Thread: Help Me Assess, Please? page

tooround is offline Senior Member

Help Me Assess, Please?

OK, I'm old and I've been a dieter for around 30 years. My head gets pretty boggled now when I think I need to tweak something. You see, in days gone by, I would have cut calories or fats, increased cardio ... er ... something like that.
    So, if you wouldn't mind, could you toss some tweaking tips my way?

I started cutting grains in February. Had my last overt carbs (shortbread cookies) on March 8th-ish. Over the last month my stats are averaging something like
    1600 cals
    116 gms of fat (63%)
    50 gms of carbs (12%)
    94 gms of protein (24%)

seriously no grain, no sugar
    I do eat cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese and rich cream
    I eat the cleanest that I can find/afford.

5'3" ... 130 lbs. Soft through the middle and not very defined looking.

I sprint a couple of times a week on the elliptical and either slow elliptical or walk almost every day 20-45 mins.
    My job as a nurse if fairly physical.
    Dumbells or a band or bodyweight ... not often enough. I used to do a four day split but now I feel kinda weak or tired or injury prone <shrug>

I lost 5 or 6 pounds immediately. I shrunk very quickly too.
    Perhaps I just need to keep going ... ya know? Now that the changes have slowed and each week isn't an exciting new discovery.
    But tweaking keeps things fresh and exciting. And I'm open for suggestions.

Sterling is offline Member
    Right of the top of my head it looks like your calories are a bit high for fat loss. I'd also make your protein higher - about 1.3 grams/lb body weight -- that will help with satiety among other things.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Right of the top of my head it looks like your calories are a bit high for fat loss. I'd also make your protein higher - about 1.3 grams/lb body weight -- that will help with satiety among other things.
    The 1.3 g of protein per lb of body weight is a great figure. For athletes and body builders. IMHO, is simply too high for the average woman, especially if she's a lifelong dieter.

But I do agree that the calories are too high. You will maintain your weight at 1600 calories (assuming you're getting an hour of moderate exercise a day). Your calorie deficit isn't high enough.

I'd say your ratios look good - you just need to decrease your intake.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I strongly recommend against adding in protein: your ratios look great! I think your calories are okay. Maybe aim for 1500-1600 (and just stop eating when you are satisfied... don't go hungry) but do more heavy (heavy!) lifting workouts. Get rid of nuts and cheese (I think the cream is probably fine). Be patient. Take measurements of your waist or "problem area" instead of using the scale too often.
    I dieted down way below my set weight a few years ago and now my metabolism sucks! I even tried zero carb for a while and even though I was only eating 120 grams of protein/day I gained almost 10 pounds. Now I eat as high of fat as possible, added in some carbs (50g/day) and in a good week I can loose up to 4 pounds (now if I can only keep my weekends PB friendly!).

Sterling is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    The 1.3 g of protein per lb of body weight is a great figure. For athletes and body builders. IMHO, is simply too high for the average woman, especially if she's a lifelong dieter.

But I do agree that the calories are too high. You will maintain your weight at 1600 calories (assuming you're getting an hour of moderate exercise a day). Your calorie deficit isn't high enough.

I'd say your ratios look good - you just need to decrease your intake.
    Are you stalking me?

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Ha! You figured me out! I was feeling a little iron deficient so I figured I'd just follow you around for a bit.

Thanks folks, you've given me lots to work with!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    tooround,

I'm 5-9, 150 lbs...and 51 years old. I've been Primal since August 2009.
    If I eat 100% PB, I can eat as much as I want, and never gain weight (which is a relief, to be sure).

But...I really want to lose another 10 pounds of chubble around the midsection and thighs before summer, and my metabolism is still apparently trashed from years of CW dieting, so I have initiated "Operation Muffin Top".

No more dairy. No more salty preserved meats. No more sketchy fats from commercial salad dressing. All I want of meat, eggs, green leafies and good fats, and that's all. It's working great; the last three days I have never topped 1,300 calories. I feel really good again, so apparently I had been playing a little too fast and loose with the PB guidelines...and I seem to have broken my plateau.

I'm not sayin you need boot camp, but it's sure helping me. I really want to hit the beach this year ;-)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    But...I really want to lose another 10 pounds of chubble around the midsection and thighs before summer, and my metabolism is still apparently trashed from years of CW dieting, so I have initiated "Operation Muffin Top".

No more dairy. No more salty preserved meats. No more sketchy fats from commercial salad dressing. All I want of meat, eggs, green leafies and good fats, and that's all.
    Love it. This is almost exactly how I eat. No fruit, no nuts, no juices. Almost everything that I chew has a purpose so to speak. It's actually super enjoyable and allows me to make smart food choices every time. The key to this though is that you MUST like it (like the foods) or it'll feel like you're psychologically restricting yourself (even though your body should respond positively)

Operation muffin top!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Operation Muffin Top" ... love it!
    I also understand 10 pounds of chubble! LOL!

I guess it's time to clean up my food a little more.