Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: face bloating, can't fix page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't think you can be "sensitive to sodium". It's an electrolyte, just like the rest of them. You can have an electrolyte imbalance though.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you try it, and it works, what better evidence do you need? You can probably still drink, just avoid grain based alcohol.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    lower pufa
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    lower pufa
    Yep, I think many underestimate its inflammatory effects. I'm wondering if dairy is an issue here as well.

The first thought I had after reading the original post was of a past post I saw containing pics which demonstrated the typical puffy face and eyes commonly seen in hypothyroid patients. Sounds like this may be more of an acute thing, but if none of the dietary changes seem to help, might be worth looking into.

OP, if nothing else, ditch the grains.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I am sensitive to lots of salt, as well. I found that if I consume the majority of my salt in the day and not much at dinner, I wake up with a FAR LESS bloated face. I also get bloated if my night carbs exceed 300g because of the glycogen causing water retention.

My face has improved significantly without grains and vegetable oil, however. That would be a good starting point.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Yep, I think many underestimate its inflammatory effects. I'm wondering if dairy is an issue here as well.

The first thought I had after reading the original post was of a past post I saw containing pics which demonstrated the typical puffy face and eyes commonly seen in hypothyroid patients. Sounds like this may be more of an acute thing, but if none of the dietary changes seem to help, might be worth looking into.

OP, if nothing else, ditch the grains.
    Dairy would be beneficial due to the calcium alone

If you think you're bloated from salt, you're just drinking too much water or something. Drink less.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

cantare is offline Senior Member
    DrN, I could have written your original post; it's something I deal with more often than I'd like. It's disturbing how dramatically a little facial bloat can change your appearance.

Best thing is to keep a food diary and try to correlate, eliminate, and re-challenge the various suspect foods. Even then, it can be a frustrating thing to nail down. Keep in mind, the cause could be multifactorial--a particular combination of triggers. It's probably also dose-dependent.

I wondered about salt, but have had very inconsistent results with it...it might be a factor, but not the key one. In my case it doesn't appear to be simple carb overload either: I recently tried the 'moar potato' thing for a week and my face was very leaned out the whole time (Potatoes are also nightshades, so I guess I'm fine with those, but many people aren't). It doesn't seem to track much with alcohol intake, but then I don't usually drink more than a glass or two of wine.

My short list includes things like soy tempeh, cashews, roasted almonds, aged/blue cheeses, yogurt and kefir...overconsumption of any of these pretty much guarantees a puffy face. The dirty words I wonder about most these days are estrogenic and histamine. I'd say gluten as well, but with the occasional exception of white rice, I don't "do" wheat or other grains period--I expect they might be triggers too, but I don't ever really test them.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Dairy would be beneficial due to the calcium alone

If you think you're bloated from salt, you're just drinking too much water or something. Drink less.
    If there's a dairy allergy or sensitivity, it would be worth it to obtain calcium from another source.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post

I wondered about salt, but have had very inconsistent results with it...it might be a factor, but not the key one. In my case it doesn't appear to be simple carb overload either: I recently tried the 'moar potato' thing for a week and my face was very leaned out the whole time (Potatoes are also nightshades, so I guess I'm fine with those, but many people aren't). It doesn't seem to track much with alcohol intake, but then I don't usually drink more than a glass or two of wine.
    I agree about keeping a food diary for a bit for reactions... this helps a lot IME!

As to the potatoes/nightshades issue... don't give them all a free pass yet maybe.

I do perfectly fine with tomatoes and peppers, but potatoes (sweet potatoes don't count here of course)mildly, and particularly eggplant are NOT my friends.
    I can't explain it. I assume that whatever compounds can make the eggplant a little bitter, unlike the other modern nightshade fruit, are what is the extra boost that makes them so reactive to me.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Good point re: testing nightshades individually. I'm all good with tomatoes, but I'll never understand the attraction of eggplant, yuk.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast