Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is doing cardio on the elliptical pointless? page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I hear you. My tolerance has gone down over the years (for cold and many other things!) but I still love the wilds and the glory of winter.
    I love the wild spaces here too. The Rockies are incredible. However, I'd like to skip the cold bits of the year and just come home in the warmer months. Maybe someday. I think the year when I spent a large part of the winter in India and Mexico spoiled me forever. I really like being able to just put on a pair of sandals and walk out the door.

Edited to add: And now I'll stop hijacking the thread. Ellipticals make me seasick.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    The eliptical is one of the most useless things in the gym. I hate people going on that thing trying to lose fat. Mite as well go sit on the sitdown recumbant bike and go at a snails pace while you read your kindle.
    I don't know, and am far from an expert but,
    I couldn't run sprint last winter due to planteurs factitus, sore as hell heel,

I was able to sprint the elliptical though,
    set a 20 minute hill program and did 30 seconds on each "hill", then recovery on the letoff, repeat.
    this was a higher end commercial unit, but you ought to be able to set a base model to a discomfort level and sprint too.
    couple people told me they thought I was gonna tear the machine apart or lift off during the sprint
    it's how you use the tool

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilc11 View Post
    I don't know, and am far from an expert but,
    I couldn't run sprint last winter due to planteurs factitus, sore as hell heel,

I was able to sprint the elliptical though,
    set a 20 minute hill program and did 30 seconds on each "hill", then recovery on the letoff, repeat.
    this was a higher end commercial unit, but you ought to be able to set a base model to a discomfort level and sprint too.
    couple people told me they thought I was gonna tear the machine apart or lift off during the sprint
    it's how you use the tool
    And if I read the OP's subject question,,,,,
    is cardio worthless ??

If it's cardio you're after, the elip is just another tool.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I have found ellips useful for building up my gluts and quads, and maintaining an excellent level of cardiovascular fitness, while watching an intelligent TV documentary and engaging my brain at the same time. I choose not to walk in the dark after work during the winter for obvious reasons. If it's sunny at the weekend and I have the option to take a walk, that's a different matter entirely - for sure I embrace that whenever I am lucky enough to have the opportunity.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I like elliptical because it gives an ability to interval train at your own pace unlike the treadmill, and doesn't rape you in in and out like a bike. I would rather go for a walk or play than do steady state on any piece of indoor equipment though. The only exception for me is swimming (and that's what I do when it's frigging cold).
    Last edited by Leida; 12-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I like elliptical because it gives an ability to interval train at your own pace unlike the treadmill, and doesn't rape you in in and out like a bike. I would rather go for a walk or play than do steady state on any piece of indoor equipment though. The only exception for me is swimming.
    I do intervals mostly on an elliptical. It's very easy on my joints. I wouldn't touch a treadmill as they are so unnatural for the joints. I can enjoy plenty of walking, and also love swimming for low-level, relaxing cardio.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I envy you the ability to watch a good show. About 3 or 4 weeks ago our cable provider here in the city f'd up the hwole gym industry by going digital, so now we only get low channels on the individual pieces of equipment. Which limits my choices to Dr. Oz and House Hunters. Oh, well, I will be swimming more.

I envy you the ability to watch a good show. About 3 or 4 weeks ago our cable provider here in the city f'd up the hwole gym industry by going digital, so now we only get low channels on the individual pieces of equipment. Which limits my choices to Dr. Oz and House Hunters. Oh, well, I will be swimming more.
    I'll admit I am lucky to have the BBC channels as an option. Swimming is awesome tho' - I have to limit that due to sensitivity to chlorine. Go ahead and enjoy the sensation .

Thank you You gotta find a salt-water pool. They are the best. Ours is not, and it is a bummer, but I am a lucky one never had chlorine problems. The timing is though a challenge, oh, well, it is not perfect but it is as good as it gets.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I think the year when I spent a large part of the winter in India and Mexico spoiled me forever.
    I visited India in the winter. Winter? What winter? It was 91 degrees.

Watch Dr. Oz and work your abs laughing at him.

I'm not sure what an elliptical is. Is it that thing with an individual platform for each foot? I see people on that thing and the movement they do with their legs is unlike anything you would do naturally so I can't see what value there is for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast