Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: This might not be a good sign... page 2

  1. #11
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    There is no worse smell then someone deep frying inside with rancid oil.
    I disagree. Someone who passes gas after eating deep fried, processed foods in rancid oil ;O
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  2. #12
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    I disagree. Someone who passes gas after eating deep fried, processed foods in rancid oil ;O
    Thanks for the thought!

  3. #13
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes... I find the smell of most restaurants that FRY absolutely disgusting.
    I can even smell it outside them, sometimes when just driving past...
    Rancid grease smell.
    Yep, the place that used to be my favorite take out chinese eatery now just about gags me. It's inside the asian supermarket where I still shop so I have to smell it.

  4. #14
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, the place that used to be my favorite take out chinese eatery now just about gags me. It's inside the asian supermarket where I still shop so I have to smell it.
    I can tollerate small amounts of things like sushi and sashimi pretty well because they usually are just a little steamed rice and fish, but much else in Asian restaurants, ugh.

    I have a Vietnamese friend who wants to take me to Vietnam where he says aside from the gallons of rice they eat daily, you can eat pretty well since they usually use coconut oil and coconut milk and animal fats to cook with rather than the soy and canola and corn oils typical in American restaurants of the Asian persuasion.

    Sounds delightful to me actually.

  5. #15
    Bosnic's Avatar
    Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    646
    It's not that it makes you more sensitive, it just makes you less used to it. As a kid, soda was the norm. Now, just thinking of drinking Coke makes me cringe.

    If anything, primal has made be LESS sensitive to sugars, grains, etc. I assume it has to do with my gut improving.

  6. #16
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    It's not that it makes you more sensitive, it just makes you less used to it. As a kid, soda was the norm. Now, just thinking of drinking Coke makes me cringe.

    If anything, primal has made be LESS sensitive to sugars, grains, etc. I assume it has to do with my gut improving.
    The smell of rancid oils... I guess I USED to think that smelled good, but now that I know what PROPERLY cooked food is supposed to smell like, I naturally associate the rancid oil smell as "bad."

  7. #17
    KV8R's Avatar
    KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    God's country, W.VA
    Posts
    317
    I've only been primal for a year and half, but I still think most conventional foods and restaurants smell good. For me it's a conscious choice to not eat that shit. When I smell fresh popcorn or soft pretzels, or walk past a fast food joint in the mall, I like the smell, but I make the choice to keep walking because my health is more important to me than satisfying a craving. I know I can cook something better when I get home, but the temptation is still there.

  8. #18
    Bosnic's Avatar
    Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    The smell of rancid oils... I guess I USED to think that smelled good, but now that I know what PROPERLY cooked food is supposed to smell like, I naturally associate the rancid oil smell as "bad."
    I think most of it is just mental association, like you describe.

    Reading plenty of articles about over-consumption of sugars, grains, and the like... It just eventually becomes second-nature to be disgusted by some foods.

  9. #19
    oxide's Avatar
    oxide is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    MD/VA/DC
    Posts
    1,297
    The other day at work I was felt a little sick at the smell in the office. I walked over to the kitchen and it was the microwave popcorn. Funny, it didn't smell as bad close to the microwave because it smelled more like popcorn. But whatever small traveled the distance to my cubicle was a lot worse. Maybe burned fake butter?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

    MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

  10. #20
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I think most of it is just mental association, like you describe.

    Reading plenty of articles about over-consumption of sugars, grains, and the like... It just eventually becomes second-nature to be disgusted by some foods.
    I'm not so sure about that.

    While my husband has changed his diet very gradually to mostly 'Primal', following me as he has seen the positive changes in my health, he has not read the book and does not read any other articles or information... nor do I tend to discuss details of the plan, or much reasoning. I keep things simple. He asks a few questions and I tell him short answers such as "the natural fats such as humans could have accessed throughout our history are better than refined", and he needs no further explanation.

    He has also mentioned that fry smells are now offensive to him.
    Just a couple of days ago he had a fit over a product that I accidentily purchased that tasted "weird" and "not right". They were frozen ripe plantains. Usually the package I get contains only "plantains" and no other ingredients at all. But at the store I was at the same brand but a slightly different box contained "plantains, vegetable oil".
    He was very clear that he did NOT like the plantains with the vegetable oil on them even though I did't even realize it until he brought it to my attention because the boxes looked so similar. ( I had to pull the box out of the trash to see the ingredient list to appease him because he was so insistent that there was a difference.

    Once I tasted them I could feel the vegetable oil coating as well, and indeed the taste way was off from the plain plantains I usually get.

    It was not just the coating of oil throwing him off because though sometimes I cook the plain plantains without oil I just as often cook them with a light coating of coconut oil... refined CO oil on his which has no coconut taste as he does not like the coconut flavor.

    I use virgin on mine as I do like the slight coconut taste with the plantain... it's heavenly IMO.
    A great treat for me.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •