Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell in love with new blog page 2

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm also a big fan of Melissa's blog - found several recipes (and quickly added it to my list of favorite blogs) after ending up there repeatedly thanks to pics of delicious grub on Pinterest!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Great Blog linky!
    That ice cream looks... delicious.

The Whole 30 thing... I've looked at it before, and I just had to look at it again to remind myself what it entailed because I've never officially done it, but...

No sweetener of any kind (including stevia)- I do use a bit of stevia here and there.
    No alcohol/tobacco- check (alcohol very,very rarely... wait that means drinking it, not cooking with it right?)
    No grains- check
    No legumes- check
    No dairy- I usually get raw... but due to being in and out of town on family matters none in a month or so.
    No processed additives- check
    No white potatoes- check

Meh... other than a few drops of stevia here and there, raw milk and cream when I get it (not in the past month at least), and a glass of Prosecco at Thanksgiving... I'm not sure what I would be giving up on a daily basis that would be so life changing.

I am a foodie, but I find that I can deal with a restricted diet pretty well... I just don't do desserty things often, or fake-bake things like pancakes or muffins yet (maybe sometime in the future?).

I honestly prefer to have real cream in my coffee, occasional cheese on my burgers, and high quality dairy in general my life... but I've done months with it and without it with little/no difference re my health. So I'll keep it because it's yummy.
    I've done years (10 or so without any milk at all before I found raw, so I know how that goes).

I've done many months without consuming alcohol... when I was sick last year and the first half of this year... bugger that. I like the taste of a single drink here or there now. But one, maybe two, is my limit and then only once or twice a month.
    Asking me to go a whole month without cooking with alcohol... that's a different story. Not happening. What should I braise in Water? Sacrilege!!!

A month without a bit of stevia... hmm...I suppose it wouldn't be that hard.
    I use a drop or two in my lime water which I have to drink all day... lime juice added to water... to help prevent kidney stones due the them medications I take. I can't really taste the sweetness, it just takes the edge off the sour. But I fail to see the point of getting used to having a sour tongue all day... it's sort of a one off issue due to special circumstances.

Re: chocolate... I gave it up a few months ago. I really thought it would be rough, but it wasn't at all. Coffee (I drink espresso) works for me as a sort of mental replacement because it has a similar richness of flavor.
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    For me, the whole30 was easy.

I suppose i'm not a "foodie" in the strictest sense, though I do like food. I was already eating rather simply, so it wasn't hard to let go of things. I don't miss breads of any kind (including pancakes), so it's no big loss for me.

This past month, I actually managed to give up chocolate, which was pretty cool.
    Yeah. I've never done the whole foods 30 thing, but the only things I eat that are on the forbidden list are dark chocolate, cream and potatoes. (plus home-made lemon honey and apricot jam as a weekly treat)

We like Banana Muffins as a replacement for pancakes and havn't looked back.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I loved W30 and I love to cook. It pushed me to think of food differently and to cook differently. Hubby says my cooking has gotten better since doing the W30 (not sure why though). I plan to do another set in January.

Like the blog! Thanks for sharing I need more paleo/primal blogs to read.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No sweetener of any kind (including stevia)- I do use a bit of stevia here and there.
    No alcohol/tobacco- check (alcohol very,very rarely... wait that means drinking it, not cooking with it right?)
    No grains- check
    No legumes- check
    No dairy- I usually get raw... but due to being in and out of town on family matters none in a month or so.
    No processed additives- check
    No white potatoes- check
    Oh wow, that's it? That's almost my daily life. Of the things I do indulge in--dairy, wine and white potatoes-- it would be beyond easy to eliminate them. I could so easily go without those things as to not even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Asking me to go a whole month without cooking with alcohol... that's a different story. Not happening. What should I braise in Water? Sacrilege!!!
    I wonder if non-alcoholic wine could be used for cooking? One attempts to cook off the alcohol anyway, right? I actually think cooking with wine wouldn't really count on a whole 30 anyway. There's so little alcohol left and it's split among all the servings in the whole recipe plus it's just for flavoring. And what are they trying to get you to eliminate? The alcohol or the sulfites or both?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think some of W30 restrictions are simply frivolous. If you have previously eliminated dairy, eliminating butter & fermented makes no sense whatsoever. Embracing all tubers but white potatoes makes no sense whatsoever. That said, I did fine, but after finishing it fell into deep depression --> fruit, of course. (Sigh) Overall, yes, W30 is easy, just won't do it again because I don't see no point to reject perfectly good food. We do too much of it anyway.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Oh wow, that's it? That's almost my daily life. Of the things I do indulge in--dairy, wine and white potatoes-- it would be beyond easy to eliminate them. I could so easily go without those things as to not even notice.

I wonder if non-alcoholic wine could be used for cooking? One attempts to cook off the alcohol anyway, right? I actually think cooking with wine wouldn't really count on a whole 30 anyway. There's so little alcohol left and it's split among all the servings in the whole recipe plus it's just for flavoring. And what are they trying to get you to eliminate? The alcohol or the sulfites or both?
    I didn't read anything that made a distinction between alcohol and sulfites.
    Just no alcohol.
    Perhaps I didn't dig deeply enough.
    I've heard that a couple of the non-alcoholics are passable... I always cook with good wine/liquor when I do. Skipping the alcohol completely in the cooking process would skip the chance to let the alcohol liberate some of the flavors that water alone cannot though... yes?

I think I live close enough to the edge of this that I'm just not very interested in doing it completely... I darn near live there so I don't see a real point I guess.
    I admit I'll be glad to have the holiday season over and all my travel done with so I can start picking up my real raw dairy again.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    For me, dairy -- even raw and fermented -- upsets my stomach, except for butter which I do use. i don't see any reason not to at this point, really, since it is so minimal. So being without dairy is no trouble.

Potatoes are bad for me. one potato leads to binging, so I stick to sweet. It's just how I respond.

I don't do sweetners, other than the occasional dark chocolate, and I actually did give that up for 30 days. I figure having chocolate once a month or less is no big deal. But, I can also do without it so all good.

never did alcohol and the like, so that's easy.

The rest is pretty straight forward and easy, so.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I could do whole 30 if not for the sweetener and caffeine restriction. I need my daily coffee so badly.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i suppose i'm doing caffeine, now, actually. I've been off caffeine for about a week now. It's hasn't been hard, but I don't drink coffee -- just tea. So I switched to a different tea (peppermint, red bush).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast