Thread: Kotato's Primal Journal - Getting back on track!

Threaded View

Kotato's Primal Journal - Getting back on track!

Hi all! This is my first post, but I decided to introduce myself by way of a journal, as one of the main reasons I finally decided to make an account was to get myself thinking about what I'm doing daily and why.

To make a long story short, I'm a female in my early 20s, and I found the PB almost two years ago. I lost ~20lbs relatively quickly (with occasional cheating and relatively light exercise), but then some things in my personal life came up, and I went on some vacations, and I lost focus. I still tried to claim I was basically on the PB, but I was cheating way too often--nachos, rice, candy, even bread! I also let my gym membership expire, thinking I could save money by exercising outdoors.

Well, it turns out I'm the type who needs a gym to have any chance of working out (especially once it gets cold), and my eating habits weren't doing me any favors. My trusty metabolism did me the favor of not letting me put any significant weight back on--but that just ended up giving me an excuse not to get back on track sooner.

Over the last year or so, I've tried a few times to get my motivation back again, with varying success. I signed back up at the gym, and I did a Whole 30 over the summer, with moderate results. I lost another 10 - 12 pounds, but my weight stabilized again once the summer was over.

Lately, I've been a little overwhelmed by the stress of applying to graduate school while working full time, and I've been using it as an excuse to eat lots of my favorite how-bad-can-it-be-if-it's-not-wheat comfort foods: Thai take-out curry with rice, french fries, tortilla chips, Reese's peanut butter cups... Alright, I have a lot of terrible comfort foods.

I'm still in the thick of applications, but I'm realizing that I don't want to wait any longer to get focused again. I've already accepted that the PB is the right way to live--meaning that I'm never going back to a carb-based diet. So if I'm giving up pasta and donuts on a daily basis, I might as well have something to show for it, right?

I'm thinking of trying some Very Low Carb eating to force myself back into a fat-burning state, as one of the things I really miss from my early days on the PB is the lack of hunger. Even though I'm eating at least 70% primal these days, hunger is a huge problem for me, which makes me think that I might still be having blood sugar issues.

Anyhow, I'll finish this long post with some baseline stats:

Height: 5'5"
    Current weight: ~142 lbs
    Lowest weight ever: ~140.5 lbs (a few weeks ago... before Thanksgiving!)
    Weight before PB: ~170 lbs
    Highest weight ever: 250 lbs (this was about 6 years ago--I lost a lot of it just by eating fewer calories and walking more)
    Goal weight: I'm honestly not sure, but let me just say that being extremely bottom-heavy makes 5'5" and 142 lbs look a lot worse than I had hoped. On the bright side, I sometimes wear size XS tops.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to sharing my progress!
    Last edited by Kotato; 11-30-2012 at 02:50 PM.