Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: How do those "finishers" work for you? page

  1. #1
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,211

    How do those "finishers" work for you?

    Someone suggested I do these "finisher" things after lifting weights. 5-7 minutes of some high intensity stuff. I have no idea if I do it right (are you supposed to rest, because I just blast through the whole thing without rest). I have no idea if it "works" or what exactly it's supposed to do. Supposedly it "turns on" my metabolism. I don't feel any more turned on and if anything I feel a little "turned off" because instead of feeling energized I feel spent. So anyway, if you do finishers, how do you do them? What things do you do during them? Have they "worked" and what have they done for you?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  2. #2
    Coach Palfrey's Avatar
    Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,140
    Finishers are, for the most part, arbitrary add-ons to sessions that trainers employ to make their clients feel like they've gotten their monies worth. High intensity exercise is great, but ending each session with a finisher is just plain dumb.

  3. #3
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,964
    I don't do them. I think the theory is that you are supposed to wear yourself out or go to failure every workout, but that's not sustainable. Every Monday I go for a long run with some other people, and they all feel compelled to sprint the last 200 yards, after 30-40 minutes of running. If you're going for an aerobic workout, why add the anaerobic?

    If you are trying to stress your muscles so they can rebuild and get stronger, going to failure or exhaustion is going to require more resources for your body to recover. If you are taking enough rest time and giving your body enough food, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I guess I don't see the point. If you are trying for strength, why add the endurance work? That last bit to failure just makes it hurt more later; I'm not convinced it helps make you stronger. Trying to have multiple goals in a workout doesn't seem all that effective for what I'm doing.

    If you really want to go to failure, I'd spend a bit of time reading Body By Science. Their whole program is based off of this, combined with adequate recovery time. I have no desire to do this program, but I learned a lot about recovery from it.

  4. #4
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Finishers are, for the most part, arbitrary add-ons to sessions that trainers employ to make their clients feel like they've gotten their monies worth. High intensity exercise is great, but ending each session with a finisher is just plain dumb.
    Why is it dumb? I did not pay for the advice by the way. Do finishers cause harm?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  5. #5
    Kingofturtles's Avatar
    Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    301
    I assume he thinks its dumb because he doesnt do it.

    I dont do it either, but I dont see anything dumb or wrong about it. HIT does rev up your metabolism.

  6. #6
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why is it dumb? I did not pay for the advice by the way. Do finishers cause harm?
    Dumb or not, think about what you are trying to accomplish, then see if they actually help you towards your goals. If they aren't helping, why bother? If the best you get is, "well, it doesn't hurt," then why bother? Do the things that are important for your goals, and you can't have all the goals at once.

    I would say that you should look very specifically about what your goals are, and see if those "finisher" exercises are actually going to improve your progress in a noticeable way. If I recall correctly, you're a beginning lifter, so there's probably not much that is going to help you beyond the standard big compound lifts, unless you have very specific goals for your sport skills, or doing a certain number of pullups or something.

    If you are doing strength training, do strength training. If you are doing intervals, do intervals. If you are doing endurance work, do endurance work.

    The concept of "finisher" exercises sounds like bodybuilder bro-science. If it's not, I'd love to see something that explains how it helps. Even if it does help, the question then becomes, "Does it help YOU?" Every beginning strength program I've seen seems to recommend sticking with the big lifts, and adding a few extras only if you can recover properly AND it helps with some other goal.

  7. #7
    Kingofturtles's Avatar
    Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you are doing strength training, do strength training. If you are doing intervals, do intervals. If you are doing endurance work, do endurance work.

    l.
    I disagree. You can do all at one if you really want to, and your goal is is to be an all around monster. That's basically what crossfit is. When your done your workout and our tired, push yourself and do two last intervals. Next time you play (insert sport here) in the last two mins of the game you could be that much better. It's about pushing yourself mentally and physically. I use to finish with a 1.5 mile sprint and I almost always improved. Not only did I improve but I ran it a lot faster than most people would ever be able to run it.

  8. #8
    Coach Palfrey's Avatar
    Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why is it dumb? I did not pay for the advice by the way. Do finishers cause harm?
    Finishers are generally employed by people to literally finish off their workouts - suggesting that the quality or intensity of the actual workout wasn't sufficient. I'm certainly not against HIT but just think that everything should be used in the right context.

    Incidentally, I wasn't calling you dumb.

  9. #9
    Coach Palfrey's Avatar
    Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I assume he thinks its dumb because he doesnt do it.

    I dont do it either, but I dont see anything dumb or wrong about it. HIT does rev up your metabolism.
    A finisher and HIT are not interchangeable terms. This is a contextual issue.

  10. #10
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,470
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Someone suggested I do these "finisher" things after lifting weights. 5-7 minutes of some high intensity stuff. I have no idea if I do it right (are you supposed to rest, because I just blast through the whole thing without rest). I have no idea if it "works" or what exactly it's supposed to do. Supposedly it "turns on" my metabolism. I don't feel any more turned on and if anything I feel a little "turned off" because instead of feeling energized I feel spent. So anyway, if you do finishers, how do you do them? What things do you do during them? Have they "worked" and what have they done for you?
    I thought you were doing Starting Strength. There's no "finishers" in Starting Strength. Appropriate accessory work is addressed clearly. Why don't you stick to one program for a while and stop trying to add things and tweak every detail?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •