Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lies an anthropologist told me page

Kata is offline Senior Member

Lies an anthropologist told me

Shop Now
    Today I was discussing the influence of environment and nutrition on height with a biological anthropologist. He mentioned the Turkana people of Kenya, who are very tall and have traditionally depended mainly on meat, blood and milk from cattle and camels. Then he went on to call this a "high protein, low fat diet."

Whaaaaaaat?

Once I pointed out that the milk from these animals is pretty fatty, and they're probably not processing it to remove any of the fat, he agreed that this is not a low fat diet, but I still can't understand why he initially tried to pass it off as one.

Either he was trying to pull the wool over our eyes or there are multiple definitions of low-fat floating around. I hope it's the latter because this guy is a respected anthropologist, and I'd like to think that he and others in the field aren't trying to shove this kind of data into the CW worldview. That's just bad science, and also very disheartening.

What do you think?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I think ratios are very skewed depending on what paradigm you start from.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I've always been under the impression that if any specific macro makes up more than about 40% of your diet, you can call that a high-whatever diet. I haven't been able to find any hard data on typical Turkana macro ratios, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that if the staples in your diet are meat, blood, and raw whole milk, both fat and protein will be higher than carbs, which they apparently have to trade with neighboring peoples for because they don't produce them themselves. Maybe they consume more protein than fat, but I think that's pretty unlikely.

Isn't the blood just for rituals? That's how the Masai use it, I don't know about this tribe. I would expect most calories to come from fat, since regular access to dairy plus whole animal consumption skews the protein down a bit. I doubt blood consumption accounts for much caloric intake percentage-wise. Higher blood consumption might change the ratio and move it a little back toward protein, I doubt it would even end up 50/50 though. But, without knowing more about this tribe, I'm just speculating here.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

I don't know much about them either, but from what I understand they consume blood as regular food, like the Mongolians do. Probably not copious amounts of it, but I don't think it's purely ceremonial. Regardless, this is not by any means a low-fat diet.

What perplexed me the most is that it's so obvious, but he ignored the reality and called it something else entirely.

There is much confusion. Professors are torn between teaching what is real and what they think is healthy.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Maybe he just mis-spoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Maybe he just mis-spoke?
    Maybe, but I doubt it. He's said stuff like this before. He always made a big deal about the protein it takes to build big brains, but he basically pretends fat never existed before now, although he does admit the the SAD is high fat AND high carbohydrate.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    What do you think?
    I think people don't really think about the numbers.

Once you realize that most people in developed countries eat only something like 10 - 15% protein. (You could make that 20 to 25% for some low carb diets, and up to 30% for paleo, and you max out at around 35%.) One you realize that, you see that protein doesn't amount to much in calorific terms and you energy requirtements have to be met from somewhere.

I think he's not operating with any clearer idea than Bear Grylls is when he pops an insewct into his mouth and says, "Good protein, there."

He doubtless has some wualitative knowledge, but if he were to actually think about the figures he'd realize he was talking through his hat. He can't have done that.
    Last edited by Lewis; 12-01-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Drat my typing - not going to correct it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast