I packed up my books and left the house and went to the library to do my notes and study i didnt feel like i needed to snack anymore.

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    today i did a 2,5hr study session and had a mug of coffee&cream when munchies hit me. got me through it! and since it had some fat in it, had less dinner than what i had in my plate!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I was like this, whenever studying or working at the computer.

When I tried IF, I found the urge to munch gone after some days. It was a tough adjustment at first though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast