Thread: Mother has Weird Reaction To Creatine Mono, What's Going On? page

LeJ
    LeJ is offline Junior Member

Mother has Weird Reaction To Creatine Mono, What's Going On?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My mother is 56, I recommended her to supplement with creatine monohydrate. As it is supposed to boost mental performance.

She buys the brand NOW Foods Creatine Powder

She takes 1 teaspoon and her blood pressure rises to 150, she gets a head ache and feels physically exhausted and extremely stressed. She also had symptoms of nauseousness and being hyper-active. My sister reported that my mom looked totally rattled. My mom couldn't leave the house and go to the supermarket. The effects lasted for 12 hours.

Then she takes half a teaspoon and the effects are the same but half as strong, still high blood pressure at 150 with a racing heart.

She was informed about creatine and expected to have no side effects whatsoever!

What is going on?

My mother doesn't have any illness. She's been battling with gaining weight most of her life and with fatigue and being overworked. But lately she has been able to gain weight, been more relaxed.

Any idea what could have happened? I'm really curious as well as I want to help her out. I haven't hear of this side effect to creatine.

Thanks for any input!

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like the manufacturer got their product mixed up with beta alanine or one of the older style pre workouts!!!! :S

P.S. never heard of creatine giving mental focus... its simply to help hydrate your muscles. Least thats what I thought

LeJ
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...f/14561278.pdf

I doubt that the products got mixed up. My sister, 21, tried a teaspoon of the same CrM and felt good and fit all day long.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... creatine is making the rounds being touted as a mental focus/clarity enhancer.
    Creatine May Boost Brain Performance

And...
    Creatine | The Health Fitness Project

And...
    10 supplements you can take today to enhance your intelligence

It's been all over the place in the news.

Also I googled "Creatine and blood pressure" and found some stuff... as usual for this type supplement mostly on a bodybuilding type forum. It seems that creatine causes the body/muscles to hold more volume of water than normal which can create high blood pressure.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=411792&page=1

http://www.ask.com/web?l=dis&o=10148...g%20high%20bp?
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

LeJ
    Thanks cori, I've found the same websites and read them. They don't really tell me much.

Could my mother have kidney or liver problems? It the adverse reaction to the creatine a sign of poor health?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like she is just one of the folks who reacts badly to it unfortunately... it seems widely know that some people get the HBP, headaches, etc. not from bad health but just from bad luck.

And if she has reacted the same 2 of 2 tries... I think it's time to call it enough IMO.

Sorry.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    these guys might be able to help you identify whats going on with your mum and are very quick to respond.

https://www.facebook.com/bulknutrients?ref=ts&fref=ts

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    One girl at CrossFit claims she gets a buzz after taking creatine... me, I notice nothing at all! (Hopefully it's doing something to help my workout though hard to tell as CrossFit WODs are all so different so I can't compare one day to the next...).