Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Addiction... Please Help! page

laniayn is offline Junior Member

Question Cheese Addiction... Please Help!

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating the PB way for a month now, and I am really loving it, eating real food with real flavor. However, I am concerned about my dairy intake. I'm trying to keep it in moderation, but there is no doubt, I am a cheeseoholic and once I get a taste of it, I can't seem to stop myself from eating the whole thing. I also love creamy dressings on my salads, bleu cheese is my favorite. But its so delicious that I go way overboard. I don't know if I am lactose intolerant. I might be a little bit, but it's never been enough to really bother me. I've tried switching to oil and vinegar type dressings but they are just not satisfying me enough to make me want my big ass salad for lunch. I'm afraid that my dairy intake might be throwing off my weight loss because of the high calorie content.

I guess my questions are:
    1. Should I deprive myself of cheese since I can't control my portions, or is a once a week chunk of cheddar ok?
    2. Is there a better way to make a creamy salad dressing base that is primal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Lani

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Try some really old cheese, for me it works like 80% chocolate, the taste is nice and strong and you don't eat as much of it.
    Once a week should be fine, I am loosing weight and having some goat cheese once or twice a week. I don't crave it on the other days.
    Testing for lactose intolerance is easy. Most people notice within a week, so quit milk products for 2 weeks, drink a glass of milk and check if your sinuses clog up or you notice other effects. Should happen within a couple of hours. If it happens you can check if other milk products have the same effect, I discovered that my 30 year sinus and lung problems are related to cow milk, I can tolerate goat and sheep milk and some real butter.

laniayn is offline Junior Member
    Great advice. Thank you!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how some super strong blue cheese and cream would be as a dressing? I love blue cheese dressing too, it is definitely in my 20%. I do find if I have enough good stuff on my salad and good chunks of strong blue cheese, I do not really need dressing. I have also been trying out good quality flavor infused olive oils and vinegars, they have been a much better substitute than just plain.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

phigment is offline Senior Member
    greek yogurt, with buttermilk ranch dressing pack, and buttermilk

Greek yogurt and puree some avacado and spices of choice is my favorite.

I'm trying to find a creamy receipe without any dairy and that is hard.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    You might find fresher cheeses, due to lower histamine content, and goats'/sheeps' less addictive due to getting less of a hit from the casein, as it is less allergenic than cow's casein.

Also, you should consider that the basis of your craving for hard cheese is actually a craving for salty foods.

I suggest you try goat's/sheep's feta as it is relatively inexpensive, very tasty and tangy, and lower in fat than hard cheeses, but quite salty.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    with commercial supermarket cheese, i would binge. a small snack turned into a monster dairy orgy. ugh.

since switching to european, grass-fed cheese, i don't crave it, a small amount is just fine and then i don't think about it for many days. we also buy local grass-fed organic cream. small serving once per week is fine and it's a treat. never a cave to a crave.

ymmv.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    with commercial supermarket cheese, i would binge. a small snack turned into a monster dairy orgy. ugh.

since switching to european, grass-fed cheese, i don't crave it, a small amount is just fine and then i don't think about it for many days. we also buy local grass-fed organic cream. small serving once per week is fine and it's a treat. never a cave to a crave.

ymmv.
    I'm the same way. I think it's partially because it's more expensive, I can't afford goat cheese a lot.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what your goals are, and if the dairy is interfering with those goals.

For instance, I am now in love with heavy cream and yap, some kinds of cheeses. However, I figured that they were interfering with my weight loss goals. I wasnt gaining, but I wasnt losing. So I just cut them out, and I started moving again.

Also, dairy and (excess) fruit are my trigger foods. Too much fruit starts me to crave sugar, sugar, carbs, carbs. Too much dairy leads to more and more dairy craving. Since I now figured that thats what it does not my body, I have cut it out.

A creamy salad dressing option for me that works is a little bit of mayo and mushy avocado.

Hope this helps!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by laniayn View Post
    I have been eating the PB way for a month now, and I am really loving it, eating real food with real flavor. However, I am concerned about my dairy intake. I'm trying to keep it in moderation, but there is no doubt, I am a cheeseoholic and once I get a taste of it, I can't seem to stop myself from eating the whole thing. I also love creamy dressings on my salads, bleu cheese is my favorite. But its so delicious that I go way overboard. I don't know if I am lactose intolerant. I might be a little bit, but it's never been enough to really bother me. I've tried switching to oil and vinegar type dressings but they are just not satisfying me enough to make me want my big ass salad for lunch. I'm afraid that my dairy intake might be throwing off my weight loss because of the high calorie content.

I guess my questions are:
    1. Should I deprive myself of cheese since I can't control my portions, or is a once a week chunk of cheddar ok?
    2. Is there a better way to make a creamy salad dressing base that is primal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Lani
    I think you have to ask yourself why you find it necessary to over consume when you know you shouldn't. Do you forget as you eat the extra portions and why? You have to address your actions.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast