Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books - What to Read? Need more input! page 3

huebnerc is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Metabolic Typing by William Wilcott and Food is your Best Medicine by Bieler are pretty good....although I could never eat like Bieler advises. Marketing Nutrition was a very interesting read by Wansink and Food Politics was as very good as well.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    im not sure if anyone has listed this one yet:

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival.

Excellent read, but very intense because there is alot of science and biochemistry involved.

edit: i hope the link worked for the title. you can read tidbits on googlebooks.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Great lists so far.

I could add Eat Fat, Lose Fat By Mary Enig, Natural Health and Weight Loss by Barry Groves, The Coconut Oil Miracle by Barry Fife, Restoring Your Digestive Health by Joseph Brasco, Makers Diet by Jordan Rubin to name a few.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Great thread! I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday and would have loved to have found this while I was there - I was actually here on the site via my iPhone trying to hunt one down just like this! A day late and a dollar short, but I can always go back! I did, however, get Mark's book, so it was worth the trip!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nutrition books I have read are Good Calories Bad Calories (good, obviously), The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Wolcott (I don't recommend it, not that I have much against metabolic typing as it is practiced today but the original book was a little nutters), and obviously The Primal Blueprint. I'll read Robb Wolf's new book, that has got to be good, and if Loren Cordain ever does a second paleo diet book that is less crappy, I will read it too.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    It's a bit tangental but I really enjoyed Born to Run for a lot of the information about barefoot running. The nutritional info in the book is nonsense, and the distance running stuff only served to make me think that ultra runners really are crazy, but I found it generally quite inspiring. I literally wanted to kick off my shoes and get outside and run the entire time I was reading it. Of course, I want to sprint, not run 100 miles. And I think the author inadvertently proves the point that distance running isn't the route to weight loss, good health or sanity! I'd like to send him a copy of PB! Lots of info about the biomechanics of running, why shoes are bad, and of course, great, great characters.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    I get a lot of ideas for books to read from Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb podcast (on ITunes). He's had so many great experts including Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, the Drs. Eades, various people from the Weston Price foundation. His guests are mostly but not always low carb advocates, and include many paleo/primal sources.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I've got a lot of books on my waiting list!!! Just added a few thanks to this thread.

One book that really opened my eyes was "Trick and treat: how healthy eating is making us ill" by Barry Groves. It's a long book but has a lot of info and references.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

hilltowner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
    I get a lot of ideas for books to read from Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb podcast (on ITunes). He's had so many great experts including Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, the Drs. Eades, various people from the Weston Price foundation. His guests are mostly but not always low carb advocates, and include many paleo/primal sources.

Isn't it odd how with so many great experts (as you put it) he can't quite "get it"?

I admit that his finally giving up the diet soda (which he heard for YEARS) is a step but I still feel like he still wants to get away with as much as he can.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I got the original Protein Power book and am in the middle of it. My synopsis is that it should be taken with a skeptical attitude, as always, but it really does supply a ton of great information. Hats off the the Eades's.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast