Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Aaaaah- going GREY! page 8

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    You don't happen to remember what she did, do you?
    She called it "low lights"..it was a gradual process but not once did my hair look like it was in transistion

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Ye, I have heard about that. Were you dark? I cannot imagine any sort of lights taking me out of skunk territory.

Hm. Just sprayed entire bottle of colored powder spray on hair to cover up grey as going to a do...well well.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I've recently been considering dying my hair - havig it professionally done rather, which will require a costly maintenance.

I do feel like the white hair is aging me. I feel bad enough about being overweight, still having acne at 29, wearing trifocals (seriously) and I'm 5 years older than my boyfriend as it is - do I really need to keep this "unique" hair and look much older than I am?

I am blessed with plush oily skin so I don't have any wrinkles to speak of, my face itself is youthful and if I follow my nana, it will remain so. The hair though... the shocking white middle of the head. Ugh.

I had a frank talk with my cousin and said look... tell me the truth. It has been 10 months since I quit dying my hair. Is this aging me? Might people perceive me as older than I am? And she said, to be blunt, sometimes it does give that impression.

So I'm considering going back to coloring. >.<

FYI, I don't use any shampoo or conditioner anymore, every now and then I scrub my scalp with baking soda and rinse with ACV but usually just rinse and massage with warm water.

That's fine of course. You have to pick your fights, and I was nowhere near admitting my greys at 29. Whatever works. ESPECIALLY the skunk stripe is not exatly flattering. More like the generous abandance of silvery hair, together with clear skin and thin-as-a-reed (still need to work on those, too, sigh).

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Yeah - there was no way I was going to accept my grey at 29 - totally different in my mid-40s.

I am working on being one of those sophisticated, slim middle aged women, rather than the dowdy middle aged "let myself go" ones... I think weight has a much bigger affect on aging, than grey hair.

I think you have to go with foils in a lighter colour than your natural one to blend the skunk stripe in. My hair looked terrible when I put a block colour through it myself - the re-growth was so obvious.

This website really helped me through the decision making process to go natural, and the growing out period. There are some seriously attractive women in the 20s, 30s, 40s and older, going grey...

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/
    Last edited by Rueben; 12-11-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Wished that book would be about 20$ less....

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    I'm 25, and have begun to see very tiny (perhaps a centimeter long) gray hairs sprouting on my head about one or two at a time. When I find them, I hunt and destroy them with my seeker missile of tweezers. My sister does the same, and we pull out each other's white hairs like monkeys. I realize that if I keep it up, when I'm older I'll be bald from obsessively pulling out all those hairs!

Haha, I think we all have gone through that phase. That was fun in a destructive-obsessive sort of way.

Anyways. Was just thinking that my self-coloring job was actually quite good for growing out, as absolutely all soi-disant permanent color seems to be gone. So no color block like I see with some of the irregular salon-visitors here.

Also washed all that colored powder out again teh same night as now it just looks fake. In fact, everybody with full-on dark color after the age of thirty looks suddenly fake to me. Like Blair Waldorf in Gossip Girl yesterday.
    Last edited by Comma; 12-12-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: magical mystery edit!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I smacked my partner's hand away the first time he tried to pull out one of my greys. I earned that hair, dammit!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ConnieSB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Ye, I have heard about that. Were you dark? I cannot imagine any sort of lights taking me out of skunk territory.

Hm. Just sprayed entire bottle of colored powder spray on hair to cover up grey as going to a do...well well.
    Yes, dark with carmel colored highlights, and a few reddish highlights (hair was dark brown with reddish tint) and I kept it short too thru the transition. Each touch up was a wee bit lighter than the previous one and more "grey" in color. Keeping hair short thru this period really made a difference IMO.

I agree with what someome else said, being over weight and wearing frumpy clothes is more aging than grey hair. Lets face it, a flat tummy and fit, firm body gets our attention no matter what a persons age is! I do firmly believe that HEALTHY hair is key too when going grey. If hair isn't healthy, grey makes it look even worse IMO. I have very coarse, thick, curly hair and it can be a challenge to keep it under control but it does look very healthy which I think is a big plus. We all know healthy skin and hair looks good no matter what age we are....I did have to revamp my wardrobe when going grey, being over weight I didn't realize how "frumpy" I looked until my grey was fully unveiled. Ditched the frumppy clothes (hard to do, cuz I thought I was "hiding" some of the fat rolls) and look/feel much better without the frump, now if I could just lose these 40 exta pounds...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast