Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kotato's Primal Journal - Getting back on track! page 2

Kotato is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Just a quick note... Today I've eaten maybe 20 pistachios and a small bowl of chicken broth with a little cheese and maybe a third of an avocado in it (I ordered chicken, but that got left out). I've probably eaten 300 calories, and I am weirdly not hungry. Hope this means I'm burning fat.

Sometimes I think back to how I ate back in college when I was losing weight very rapidly and steadily. I was all about the math back then and paid no attention to CW regarding eating most of your calories in the morning--it didn't bother me to eat minimally at breakfast and lunch, so I always saved up my calories for a satisfying dinner. I lost weight eating a lot of pad thai, believe it or not. The basic math does work, especially when you're as obese as I was--but I wonder if the timing might have had something to do with it. I often ate 200 - 300 calories for breakfast and lunch combined, and it didn't bother me, as long as I got my dinner. Almost sounds like a warrior diet fast... Something to think about. Definitely going to experiment with minimal day-eating, or at least more breakfast-skipping, in the future.

I've already decided that I'm eating sweet potato fries at the bar I'm going to tonight, because man, I've eaten basically no carbs/food today, and I freaking love sweet potato fries. Vegetable oil be damned. Plus, I'm honestly curious to see what effect it'll have on my weight, as it's the sort of indulgence I'd like to be able to have now and then. Telling myself this doesn't count as breaking my sugar restriction. We'll see what happens.
    23, F, 5'5" and ~140lbs
    My mostly-dormant journal

Alcohol has a tendency to less-than-ideal food choices... Ended up eating wayyy too much food last night. Started off alright with a glass of wine, a bunless burger with bacon and a fried egg, and sweet potato fries. I was there doing work with a friend, though, so as the night went on, I ended up also having a martini, about 6 hot wings, and a too-large number of tortilla chips with salsa.

Yeah, the tortilla chips definitely went against my "nothing obviously bad" restriction... And I strongly suspect that the sauce on the hot wings was not completely free of sugar. My stomach was pretty uncomfortable by the time I went to sleep.

I ended up fasting until about 3 PM today, at which point I had some pistachios (would have gotten some real food, but I've been stuck at my desk). I wasn't too alarmingly hungry, but my brain didn't feel great by the end. I think I feel okay now, after the pistachios. Wondering if I can go until dinner now.
    23, F, 5'5" and ~140lbs

ElleYang is offline Junior Member
    Hey! Just wanted to stop by with some encouragement. I'm also applying to graduate school while working full-time. And I've been primal on and off since March. I've already given in to plenty of holiday office treats. But we must power on!

Hey, thanks for the encouragement! What kind of grad school are you applying to?

Man, I've been bad about keeping this food journal... and now I have absolutely no memory of my food over the past week. On the topic of holiday office treats, we had a party at a Mexican restaurant on Monday, and I definitely ate:

- A huge number of tortilla chips (like, more than anyone else at the party)
    - Deep fried potato-wrapped-in-tortilla thing
    - Rice
    - Beans
    - Stew with potatoes

Ahhhh, so embarrassing. I did skip the flan, though... Like it counted for much, by that point. On the other hand, I've still managed to avoid all the outright sweets that have been around lately. Hardest one was the dark chocolate caramel sea salt truffles my friend made for a cookie exchange party. I freaking love those truffles, and I actually thought I was going to give in, but somehow I didn't (getting distracted by Die Hard helped).

Right now, I'm most concerned about my plan after this. I'm generally very good at sticking to outright, limited challenges, but the problem is that I a) aggressively pursue loopholes (e.g., carb binging on tortilla chips because at least it's not sugar), and b) immediately revert once the challenge is over.

I know I'm going to eat chocolate and maple-butter pecans and gravy and mashed potatoes over the holidays. But what about after that? I know that I want to get back to the gym more regularly once these stupid apps are done with, but I also know from personal experience that exercise doesn't help much with weight loss. Maybe if I could get myself back into heavier lifting? Less eating during the day? 1 higher-carb day a week? I need to think about this some more and figure out how I want to approach the new year.
    23, F, 5'5" and ~140lbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12