Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaaaah- going GREY! page 7

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think - depending on how you look otherwise - that it necessarily adds age, but I do think it changes 'approachability'. One is obviously not some college babe anymore, but formed character with some strength etc. Always intimidating to men. And I want that! But it's scary too as new phase in life.

And also: My MIL is something like 120 years old and still has long 'blonde' hair- which looks horribly dead and scary especially when she looses it all over the place. My own mom is gray. At some point, age just doesn't matter, but grace does.

And oh, have I talked with DH over hte last 20 years. Ever have been rejected on a regular basis? By now it is too loaded a topic and we are all happier pretending it doesn't happen. I can always take affirmative action and leave when the kids are okay. *sigh* Otherwise he can be quite nice and smart and all that, which counts too in my book.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I don't get carded with my pink hair, but always do when my hair is natural.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Haha, well I wasn't talking about pink vs whatever. I wouldn't card pink either. I'm talking about your natural vs gray hair. I've got a friend in her 30s who went grey and NOBODYwould think she's older than that. I think.

ConnieSB is offline Member
    I quit coloring my hair in my late 40s' (now 52) and have not regretted it. I've also let it grow long (just below shoulder blades) During the transition I had a wonderful hair stylist/colorist, I didn't want the skunk look of gray roots showing until all the color was gone. I get a lot of compliments on my hair. It looks frosted. At first each time I looked in the mirror (once the dyed color was gone) it was weird seeing the gray, I didn't recognize myself. I have found that the older I get, the less I care what others think about me or my looks. As long as I"m happy with my hair, thats all that matters. Hubby doesn't care one way or the other about color. I cannot fathom keeping my hair a certain way for a man. He does prefer it short, but I like it long...so guess what, it stays long until I get tired of it

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I've sort of gone no poo. I use a cleanser(all natural, no sulfates or any bad stuff) for curly hair once or twice a week and I use a co-wash(conditioner) on it. My hair is a lot softer using it and I've noticed my all over color is a lot lighter and the greys are snow white. All new growth is white. I've decide that I'm not going to color my hair for awhile and see how it goes.
    Georgette

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    That might not only be about the hair. What's the average age of a mother in the community where you now live as compared to where you were before? There are very different ideas of how old a mom is in different places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    I think folks down south and in the mid west tend to have their kids earlier. Most of the people in my area seem to have their kids a bit later. We all seem to be in our 30-40's.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    A lot of my friends in the south are 35-40 and have children aged between 14-18. By the time they are 45, they will likely have grandchildren.

Whereas, where I lived in PA, the average 30-35 yr old had under-10 year olds. So, they won't be grandparents for a good 20 more years (likely), meaning in their 60s.

So, I agree with Owly on this one.
    I think you all are right - I just haven't thought of it that way. Mine happened at 29, 31, 33, and 35 (I married at 26). Thanks for bringing this up - I simply thought the folks out here, much as I am enjoying living here, were just idiots in that regard.

Wished I had a good colorist, or any hair stylist, for that matter. But I'm terrified of them. I have horrible hippie hair and you do have to know what you are doing cutting it. Most don't, cut it like normal hair that just hangs down, and I end up with the pyramid/Cleopatra look. The best hair dresser I ever had was a young turkish whippersnapper in Germany...I guess I have turkish sort of hair. Coarse and thick with an ill-defined curl to it. Combine with two kids under 6 and you got yourself some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I've sort of gone no poo. I use a cleanser(all natural, no sulfates or any bad stuff) for curly hair once or twice a week and I use a co-wash(conditioner) on it. My hair is a lot softer using it and I've noticed my all over color is a lot lighter and the greys are snow white. All new growth is white. I've decide that I'm not going to color my hair for awhile and see how it goes.
    Yaaaay! White RULES!

You don't happen to remember what she did, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieSB View Post
    I quit coloring my hair in my late 40s' (now 52) and have not regretted it. I've also let it grow long (just below shoulder blades) During the transition I had a wonderful hair stylist/colorist, I didn't want the skunk look of gray roots showing until all the color was gone. I get a lot of compliments on my hair. It looks frosted. At first each time I looked in the mirror (once the dyed color was gone) it was weird seeing the gray, I didn't recognize myself. I have found that the older I get, the less I care what others think about me or my looks. As long as I"m happy with my hair, thats all that matters. Hubby doesn't care one way or the other about color. I cannot fathom keeping my hair a certain way for a man. He does prefer it short, but I like it long...so guess what, it stays long until I get tired of it

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Yaaaay! White RULES!
    Not sure how I feel about the white, but it is kind of pretty. I'm only 36 but I have such a babyface that I'm hoping it doesn't age me too horribly at all. My eyebrows are white and so are my eyelashes. The only lines I have are the parentheses lines around my mouth. The longest layer is about an inch from touching my bra strap(longest its been in 31 years btw). The underneath layers are loose, barely wavy and the curls get tighter the shorter the layer.
    Georgette

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast