Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books - What to Read? Need more input! page 2

strom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes book. He recommends a low carb diet, and is a 74 year old Type 1 Diabetic. Most don't live that long.

Geoff is offline Member
    Since you asked for recommendations of books on "well being," let me suggest Dan John's "Never Let Go." It's a collection of Coach John's essays about, as he calls it, "Lifting, Living, and Learning." It was a tremendously transformational and uplifting read for me because he really encourages us to adopt a more playful and Primal attitude toward fitness efforts.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Re: (psychological) well-being, this book is a must read. Can't recommend it enough: "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty" by Harry Browne
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Jedi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    Re: (psychological) well-being, this book is a must read. Can't recommend it enough: "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty" by Harry Browne
    SS that does look awesome but gee it is a lot of money for a book!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    I heard there might be a PDF download link. PM me if you're interested
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I read Cordain's book, and he totally lost me when he said you should eat skinless chicken breasts and throw out the rest of the chicken. WTF?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Jeffrw is offline Junior Member
    I thought Lights Out sucked. Just my $0.02 (the writing and as a book, the theories are interesting).
    Good Calories, Bad Calories is just waaay too much, I do recommend watching the lecture Taubes gave on it (mark linked to it). Same info and it only takes an hour)

I recommend:
    The End of Overeating
    Fast Food Nation
    In Defense of Food

Convict Conditioning
    The Purposeful Primitive

Born to run

On a sidenote: Anyone heard of the book "Manthropology"? I read a NY TImes(I think it was the Times) article on it and it seemed so cool, but it's never come out in America.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Is the end of overeating anti fat?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    So I went to the library today... ONE, yes ONE low-carb book in the entire health and diet section. (An Atkins one, but not the original, just recipes and carb counting advice and such.) Local Bookshop: Ditto. On Atkins, nothing else. At all. There -is-one book called something like 'the diet and exercise myth' which was low-carb but a good 2/3 of it consisted of nothing more than testimonies for the 'system' - yuck!

Going through my Amazon wishlists to fine-tune the choices....

Oh one book I'm getting, is 'Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers' - very important, original research on stress. Sapolsky.

micki7 is offline Junior Member
    A great intro book that unfortunately is out of print is "Neanderthin" by Ray Audette. If you happen upon a copy, NAB IT! It's worth its weight in Gold! I was lucky enough to have a friend send me one just 2 weeks ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast