Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaaaah- going GREY! page 5

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been going gray since I was 12 (I'm 29 now) and dyed it ever since then. March of this year, I finally decided I'd had enough and stopped dying it. The The hair at the front middle of my head is pure shocking silverwhite and I get comments on it all the time. Silver is threaded through the rest of my hair as well.

My hair and eyebrows are pure solid black, outside of the silver parts so it is definitely a high contrast look. I'm considering going to a stylist to see if they can use highlights to pull the silver out through the length of my hair so I can lose the line of demarcation from when I stopped dying without cutting it off and losing my pretty length.

Being unique is fun sometimes, others not so much - high flash cameras sometimes make me look bald in front because the hair is so white and silver it's almost translucent and in high flash shining off that and scalp it just isn't flattering lol.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my mother just went grey -- she was always blond. It muddied in her 30s, and it's gone really cool silvery shades since then. she's 59 or 60 now.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    qqemokitty, My mom's hair started going white in the same place as yours. It looks awesome. She dyed the rest for a while and just kept that streak of white, now she's letting it all go. I will probably follow in her steps since we are physically very similar (slim at the same ages, same hair type, similar body structure), but I want to use that streak to my advantage and dye it fun colors.

I'm only 24 so I've probably got at least 15 more years before anything starts changing. I wonder if I'll still be dyeing my hair by then.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I would love to be able to dye my hair pretty fun colors but my work doesn't allow unnatural hair colors. :*(

Comma is offline Senior Member
    So today I washed my hair and let it fall down- usually I put it up. Here I'ven all paranoid over my gray roots for YEARS (sheesh- since I was 26?) and now I'm just totally in love with it. Then saw myself in window and thought I looked horrible, but I think that was just my dumb hippie hair getting all fluffy on me as it dried more.

I think I really like the gray. Looks frosted over!

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    First three grays at 16, salt and pepper at 26, almost totally white at 30 except for the little darkness at the nape, now I am 45. It is familial with me. I have white hair, not gray or silver. I colored blond for a little while while the transition was at its fastest, but the color tore up my scalp (I bled from the scalp no matter what my salon lady did), and it was planned to be temporary anyway while I figured out my new skin-hair tone thing.

Now this is my little activist thing, not to color at all. Why shouldn't white or gray be an acceptable hair color on any head it comes in on??

Mine is trimmed in a cute style, and clean and healthy, and that should be good enough for anybody. For you gals who have men who want you to color, I just don't understand you or them if you do color long term. So many of us have this, it borders on absurd to have all of us hide this.
    I totally agree with you. I am quite militant about changing society's attitude 're women with grey hair. Why should it only be men who look 'distinguished"

I am a 46 year old woman who started going grey at 18. I have been dying my hair since 20. I was dark brown naturally but as I got older I had to go blonde because of the skunk stripe regrowth.

I decided to go natural at the start of this year. Every time I mentioned I was thinking about it my girlfriends would tell me I was letting myself go. I decided this was my life and I needed to be authentic me.

So I cut it all off into a kick arse pixie cut and grew the blonde out. I am white the front half of my head and salt and pepper at the back. I didn't like the back so I am lightening up the back to match the front!

I was out at a workshop tonight and there were two really attractive women in front of me with beautiful grey hair.. I like to think I am a trend setter, especially now my cut is really funky. Asymmetrical fringe, tousled and rad!

Anyone who is dying their hair because someone doesn't want you to be grey I would say that its you that might end up with cancer from the chemicas not them. Don't be one of those older ladies who obviously dye their hair when Grey's should be visible. It just looks so fake!

Grey is just another colour choice, not a label. Last time I got a haircut a 70 yr old woman sat down next to me. Very well made up with dyed blonde hair. She immediately joined in our conversation was amazed I was proud of my hair colour and I could see the cogs working in her brain... my hair looked way better than hers because of the shine (lol just saying)

Embrace it and enjoy the compliments you WILL get.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I also color my hair to add thickness to it. I lost almost 3/4 of my hair about 9 years ago due to hormonal changes in my body. I basically do a no poo routine with a cleanser and conditioner(no sulfates or parabens in either). I'm back up to 75% of the hair I had before. I will probably be one of those women who will always have to color my hair just to have some thickness to it. If I had the money, I would have a transplant done just to try to make up for the rest of the loss. Its no one else telling me to color my hair, its just what I've found in my research and observations.
    Georgette

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    Amla powder adds thickness and texture with no color and it seems to make my hair softer and not shed as much, I also really like the smell of it, very organic with a hint of maybe earthiness? I get it at the Indian Grocer. I'm planning on trying Henna and Indigo next

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelmar View Post
    Amla powder adds thickness and texture with no color and it seems to make my hair softer and not shed as much, I also really like the smell of it, very organic with a hint of maybe earthiness? I get it at the Indian Grocer. I'm planning on trying Henna and Indigo next
    I can't go into stores like that without getting ill. I've an adversion to Indian food smells all my life. I technically have male pattern baldness so I don't like to put any powders on my head whatsoever
    Georgette

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This has nothing to do with anything, but I discovered last year at an indoor glow-in-the-dark putt-putt golf course that my white hair GLOWS under blacklight!

My kids thought it was absolutely hysterical. I did too.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast