Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Is doing cardio on the elliptical pointless? page 3

  1. #21
    Coach Palfrey's Avatar
    Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,140
    Shop Now
    I get that ellipticals (and pretty much any machine) have some value but seriously, what's the point?

  2. #22
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I get that ellipticals (and pretty much any machine) have some value but seriously, what's the point?
    +1. Several years ago, I got a rowing ergometer. Could get a great workout. Could do serious intervals and sprints. Used to totally wreck myself (in a good way) with the output. And that never ending view of the wall in front of me drove me absolutely batty. I am good for 15-20 minutes in an indoor workout and then am done. I much much prefer to be outdoors. Even today at 1F. Planning ice skating and hill sprints for this afternoon.

  3. #23
    Mr. Anthony's Avatar
    Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,243
    I'd say the only real value of one is if you can't get outside for whatever reason (weather) and are still trying to get in some low-level cardio and moving at a slow/moderate rate of speed. But that's about all I can think of.

  4. #24
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,312
    Is the weather really that bad all the time? I have walked outside in the cold, in rain, in high winds where I have been knocked around by wind. I don't live where there is snow and ice. I have walked on ice when visiting my mom and it seemed quite dangerous, but I have some Kathoola microspikes that I think would have worked fine in such non-wilderness conditions. So with a decent jacket, microspikes and a non-hazardous day weatherwise, why not just walk outside?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  5. #25
    Kingofturtles's Avatar
    Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    That line of thought is so CW. Yes it can be a tool for that. The truth is though that what is constantly referred to as "cardio" is really not. It is aerobic exercise because it is carried out at a low enough intensity to be done for long duration. High intensity exercise such as brief, very intense weight training is far more taxing to the cardio vascular system, thus a far better workout for it. Sprint type intervals are far more taxing than any steady state training, thus much more productive. The heart is a muscle like any other in this regard. Would you strengthen your muscles better moving very light weights for hours a week or much heavier weights a few times a week?

    I'm not saying that aerobic work is useless. Its good to move and be active. There are benefits. But real cardio training is training that is intense and brief in duration. Brief because you really couldn't do more.
    Exactly. "Cardio" is a made up slang term. Cardio means your heart is working. Your heart doesnt know the difference between running or lifting weights, all it knows is that it needs to pump faster. Unless your specifically training for a marathon ect.. and working on specialized skills, theres no difference between different excersizes.

  6. #26
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Is the weather really that bad all the time? I have walked outside in the cold, in rain, in high winds where I have been knocked around by wind. I don't live where there is snow and ice. I have walked on ice when visiting my mom and it seemed quite dangerous, but I have some Kathoola microspikes that I think would have worked fine in such non-wilderness conditions. So with a decent jacket, microspikes and a non-hazardous day weatherwise, why not just walk outside?
    Well, when it hits the -30 range here, I tend to avoid being outside for some crazy reason. Oh, wait, right, that whole "exposed skin freezes in seconds" thing sort of puts me off.

    However, the gym I use has an indoor walking/running track, and I'd rather use that than a machine any day. The only cardio-type machines I use are the bikes for tabata intervals or the rower for rowing sprints.

    Also, if you like to walk, I know at least here that many shopping malls open up well before the stores open so that people can mall walk. It's not the ideal (I hate malls) but it's another option for the depths of winter.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  7. #27
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Well, when it hits the -30 range here, I tend to avoid being outside for some crazy reason. Oh, wait, right, that whole "exposed skin freezes in seconds" thing sort of puts me off.
    Ll, it is really all about the clothes. I remember a week I spent in Inuvik one winter. Whenever the temp warmed to -30C, I would go out for a run.

  8. #28
    ecole66's Avatar
    ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Exactly. "Cardio" is a made up slang term. Cardio means your heart is working. Your heart doesnt know the difference between running or lifting weights, all it knows is that it needs to pump faster. Unless your specifically training for a marathon ect.. and working on specialized skills, theres no difference between different excersizes.
    Then why did you say earlier that an elliptical is worthless? Your body has no idea it is on elliptical if you work hard enough. Right?
    Just sprint your ass off until you can't go any further, rest, repeat. Doesn't matter what kind of exercise you are doing or if you are outside or inside on a machine.

  9. #29
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Ll, it is really all about the clothes. I remember a week I spent in Inuvik one winter. Whenever the temp warmed to -30C, I would go out for a run.
    I've lived here pretty much my whole life, and the older I get the more I hate the cold. I am willing to run outdoors down to about -20, but beyond that, I'm happy there's an indoor track. I have all the gear, but I still hate winter. If it wasn't for having all my friends and family and liking my community here, I'd move south in a heartbeat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  10. #30
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I've lived here pretty much my whole life, and the older I get the more I hate the cold. I am willing to run outdoors down to about -20, but beyond that, I'm happy there's an indoor track. I have all the gear, but I still hate winter. If it wasn't for having all my friends and family and liking my community here, I'd move south in a heartbeat.
    I hear you. My tolerance has gone down over the years (for cold and many other things!) but I still love the wilds and the glory of winter.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •