Thread: Hungry ? Eat. Not ? Don't page

Cayenne is offline Junior Member

Hungry ? Eat. Not ? Don't

Shop Now
    Hello Good People:

I am hoping to start some discussion, not to ask a specific question or make a specific point.

I'm a 52 y.o. male, professional w/ a sedentary career, who has been athletically active my entire adult life.

I have followed numerous different eating regimens.

Recently, I have been exposed to, for lack of a better label, what I will term, "Mindful Eating."

Yes, I'd heard, "chew your food well," since childhood, along with, "eat slowly," "don't rush your food," "sit while eating," "don't eat while doing other things," (e.g., driving, watching TV,) etc., etc., etc.

Over the last 15 years or so, I've definitely followed a LC approach to eating. Initially influenced by Dr. Atkins, up through the Drs. Eades, Gary Taubes, Dr. Attia and of course Mark Sisson. While I can't recall where, I believe I've seen the advice in the works of some (all) of these authors, to eat until satisfied, i.e., not "stuffed."

I had a tendency to disregard this important consideration, thinking of LC as "safe," almost a "free pass" to eat "as much as I want."

Recently, I have been, for the first time every, giving consideration to "Hara Hachi Bu," "Systematic Undereating,""Eat when hungry, don't when not." "REALLY REALLY REALLY sloooooowing down meals, chewing, chewing, chewing. Putting the fork down mid-meal and taking 2 minutes to breath, giving the "stretch receptors," a real chance to catch up....meditatively observing what else is going on for me when I "want" to eat, having some water at first sign of hunger and watching what happens to the sensation, etc., etc., etc.

I see now how I've had so many habits that were counterproductive. "Oh it's LC / Paleo friendly?" chomp, chomp, chomp, w/o much thought to how much & how often. I see how "racey" I am internally and how I've expressed that through eating. Calming down with eating is also calming me down generally. I'm liking it.

Anyway, this "new" approach is a process for me, but I am finding it very rewarding. I have gotten value from the work of Dr. Michelle May (AmIHungry.com) I hope it might be of value to others here.

Thanks for reading, would love to hear about the experience of others with "how" they eat, more so than "what" they eat.

Eddie

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    I do the opposite. Hungry? Eat. Full? Keep eating anyway. I just lose too much weight otherwise.

I'm very active though.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I'm not at a point where I can be trusted to make good decisions when I'm hungry. If it's remotely edible, I'll shove it in my mouth. So I have to take care to eat before I get hungry. Or at least before I get ravenous.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I suffered from morbid obesity most of my life, and now in my old age am finally at a 'normal' weight. However, I'm finding that 'normal' eating habits are harder for me to develop. My body didn't seem to have normal satiety signals, so I have had to carefully monitor food intake.

However, by paying close attention, in recent months I've begun to notice such signals. I don't know whether they've developed from my healthy, Primal eating or they were always there and I had learned to ignore them.

In any case, I'm developing the ability to stop eating when I'm satisfied and only eat when I'm hungry. I'm not really good at this yet, but I'm hoping to get better.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    I'm not at a point where I can be trusted to make good decisions when I'm hungry. If it's remotely edible, I'll shove it in my mouth. So I have to take care to eat before I get hungry. Or at least before I get ravenous.
    I'm that way too. Early in the day when I'm still full from breakfast I'll start planning my super-healthy dinner, but then if I let myself get too hungry before I eat, the fast-food gnome in my belly wakes up and demands tacos and my whole day just goes to hell.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    That is certainly what works for me. The French don't diet book taught me that. I always sit at a table and put my knife and fork down throughout, chew well and really taste my lovely fatty food I do find that having a book or texting to my kids keeps me occupied to slow down a bit too sometimes.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.