Thread: Question about canned salmon page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Question about canned salmon

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I'm comparing prices of canned salmon on Azon (yes, my life is exciting beyond belief), and I noticed that one company sells both skinless/boneless in BPA-free cans, and traditional style in standard cans.

So, here's my conundrum. On the one hand, I'm thinking the traditional product is more nutritious with the little, easily chewable bones. On the other hand, BPA seems to suck.

So, are the bones better than the BPA is detrimental?

The reason I'm even looking into canned is that to get salmon at a price that is palatable, I have to buy it in 20 pound lots and I'm a one, occasionally two person household. 20 pounds takes up a lot of room in my freezer.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a knowledgeable opinion about the BPA in the cans but I've just got to ask, if it's canned, why do you freeze it? I have canned salmon that has a use by date of 2017. Is what you're buying about to go obsolete?

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Nonono, she freezes the non-canned bulk salmon that she buys.

I don't think she is planning on freezing the tinned salmon, or buying it in 20lb portions either.

To the OP: No idea sorry. When I'm confused, I just buy the cheaper one.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Sorry if I was unclear. Yes, I'm considering canned because the 20 pounds of fresh takes up a lot of room in my freezer.

To the OP: No idea sorry. When I'm confused, I just buy the cheaper one.
    Thanks, I have time. Hopefully someone will have a very convincing argument one way or another.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    So I don't think the BPA would be a huge deal unless you are going to have a baby boy anytime soon. I'd go with the bones.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I'd honestly go with the bones. I don't think salmon is that acidic, and acid is what causes the BPA to leech.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep reading about BPAs until I stop spinning in circles.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    You know my canned salmon comes in cans that are not lined in plastic - at least it doesn't look like it.

Maybe the one that is not marked bpa free, doesn't have to say so because it's not lined to begin with.

Or else the cans I am buying are actually lined, but they don't look like it.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!