Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is doing cardio on the elliptical pointless? page 2

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The elliptical trainer is a great tool for improving your cardiovascular system. Yeah, I know the heart isn't as sexy as beach abs or a slim waist line, but I believe it at least deserves some attention. I mean, one in four of us can expect to die from heart disease...

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    The elliptical trainer is a great tool for improving your cardiovascular system. Yeah, I know the heart isn't as sexy as beach abs or a slim waist line, but I believe it at least deserves some attention. I mean, one in four of us can expect to die from heart disease...
    That line of thought is so CW. Yes it can be a tool for that. The truth is though that what is constantly referred to as "cardio" is really not. It is aerobic exercise because it is carried out at a low enough intensity to be done for long duration. High intensity exercise such as brief, very intense weight training is far more taxing to the cardio vascular system, thus a far better workout for it. Sprint type intervals are far more taxing than any steady state training, thus much more productive. The heart is a muscle like any other in this regard. Would you strengthen your muscles better moving very light weights for hours a week or much heavier weights a few times a week?

I'm not saying that aerobic work is useless. Its good to move and be active. There are benefits. But real cardio training is training that is intense and brief in duration. Brief because you really couldn't do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Sprint type intervals are far more taxing than any steady state training, thus much more productive. The heart is a muscle like any other in this regard. Would you strengthen your muscles better moving very light weights for hours a week or much heavier weights a few times a week?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can do high intensity interval training on elliptical trainers too?

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can do high intensity interval training on elliptical trainers too?
    Right, I guess I should state that I mix it up, I put the intensity up to 11 and the angle (if thats the right word?) up to 20, climb that for 2 minutes and then back to 7, and angle 17 for 3 minutes. This is effective interval training isnt it? With resistance doesnt that build muscle? I do yoga as well, pushups and planks but definitely could tone up a bit more. I guess I am a little intimidated by the machines at the gym

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Right, I guess I should state that I mix it up, I put the intensity up to 11 and the angle (if thats the right word?) up to 20, climb that for 2 minutes and then back to 7, and angle 17 for 3 minutes. This is effective interval training isnt it? With resistance doesnt that build muscle? I do yoga as well, pushups and planks but definitely could tone up a bit more. I guess I am a little intimidated by the machines at the gym
    It probably won't build muscle unless you're very unfit, and you probably won't lose fat either unless you're in a calorie deficit. But that doesn't mean the elliptical trainer is pointless.

Progressive resistance training, diet, consistency and patience are the tools you need to improve your body composition.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have yet to see anybody at the gym with the treadmill cranked up to a high angle actually walking the way you would if you were walking up a steep mountain. They all hang on to the front of the machine and lean back so they are effectively walking level. It's the silliest thing I've ever seen.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Of all the fixed machines at the gym I find the elipitcal one of the hardest on the joints.
    A treadmill or a spin bike would probably be better choices.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Of all the fixed machines at the gym I find the elipitcal one of the hardest on the joints.
    A treadmill or a spin bike would probably be better choices.
    Yeah, in general I agree with this. I, however, own an elliptical that I like and doesn't stress the joints. (my physical therapist like it too). It's made by Octane Fitness Octane q35e Elliptical CrossTrainer | Octane Fitness q35 Series | Fitness Superstore

The movement is more like a stepper and the elliptical movement adjusts to the person's stride length.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I think ellipticals are fine if your using them for your "move frequently at a slow pace" portion of the pyramid.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The thing that drove me away from ellipticals a long time ago was that even with the elliptical motion of the pedals, it doesn't feel right at all. I feel like doing too much elliptical would screw up body mechanics for real movement like running and walking.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast