Thread: From ironman to the Marathon des Sables page

ironteeth is offline Junior Member

From ironman to the Marathon des Sables

Primal Fuel
    Hi Peeps

I am having a problem working out the minimum amount of training as far as running is concerned for the Marathon des Sables. A 156 mile run in the Sahara desert over 6 days next April. I can comfortably do an 11:30 ironman on paleo principles and a 3:26 marathon.
    All the running programmes I have seen seem to require 50+ miles of running a week which I can do I do find joyless and demotivating. Once a month I pack a 40 llb pack over the mountains for 13 miles in 3 hours (with some special forces vets) and do tabata sprints 2 x week and body weight weights 2 x week as well.
    I do want to run the Mds but on the minimum amount of effective training not a whole lot of junk cardio.

Regards

Mark

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The minimum amount, volume wise, that you can get away with is only going to be validated once you actually get round the course so it's tricky to really second guess it. From my experience of others that have done it, the real problem is not cardiovascular endurance but muscular endurance and surviving the elements and mental challenge.

ironteeth is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    I hope the heavy rucksack/backpacking at speed and weight training will deal with the muscles. I have raced in the middle east before so heat isnt an issue. Would say 30 miles a week of running be a sensible distance to train but avoid overtraining?? 50-70 seems toooo OCD for me.
    Mark

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironteeth View Post
    Hi
    I hope the heavy rucksack/backpacking at speed and weight training will deal with the muscles. I have raced in the middle east before so heat isnt an issue. Would say 30 miles a week of running be a sensible distance to train but avoid overtraining?? 50-70 seems toooo OCD for me.
    Mark
    I actually think that an infrequent long run (something near the daily target for your event) with more regular high intensity stuff should see you through well.