Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is doing cardio on the elliptical pointless? page 5

kap
    kap is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I love a T-Shirt I saw for sale on a Lifting website: "If Deadlifts were easy, they'd be called Ellipticals".

That being said, I sometimes jump on one after lifting.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm not sure what an elliptical is. Is it that thing with an individual platform for each foot? I see people on that thing and the movement they do with their legs is unlike anything you would do naturally so I can't see what value there is for it.
    Yoga, rowing and cycling is also unlike anything you would do naturally. The Fosbury Flop and the Iron Cross? Not natural at all and yet most people agree that track & field and gymnastics is great for developing strength, balance, coordination and so on.

Seriously, who gives a rat's ass about what we do naturally? If it works, it works.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    pointless... no.
    sucks... yes.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    pointless... no.
    sucks... yes.
    /thread

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Exactly. "Cardio" is a made up slang term. Cardio means your heart is working. Your heart doesnt know the difference between running or lifting weights, all it knows is that it needs to pump faster. Unless your specifically training for a marathon ect.. and working on specialized skills, theres no difference between different excersizes.
    Yes, the only difference is the intensity. If you walk for an hour your heart will be slightly elevated. If you jog it will be more elevated i.e. working harder. If you are doing a few very intense sets of resistance work it will be working much harder yet.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Ellips are largely known as cross-trainers in the UK.

That's because they're favoured by elite runners for cross-training.

The fact that the movement is different to any natural movement is a feature, not a bug. Especially for those who make use of the reverse-mode feature. How many runners do you see running backwards?

Ellips/cross-trainers are also beneficial for those with any kind of joint problem as long as they are wary of knackered old equipment.

There are a couple of top-of-the range machines at a gym I joined recently that have a dynamic range of motion varying from steps (feeling like jogging on the spot) to a gliding forwards (feeling like ice-skating) depending on how you use them. The overall sensation is amazing - they make me feel very buoyant - a cross between swimming and running, with no wear and tear on the joints. I can appreciate the serious amount of bioengineering that was invested in their research and development.

Had Grok been a luddite we wouldn't be here using the Grok metaphor today.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 12-05-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes use them as a warm-up for the warm-up...

I use them for a cool down.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I still have yet to find one that doesn't make me feel seasick. Give me a quick 500m or even 1000m on the rower for a warmup any day. Or even the treadmill--at least if I speed walk on there I won't feel like I'm going to hurl.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I have never heard of anyone getting seasickness from an elliptical before. I'm more sensitive than average to motion sickness but have never experienced the slightest sensation of that from an elliptical.

Rowing machines do provide a much better an all-body strength/cardio workout ... hence NASA's employment of them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast