Thread: Long time lurker, week 1 living primal! page

legendhasit is offline Junior Member

Long time lurker, week 1 living primal!

Shop Now
    Hey guys. I'm Lyndsey. A 25 year old media pro in Georgia, imported from Florida. I've been here for a year and a half and the hiking trails and river here are INCREDIBLE. It's inspired me to be more active and "play" more inbetween the gym and the stable where I ride my horse at. I've been a visitor of MarksDailyApple since the summer, taking some of his concepts and using them. But then relapsing into a drive-thru coma.

I'm about 10 lbs heavier than my goal weight. Georgia is famous for deep-fried goodness and the best craft beer I love it all. But value my health and my body more than chicken-waffles. I've stacked on 15 pounds in the year I've been here and it has to go. This week I've embraced the primal side eating nothing but: meats, fats, and berries, veggies. Still trying to making veggies taste good.

Last night I got pukey feeling just thinking about another slice of chicken and salad. I think I'm burnt out a little on my limited menu (I can't cook very well) and need encouragement! I've lost 4 lbs and want to continue...but getting sick to my stomach whenever I think about salad.

Commited though. Looking for ideas.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lindsey, welcome and good job on your progress to date.

I'm not much of a salad fan either but gradually getting more so. I like them more when I put some delicious treats in them like olives, feta, avocado, nuts and seeds. For dressings I usually use olive oil and lemon juice.

Butter and bacon can make a lot of veges taste good.

Roasted veges, especially in the drippings from roast lamb for example are very nice. Salt, pepper, herbs and spices make a difference. For example, you can even roast cauliflower with butter and indian spices or with rosemary and a little honey.

The broth from your meat bones is another option, eg sliced mushrooms simmered in a little broth until it evaporates away come out really tasty.

Feel free to visit my journal for meal ideas. The primal ingredients are awesome there is certainly no need to feel bored with eating them.

froggie is offline Member
    Hi Lindsey, definitely turn to the web or paleo books for inspiration, you'll find out there is more variety than you ever anticipated -- including "new" ingredients you may have not gotten into yet! (or never HEARD of even)

I've bought Marks' book Primal Meals under 30 minutes, it's awesome. I also have Well Fed and 'Eat like a dinosaur' (that one is to help my toddler get primal!!).
    This resource is also quite good (free too):
    Top 100 Paleo Recipes - Primal Britain

And of course Elana's pantry + Nom Nom Paleo.

It's weird and a little counter-intuitive but I've developed some food aversions over the last few months I became primal; just listen to your body and if some things don't appeal to you, don't go there, eventually you'll get interested again. In my case this happened with eggs, greens like lettuce, and yogurt. I've concentrated instead on quality red meat, other vegetables, good fats (lots of coconut) & cheese.

Best of success to you and don't look at the scale too often -- but do keep your caloric intake in check, many newcomers think they can eat a never ending supply of primal foods including TONS of fat. Just don't overdo it. Especially since your targeted weight loss is fairly small, the 10-ish pounds or less can be the hardest ones to drop!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!